Hunting season 2012/2013

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Almost fall/winter. Time for a new hunting thread. Post up pictures/ videos and stories of your hunting adventures.
Scott

I bought a Beeman dual caliber air gun on sale at Wally World before my accident. Looking forward to taking out some grackles and crows this fall, among other critters. .410 bolt action also works pretty good on groundhogs ;).

i've posted this on another forum, but i am finally going to try my luck at hunting this year. i have wanted to do it all my life, and i have talked about going for years...but never have. this year, it's all lined up. my buddy has agreed to take me duck, partridge and deer hunting. his dad sold me his old remington 1100 and i have a tikka M695 waiting for me on layaway. hopefully...i'll be able to contribute to this thread later this fall. ;)

Today I completed Maryland Hunter's Safety.

Woo-hoo!

I feel like Star Wars when Obi Wan Kenobi said that Luke "Has taken his first step into a larger world."

-Stan

It's good to see you guys getting into hunting. Not as many people hunt anymore. Good to keep an American Tradition alive. Bow season in Md. is opening a week earlier this year. My bow is at the shop getting a new string and arrows made up. Glad to back using a vertical bow this year. Sure do miss the challenge. I'm using my old school Jennings Black Lightning compound bow. I don't care for the high tech bows that are on the market.
Scott

Today I completed Maryland Hunter's Safety.

Woo-hoo!

I feel like Star Wars when Obi Wan Kenobi said that Luke "Has taken his first step into a larger world."

-Stan

congrats! are you a first-time hunter too stan?

Last edited:
Yes I am.

I have always wanted to learn. Life got in the way.

Now I must learn so that I can train my daughter someday -- right now she is two.

-Stan

nice. i have a similar story. actually, my oldest son, just last night, told me he would like try bowhunting. this was a pretty big surprise because he does not like guns or hunting. so, looks like next year i might try bowhunting too. it would be pretty cool to do that together.

good luck this season stan.

Looking forward to hunting season and contributing to this thread. I'm planning to do a little more small game hunting this year and hopefully try some trapping. Seen a few coyotes and quite a bit of sign last year, so I'm gonna try my luck with some footholds.

Also, looking forward to taking my kids hunting in a couple years. This afternoon my son wanted to watch "turkey huntin", so we did. He's already talking about going.

Hope to take out a hog Weds night when I go to the ranch to check cows. Dove season starts 9/1 here so we will be at it.
Stan -Congrats on trying hunting. I find it one of the few activities that slows down my brain from the 20 conference calls and 1000+ emails per week. Yes I do recieve and send that many....... Bow hunting is especially relaxing. My best hunts are when I managed to have a bird land less than an arms length away. That gets the heart pounding, knowing you melted into the sceneary well enough to be accepted by the critters.

Looking forward to hunting season and contributing to this thread. I'm planning to do a little more small game hunting this year and hopefully try some trapping. Seen a few coyotes and quite a bit of sign last year, so I'm gonna try my luck with some footholds.

Also, looking forward to taking my kids hunting in a couple years. This afternoon my son wanted to watch "turkey huntin", so we did. He's already talking about going.

:thumbup: good deal kyturkey. that's cool your kid is already interested.

my buddy hit me today saying that first weekend of september, we are gonna head out and build the duck blind(s). and speaking of small game...would like to try my luck at squirrel/rabbit hunting too. heck, i want to try it all and see what i like.

Went out for my first hunt of the year over Labor Day weekend. Bear season is open and thats what I was looking for. I ran into more people and dogs than I have ever seen in the woods, so things turned into more of a backpacking trip than a hunting trip. Some guys I talked to up there told me someone wrote an article on the area that was published in a couple magazines and thats why so many people have started hiking the area.
This is where I went.
102_0797.jpg

This is the gun I was packing
102_0810.jpg

I found an old crashed airplane that had a date of 10-42 on a wheel rim, looked to have been there a long time
102_0763.jpg

wow...that's crazy about the plane. looks like beautiful country. and that's quite a pistol you're packing....what is it?

went out to set up duck blinds early sunday morning. got to spend the morning paddling around in a kayak. think i am going to like this hunting thing. :)

we may head out for goose sometime this week. so hopefully, i will be able to add some pics. though, he did caution me how hard it is to have success goose hunting around here.

The pistol is a Thompson Center Contender in .35 Remington.

I'm sure you'll like duck and goose hunting. Our duck season don't start until mid october.

The pistol is a Thompson Center Contender in .35 Remington.

I'm sure you'll like duck and goose hunting. Our duck season don't start until mid october.

VT duck season doesn't either. Oct 13. just preppin. thanks JR.

Looks great Jason. Love the TC Contender and Encore. I've got 3 Contender frames and 2 Encore frames. Many barrels.
I doubt I'll be going out for Friday's opener for bow season. Suppose to 90 degrees and humid.
Scott

Picked up a new climbing treestand. A Summit Viper classic. Haven't used a climber in years. They come a long way since the old one I had in the 1980's.
Scott

I feel stupid asking this question, but I don't know much about hunting...

Does that mean you picked up a new stand or something for climbing into it? Or both?

The stand is new. You climb the tree with the stand. It has two pieces, a base to stand on and a second piece used to climb with. You sit on the top section, lift the base with your feet until you reach how high you want to be. it's stand and sit type of climbing.
Scott

Back