Hydraulic forging press plans.

Hi guys I need some specs for a hydraulic forging press 35-40 tons, H frame.
Can somebody help me with a "shoping list" form Nothern Tools or so: what do I need.
Also some plans for the frame would be good.
I got that book (not have it yet): How to build your own....
But that one is for a C frame.
What would be thew ideal Press how much force?
How much is too much?
Thanks!!
P.S. I am new here also I am new at playing with steel:-)

Here is a parts listing that I used to build my press. If I had to do it again I would go with a minimum of a 5" cylinder and a H frame.
PARTS LISTING
SUPPLIER PART# DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
NORTHERN 1053-C161 BARNES 2 STAGE PUMP -11GPM
2010-C161 PRINCE STANDARD 4-WAY CONTROL VALVE
4051-C161 7 GALLONS HYDRAULIC OIL TANK MUST CLEAN THE INSIDE WELL
4022-C161 RETURN LINE FILTER
4010-C161 SUCTION STRAINER THIS GOES INTO THE TANK
FITTINGS AND HOSES YOU WILL NEED 3 HI- PRESSURE HOSES AND LOW PRESSURE HOSE FOR THE RETURN.
53606-C161 GLYCERIN FILLED GAUGE 0-3000PSI
SURPLUS CENTER 10-1485 ELECTRIC MOTOR I USE A 3 HP AT 3250 RPMS
09 4954 HYDRAULIC CYLINDER I USE A 4 1/2" BORE X 8" STROKE WITH THE PUMP AND MOTOR SHOULD BE GENERATE 24 TONS

The book is available from ABS web site and I think Don Fogg might still have them.
This book is a great reference even if you buy a press. It will give you all the stats you may want to know.

Chuck

I built mine off of Jim Batson's H-frame plans. The old book was just a C-frame but I think the newer one has both. Also, I've found 20 -24 ton with a 4" cylinder to be plenty for what I do but a larger cylinder and higher pressure will get you higher tonnage if you think you need it. I have pics of mine on my site. Don Fogg also has a 'Press Gallery'.

Thanks guys!! I will try to build one and post pictures. Just for making damascus and playing with iron.

And another question:-). Where can I find Steel Powder? It seems it is a secret on the Internet nowhere to be found:-)

Researching the press I found the prices to be ridiculously funny: $10000-$gigantic. Wonder why?? Maybe because they are "supposed" to be expensive...
I looked on the websites: the knives are ....very nice. Crazy bowie:-)
I want to start forging metal because of the african blacksmiths. I have a large collection of African spears and I am intrigued by the skills of this people sometimes just using stones to forge. I am posting a picture with some of the spears.
I wonder how hard would be to forge stuff like this...
spea.jpg

Thanks . I get that is kinda hard to find...I live in GA. Do they sell large or small quantities?
Cool cat and bowies:-).

Try Darren Ellis' website to get Kelly cupples pricelist and also an intro to a popular press.

Good luck, Craig

Is it necessary to run more than 20 tons on a press? I was looking at a press through Harbor Freight. They want about 700.00 for it and it doesn't take up too much space. I wanted to try Damascus someday but don't have the neighborhood to beat on a anvil in my garage. I thought something like that would suffice. I may not be able to produce a large volume of steel but I hope I could still get quailty welds...comments....Gary

though it can be done at lower than 20t I would make 20t the minimum. I have hear that some do forge at 15t but that would be the absolute minimum. Also The press at HF, If it a log splitter or an H frame hand operated one?? The hand operated presses are not fast enough. You need at least 2 inches/second. A 4 inch cylinder with an 11/2.5 gpm 2 stage pump would be good a 6" cyl even better. You can get a press for $3500 fob from a couple of places. These are made specifically for the knifesmith. I would get the largest one you can afford/fit in your shop. You can always use less pressure than it puts out but if you need more it will take a major overhaul to set it up.

Chuck

here is a neat spear forging video.

This would be a neat thing to build once i have a place to put it. :)

Thanks guys. That calculator is great. Along with the Indian George's shopping list is what I need it to know.
Also Darren Ellis's website is great alot of stuff hard to find or overlooked by others. Smart people.

Back