Hutning knife poll???

kyhunt

Basic Member
Just curious what everbody else actually uses in the field. 110,119,105,102,Vanguard , Alpha minialpha, or something else. Just wanting to see what the trend is. I personally uses 110 or vanguard. I'm just nosey.

S30V Cabelas 110.
S30V cabelas Folding alpha hunter guthook.
191 and 691 Zipper.
Alpha hunter guthook ATS-34.
110 Ionfusion
Vanguard 692 Buckcote.

This is my usual rotation. It varies :D

Man to have to rotate that much you must do alot of hunting. Those Cabelas S30V 110's are sweet aren't they. I have the stag.

I don't hunt...but If I was a squirrel hunter, I'd use my Scimitar or Frontiersman.

Probably the Kalinga S30V for larger game.

For years a 102 woodsman, and maybe a little trapper or duke folder.
maybe 30 deer, a few elk, 15 or so prongies and few hundred coyote and other fur bearers.

Then for a bit a Vangard. but its just a little too clumsy for me. For me the perfect would be a 7/8 or 3/4 scale vangard. The mini mentor (non gut hook) is a pretty good size, so make a vangard in that size. I really like the mini alpha blade shape, but do not care for the exposed tang mini grip panels. I would prefer a better set of scales on it. I also prefer the older ATS 34 steels to the newer s 30 v. Maybe the newer stuff has some better properties, but ATS 34 is so fine grained that it is far less likely to chip or get a ragged edge than the three S30V blades I own. If you use a buffing wheel or a strop on ATS 34 you get an edge so sharp that it is just flat scary, and it holds up for ages too.

Guntotin fool. Bass Pro does carry a 3/4 size vanguard. Mini Vanguard. I havent seen one in person. It would help if I could spell Hunting instead of hutning.

Buck Vanguard in ATS-34
Buck 110s (Cabelas in S30V, a couple of customs in BG-42)
Swamp Rat Safari Skinner
Geno Denning custom hunter

Got a bird a few weeks back and I actually cleaned it with a Busse Active Duty.

I don't have pics of all of them, but here are a few pics.

SS.jpg

DenningHunter.jpg

BG42pair2.jpg

attachment.php

Oh, and if anybody wants to get rid of a Master Series Vanguard in BG-42, how about giving me a shout? :D

77c1_31.jpg

I might go for one of those mini Vanguards in a premiums steel like ATS-34, BG-42, or S30V. What are the odds, I wonder.

Guyon, Those are nice looking 110's but the Vanguard is beautiful.

Fallkniven NL3 for boar hunting
My Dad's Puma Jagdnicker from 1970 for deer.

I bought a Waidmannsheil folder with gut blade on eBay not too long ago to replace my Puma folder that got stolen. Not quite the same as far as quality goes, but a great knife for the price (around $ 65.-)

(BTW, the pumaonly page is down. Too bad)

i have not been camping or hunting for quite a while
when i did go i took two.
the 124 & 110
fishing i take a 560 and a 121 and a real
cheeeeeeep one to use at the edge of the boat or dock

I too, have slowed my hunting and camping to a crawl.....but since I'm getting old, why not indulge my abundant verbosity?

Yeah, I think Dave's big knife plus small knife method is wise (although I always have my even smaller Buck 444 stashed on my person somewhere, and use it a lot).

Probably don't really NEED the big knife except to honor tradition (and it feels good on the hip).

For serious hunting where weight is a factor, I carry a lightweight four-inch Browning folder with a drop point and a Leatherman because it comes in handy for so many things.

BTW.....for you campers....Kabar now offers a really nice Hobo at a very reasonable price.

It IS made "Offshore," but it's really well done.

That's not my Vanguard, but I'd love to find one like that.

Wouldn't we all!!!! Sweet knife!!!!!!! Maybe thats why they are so hard to come by! I will stick with the ATS-34 for now, thanks Guyon :D

BTW.....for you campers....Kabar now offers a really nice Hobo at a very reasonable price.

It IS made "Offshore," but it's really well done.

Hey Rocky...
I love those Hobo's. I got the KaBar and a Case. The Case is my favorite. Still wish Buck would come out with a stag Hobo.

Back