Hunting season 2012/2013

Went out for my first hunt of the year over Labor Day weekend. Bear season is open and thats what I was looking for. I ran into more people and dogs than I have ever seen in the woods, so things turned into more of a backpacking trip than a hunting trip. Some guys I talked to up there told me someone wrote an article on the area that was published in a couple magazines and thats why so many people have started hiking the area.
This is where I went.
102_0797.jpg

This is the gun I was packing
102_0810.jpg

I found an old crashed airplane that had a date of 10-42 on a wheel rim, looked to have been there a long time
102_0763.jpg

That is beautiful country!

The stand is new. You climb the tree with the stand. It has two pieces, a base to stand on and a second piece used to climb with. You sit on the top section, lift the base with your feet until you reach how high you want to be. it's stand and sit type of climbing.
Scott

Ok, I'm with you now! Thanks for the explanation.

Scott you are going to love that Summit. I swaped to them years ago. Only climing stand I hunt out of. Light weight and comfortable.

Hitting the woods Friday for an evening bow hunt. Shooting the muzzleloader in the morning with stanley white. This year will be his first time hunting whitetails. He's hunting with me and my buddy Craig for the early muzzleloader season in Oct. I hope we score so he can get an awesome experience doing my favorite pastime. I'm sure once he draws first blood, he'll be hooked. Nothing like the fall woods and chasing whitetails.
Scott

Hitting the woods Friday for an evening bow hunt. Shooting the muzzleloader in the morning with stanley white. This year will be his first time hunting whitetails. He's hunting with me and my buddy Craig for the early muzzleloader season in Oct. I hope we score so he can get an awesome experience doing my favorite pastime. I'm sure once he draws first blood, he'll be hooked. Nothing like the fall woods and chasing whitetails.
Scott

awesome. that's good of you to take stanley out. good luck!

Here's and older pic. Piebald 7 pointer, 178 pounds killed in 1999 with a crossbow, Oct. 7th. One of the neatest hunts I ever had. Rattled him up from a creek bottom. One grunt and he was within 15 yds.
Scott

gossman.jpg

Well, the dear is straight up awesome, but that beard is magnificent! Way to go on both!

Yes it is!

I just returned from getting to know Scott's muzzleloader. Fun!

-Stan

sweet! i picked up my deer rifle this weekend. took it to the range yesterday after work. fun indeed.

good luck stan. looking forward to the pics. :)

-todd

Well, the dear is straight up awesome, but that beard is magnificent! Way to go on both!
HA!
Yes it is!

I just returned from getting to know Scott's muzzleloader. Fun!

-Stan

Cool man! I like getting groundhogs with .410 and .22, but wonder how it is with a muzzleloader? Just targets or did you guys get anything?

sweet! i picked up my deer rifle this weekend. took it to the range yesterday after work. fun indeed.

good luck stan. looking forward to the pics. :)

-todd

Thanks for the good luck!

What kind of deer rifle?

HA!

Cool man! I like getting groundhogs with .410 and .22, but wonder how it is with a muzzleloader? Just targets or did you guys get anything?

Per discussion with Scott the best chance at getting a deer is during the first three days of muzzle loader season.

I have never hunted animals of the four legged variety. I had never fired a muzzle loader. I consider myself good with weapons due to military experience, interesting civilian employment and multiple deployments etc.

However, since I have never used a muzzle loader Scott wanted me to get familiar with his and I am sure he also wanted to see if I am safe and accurate with a rifle. I think I met Scott's expectations though I had good accuracy on a target and terrible accuracy trying to hit a balloon at 100 yards. :D

My assessment of the muzzle loader is that it is good for 150 yards and in. You are most likely only going to get one shot so make it good.

I am really excited.

Many thanks again for Scott taking the time to school me.

-Stan

My hunting partner and I went out yesterday to scout or deer area for the upcoming bow season (Oct. 15). Bagged a few squirrels with our .22's. Right now bear season is still open so will be going out for those a few days this coming week. Deciding between my 30-30 levergun, or my 30-06 scoped rifle. Good luck everyone!

-Paul

Best of luck to you also Paul.
Stan, did real well shooting and loading the muzzleloader. I have alot of confidence he will do good if we have a deer in site next month. There are plenty over at the farm. 7 does were sited yesterday evening when we bow hunted.
Scott

Dad and I went to the range Friday for him to sight in some 180 gr. bullets for his upcoming bear hunt. If he misses it's his own fault, can't blame the gun.

I bought my first trail camera this year, and it's been out for a couple weeks now. Got photos of three bucks and some does. None of them are very big. Here's the biggest buck

WGI_0052.jpg

Twice when, I've been out there, I've come up on a group of turkeys. Can't wait for fall season to get here.

Well this weekend is the youth and 100% disabled veterans deer hunt.I had a friend invite me to hunt his property in Rock,Mi.I got a private land doe tag.At first light I had a huge doe walk in by herself.I put the crosshairs behind her shoulder and sqeezed the trigger.I took out both of her lungs and she only ran 40 yards and fell over. I used my Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 300 Winchester magnum.I love that rifle I have killed Caribou and deer with it.All have been one shot kills. So time for some venison stew!!!!!

Haven't been hunting much because of the dry and hot weather we been having but caught this King Salmon last week. We had a couple silvers on but lost them. It was a good morning.
103_0970.jpg

103_0973.jpg

Back