Hunting sheaths?

Novak77

Gold Member
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. This might be a silly question. But why don't a lot of the hunting/bushcraft sheaths come with a snap/handle retention strap on them?

I'm prior service Army Infantry so maybe I'm looking at this from a tactical standpoint. I recently bought a Bark River Gunny Hunter and its a killer knife, but the sheath leaves me wondering if it will hold the knife in there?

This is my first time deer hunting (been bird hunting for 5 years now). I guess my concern is me rolling down a hill or taking a spill and my knife not being in the sheath when I get up. I know that might sound silly but I like to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Novak77, A well made pouch sheath will hold the knife at least as well it not better than a snap retention type. When I finish mine, the final test is to turn it upside down and try to shake it out, if it comes out, then back to the drawing board. A pouch sheath also allows easier access and you won't have a strap to become damaged. rtmind/Randy

There are sheaths and there are sheaths...
A well made pouch can and will have a snap fit that will be quite secure.
A mass produced, one size fits many, pouch sheath may not be all that secure.
If you are worried about it, carry it in your pack. You'll have plenty of time to get it out when your game is on the ground.

Oh, and that upside down shake test?
Be careful with that eh?
A long time ago and not too far away that test got me some stitches...

Agreed. Good sheaths can be fitted so that a strap is not only not necessary but a hinderance. Look at the pic below. He's wearing one of my knife and sheaths above his left front pocket. Lots of G's here. Way more snap than taking a tumble.

okN6D3y.jpg

My sheaths see a lot of rough country use and no straps, Nevada.

MU8YGvr.jpg

France:

zlisKYP.jpg

Here in Cali:

DQYpYQZ.jpg

pSS4KON.jpg

GDf57cE.jpg

Wrassling calves:

2abugAN.jpg

MMGCGn7.jpg

Anyhoo point being if done right straps aren't needed.

Agreed. Good sheaths can be fitted so that a strap is not only not necessary but a hinderance. Look at the pic below. He's wearing one of my knife and sheaths above his left front pocket. Lots of G's here. Way more snap than taking a tumble.

okN6D3y.jpg

My sheaths see a lot of rough country use and no straps, Nevada.

MU8YGvr.jpg

France:

zlisKYP.jpg

Here in Cali:

DQYpYQZ.jpg

pSS4KON.jpg

GDf57cE.jpg

Wrassling calves:

2abugAN.jpg

MMGCGn7.jpg

Anyhoo point being if done right straps aren't needed.

Thanks for all the awesome pics with examples. If those guys are fine riding bulls I'm sure I will be just fine lol.

There are sheaths and there are sheaths...
A well made pouch can and will have a snap fit that will be quite secure.
A mass produced, one size fits many, pouch sheath may not be all that secure.
If you are worried about it, carry it in your pack. You'll have plenty of time to get it out when your game is on the ground.

Oh, and that upside down shake test?
Be careful with that eh?
A long time ago and not too far away that test got me some stitches...

Thanks for the pack idea. I'm still gonna carry my pocket knife too (I feel naked without it and a belt lol) so stashing it in a pack sounds like the way to go.

Novak77, A well made pouch sheath will hold the knife at least as well it not better than a snap retention type. When I finish mine, the final test is to turn it upside down and try to shake it out, if it comes out, then back to the drawing board. A pouch sheath also allows easier access and you won't have a strap to become damaged. rtmind/Randy

Gotcha and thanks for the input. I think I am way overthinking it lol.

Asking questions is how we learn, plenty of folks on here have answered my questions. Randy

I carry my knife in my pack until I need it. Belt carry interferes with the hip pack straps, and I prefer not to attach it to the shoulder straps as it gets in the way.

Come up with this deal some years back. A set of three knives: The Sonoran Hunter, The Sonoran Skinner and The Sonoran Belt Knife. Each comes with an individual sheath but if ya order all three together then I will build the Pack Pac for the two larger knives for free as part of the set:

yZDb5fe.jpg

M3woQ5Y.jpg

dctWL3f.jpg

oygI7X8.jpg

Just keep the two bigger knives in their Pack Pac in your pack, truck or jeep till needed.

Back