I admit it, I need help with my 3rd grader's math homework...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here a math genius? I knew someday I would get stuck on my kid's homework I just didn't think it would be 3rd grade math. LOL

Here's the problem I'm stuck on:

Solve. Show your work. Draw bar models to help you.

Alex had 200 more magnets that Kevin did at first. After Alex gave away 340 magnets and Kevin bought another 120 magnets, Kevin had 3 times as many magnets as Alex. How many magnets did Alex and Kevin have altogether at first?

the answer is 740 total to start out.

the problem is, i dont really know bar model method or how they may be teaching it. if its not too late, I can try to put somethign together and send it along if it might help

- Kevin had at first: x magnets
- Alex had at first: x + 200 magnets
- After Alex gave away 340 magnets and Kevin bought another 120 magnets, Kevin had 3 times as many magnets as Alex
=> 3 * (x + 200 - 340) = x + 120
=> x = (120 - 600 + 1020) / 2 = 270
- How many magnets did Alex and Kevin have altogether at first?
x + x + 200 = 740

Forget bar models. Hope this helps.

I wish I knew how to do this with 3rd grade math but I can only do it with Algebra which I don't think they are teaching in 3rd grade but who knows.

- After Alex gave away 340 magnets and Kevin bought another 120 magnets, Kevin had 3 times as many magnets as Alex
x + x + 200 = 740

Thanks, I see where I was making my error.

Have to do the bar models, but I can figure that part out.

I appreciate the help.

x + x + 200 = 740

LMFAO this is 3rd grade math!!? ... dope...

Yes, not kidding, times change. Check the link I posted above.

I remember doing what was effectively algebra in 3rd grade but I don't recall it being this complicated nor do I know how to answer it in the 3rd grade manner only in the manner taught in HS which would say to a 3rd grade teacher "mommy/daddy did my homework".

They teach kids this advanced stuff while the same kids are slipping further behind in international comparison tests.

Do the basics properly would be more important.

Wow algebra in 3rd grade lol. 20 years ago when I was a freshman in highschool was when they taught 98% of the students algebra.

Your kid must be a smart cookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back