Hunting season 2012/2013

wow. great fish there jason. thanks for the pics. :thumbup:

i've been out for partridge (or squirrel) a few times. no luck. duck weekend opens this weekend in VT. going out sat and sun. hopefully, i'll be able to have some pics to share.

went out duck hunting this morning for the first time. we were in just the wrong spot. sounded like the 4th of july all around us, but we only had 2 ducks fly by. we'll try again tomorrow morning. we did get one.

breasted it with my UNK. worked great! wish i could have done pics, but hard to do one-handed.

wasn't even going to bother with pics, since it's not overly jaw-dropping. but, i figured heck...i like to see pics, so i will post it up. here he is. male wood duck.

8083700082_c399bc1944_b.jpg

Stanley White came up today for our 2 day muzzleloader hunt for deer. We got rained out this morning and this evening was a bust. The weather just wasn't right today. Hopefully tomorrow will be eventful.
Scott

Stanley White came up today for our 2 day muzzleloader hunt for deer. We got rained out this morning and this evening was a bust. The weather just wasn't right today. Hopefully tomorrow will be eventful.
Scott

going out for duck tomorrow morning. raining now, but supposed to let up by the a.m.

good luck Scott (and Stan). looking forward to seeing some pics tomorrow. :D

445am enroute to this morning's hunt!

-Stan

Good luck stan (and scott).

wanna here a funny story? so, i get up at 4 a.m. ... meet up with my buddy and his dad ... we drive an hour to get to our duck hunting spot. My buddy says, "that's weird that no one else is here." we start loading up the boat. and, i hear "Shit. It ain't duck season." our season goes from Oct 13-17, then again Oct 27-Dec 20. He's like, "i coulda sworn it ended tomorrow." Whoops! His dad says, "In all my years of waterfowl hunting, this has never happened to me. I have never even heard of it happening before."

Honestly, i got a good chuckle out of it. it's a good story. plus, i get to ridicule my buddy mercilessly now. :D

It's a good thing he checked though. if we got out there and started shooting....whoa mama...the wardens are serious. we would have left in handcuffs and they would have taken his truck, boat and all our gear.

nice day for apple picking?

Quite an eventful day. First Stan shot a small doe on a two man drive with my buddy Craig. Then we set up for an evening hunt overlooking an old crop field. A spike buck came out of a large set of woods right before dark and Stan made a 160 yd shot dropping him in his tracks! What an awesome end to the day. I'm sure he will fill everyone in with more details. Pics forthcoming.
Scott

Awesome! congrats guys. very exciting. looking forward to the pics. nice shot stan! :thumbup:

Quite an eventful day. First Stan shot a small doe on a two man drive with my buddy Craig. Then we set up for an evening hunt overlooking an old crop field. A spike buck came out of a large set of woods right before dark and Stan made a 160 yd shot dropping him in his tracks! What an awesome end to the day. I'm sure he will fill everyone in with more details. Pics forthcoming.
Scott

Endless thank you's to Scott and his buddy Craig for taking the time to teach me how to deer hunt!

I had a GREAT time!

I will post something more thoughtful and detailed tomorrow or the next day. I have some good pics but my host is all jacked up so I'll get back to everyone.

Thank you for the congratulations and well wishes.

Dinner tonight was venison stew -- yum!

-Stan

Scott has the pictures of the spike buck as my camera phone doesn't work well at night. Here are the pictures of "the doe incident" as I will call it. :D

Note the Gossman PSK SR in S-7 in use throughout. It worked like a charm! Later in the day I got to use Scott's UNK and the modified sheepsfoot blade is far superior for game usage.

More thoughtful dialogue to follow tomorrow evening.

000_zps67cafa68.jpg

001_zps14379273.jpg

002_zps9fd641ae.jpg

003_zpseda5da46.jpg

004_zpsf45cdb9e.jpg

004-1_zps71c839d0.jpg

005_zpsb2041fa3.jpg

006_zpsaf63d5ed.jpg

007_zpsf6bd5167.jpg

008_zps3f9f7ddd.jpg

IMG_2554_zpsc48adead.jpg

IMG_2556_zps7761b431.jpg

IMG_2557_zps238c8f31.jpg

IMG_2559_zpse104f368.jpg

IMG_2560_zps3d7d8db9.jpg

IMG_2560-1_zpsc0aa707e.jpg

The meat.

IMG_2563_zpse28e647b.jpg

The stew -- yum!

IMG_2564_zps8ed97e83.jpg

-Stan

nice pics stan! awesome. very happy for you. and, i'll tell ya...you looked pretty happy in the pics too. ;) :D congrats!

It was a very successful day Saturday. I will post pics of the spike tomorrow. Busy day today.
Scott

Now that I am caught up on sleep and the rest of the demands of my life I can write a more thoughtful post.

Scott and I planned to hunt on Friday and Saturday. Friday morning was cancelled due to weather. Friday night we established a position around 5pm and sat until the lightening came. We did not hear or see anything.

Saturday morning we occupied a very large tree stand, which I would refer to as a tree house, from about 5:30am to 9:30am and didn't see or hear anything. Following this we, with the assistance of Scott's friend Craig, conducted several drives which resulted in nothing heard or seen. Just prior to lunch Craig and I walked on line up the thicket in the photo above which is where the doe was killed.

Craig startled the doe and it ran towards me until it saw I was there and ran the opposite way. I fired. The doe kept running. Craig fired. The doe kept running. Then I noticed that the doe's stomach was falling out as it ran. It ran for about 80 yards and dropped. I put the rifle I was using on safe, reloaded, and began to close with the downed doe with Craig. By the time we arrived on scene the doe was dead.

Craig and I discussed the scenario over and over again. I was convinced that I missed and Craig hit because the deer just kept running and I didn't see the stomach hanging out until after Craig shot. Craig insisted that he saw the stomach hanging out before he shot and that he saw his shot hit the dirt. Based upon this I was credited with the kill.

Using the PSK SR that Scott made for me and under his expert instruction I gutted the doe. We then returned to the barn, hung up the doe, and using Scott's UNK for comparison purposes I did the skinning and butchering. Man oh man was that modified sheepsfoot blade on the UNK easy to use!

That evening we occupied the tree stand / tree house at 5pm. We had been told by another hunter that around 6:30pm a large doe had been appearing to feed in the field that our position overlooked. Sure enough at 6:45pm the doe showed up, Scott spotted it through his binoculars. The light was so low that it took Scott and I whispering for 90 seconds for me to find the doe in the scope. Once I found it I aimed and shot.

Once the smoke cleared I looked through the scope to see that the doe had dropped. It raised its head one more time and then died. Scott and I carefully climbed down from our position, I reloaded, then we approached the doe. We arrived and under our headlamps realized that it was not a doe but a spike buck. Scott and I were both excited. We found the bullet hole which was right behind the front legs about halfway up the torso which instantly took out the heart and lungs. Scott told me that he had used his rangefinder earlier and the shot was 160 yards. Scott then used the PSK SR to gut the deer and upon returning to the barn skinned and butchered it using his UNK.

Overall I could not have been more happy with the entire experience. I grew up a "city kid" and learned what I do know about the outdoors through my military experiences. For the last few years I had wanted to learn how to hunt but life demands took precedence. Lucky for me Scott was gracious enough with his time and years of experience. Thank you Scott!

I also cannot say enough about Scott's friend Craig. Craig was very kind to drive while Scott and I stayed in position as well as share his knowledge and experience with me. Thank you Craig!

-Stan

Back