I am new to knives and the whole community

I recently sprouted an interest in Knives, but when I try to look stuff up I get overwhelmed. Like people discussing blade metal. Is there any good sites to go to or any blades for beginners I could purchase?

Welcome. :)

You've already found the site you're looking for. It's right here. Unfortunately, there is no real shortcut, it just takes some time. Just start pulling up threads that draw your interest and go "down the rabbit hole" so to speak. When you come across a term you don't know, or something you would like to know about... Use the search function (or a search engine and just add "bladeforums" to whatever you're trying to look up), and go down go down the rabbit hole again. Three years ago, I was in your shoes.

As far as a good starter knife goes, a budget and blade length would help a lot. Knowing which country you are located in would also be helpful.

Generally, I'll recommend either an Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2 (depending on the size you want) to most people who want their first decent knife.

Buy cheap to start with. And there are plenty of budget knives that would technically do you for the rest of your life.

And the reason for this is. Say you jump on line and some expert says a kurkuri is the all round bestest knife you can own.

So you go buy the best one you can find.

But you lose it or break it. Or it is too heavy. Or just not the tool you specifically need.

Then you are out a crap ton of money.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard; you picked a great place to learn, interact and be a knife knut.

Much good advice given thus far.

Start out inexpensive as mistakes, dislikes (catch & releases) and evolving tastes won't put you in the poor house.
Figure out what you will be doing with your knife. A full flat grind is nice for slicing apples and the like but a fatter, less "slicey" geometry can be used for more abusive tasks. A pointy/stabby tip is great for snatching pickles or olives out of a jar but ain't so good at spreading peanut butter.

How big are your hands? What are your local knife laws? What type of pants do you wear? That is more important than you may think as my beloved Cold Steel AD-10 and bruiser 4-Max Scout isn't going to work with lightweight dress slacks.

Are you left handed? Some knives have reversible clips that can be swapped left to right and even tip up to tip down but the lock mechanism may not be ambidextrous, i.e. liner locks and frame locks.

Brands - ah the fodder for fights, flames and bans. Besides keeping the price point modest, I say stick with known brands. There are certain brands that have budget knives that are actually good and provide good value; in folders Ontario RATs, KaBar Doziers, Spyderco Tenacious (and others), Buck and Cold Steel (just to name a few) have budget friendly offerings that punch above their price.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Blade steels was the most overwhelming aspect when I first got into this stuff. I actually used the list in this Nick Shabazz video as a frame of reference as I was learning steels.

This BHQ Blade Steel Guide wasn't a bad reference either.

This is the site to go to. I'd recommend just reading and looking at things for a while, to be honest. If you want to buy a starter pocket knife, it would depend on how much money you're willing to spend, but you could start with a Swiss Army Knife, a Buck 110, a Spyderco Resilience, an Ontario RAT 1 or 2 all for about $30-$50, and you'd have a knife that would serve you well.

Most here will say not to jump into the deep end until you've had some time to learn. Maybe you'll catch the 'bug' and be like the rest of us addicts, maybe you'll decide it's not your thing. If the latter, having a decent knife when you need one will still be a good thing, and any of the knives I mentioned won't set you back too much and will serve you a lifetime. If the former, you won't really know what to appreciate about ridiculously expensive knives without starting with less expensive ones and doing some reading.

Welcome!
Well said m_m, well said.

HARDBALL

There are two ways to go about this. You can A) buy one quality knife and just carry that to your grave or B) treat this like a hobby and start out one bite at a time.

In situation B, you will learn in time. Like I said, treat it like a hobby. Imagine if you wanted to start playing guitar, you’re not gonna just pick up a Fender and start wailing out Hendrix licks on day one. There’s a lot of learning to get to that point. Time and patience are your friend.

I don't post a lot, but I read a ton. Like others have said, start out buying inexpensive knives until you figure out what pushes your buttons. I wouldn't get too bogged down with blade metals right now. You can get into that later.

What I DO recommend you do, if you haven't done it already, is learn how to sharpen. Guided sharpening systems seem to be the easiest for me, so I bought a KME system.

This is the site to go to. I'd recommend just reading and looking at things for a while, to be honest. If you want to buy a starter pocket knife, it would depend on how much money you're willing to spend, but you could start with a Swiss Army Knife, a Buck 110, a Spyderco Resilience, an Ontario RAT 1 or 2 all for about $30-$50, and you'd have a knife that would serve you well.

Most here will say not to jump into the deep end until you've had some time to learn. Maybe you'll catch the 'bug' and be like the rest of us addicts, maybe you'll decide it's not your thing. If the latter, having a decent knife when you need one will still be a good thing, and any of the knives I mentioned won't set you back too much and will serve you a lifetime. If the former, you won't really know what to appreciate about ridiculously expensive knives without starting with less expensive ones and doing some reading.

Welcome!

I recently sprouted an interest in Knives, but when I try to look stuff up I get overwhelmed. Like people discussing blade metal. Is there any good sites to go to or any blades for beginners I could purchase?

Welcome to the forums. You certainly found the right spot.

I would suggest read first and ask questions. Let us know what your knife would be used for.

n2s

Welcome to the forums!

A few things to think about/answer that might help us narrow down some suggestions.

1. Budget/price range. I personally rarely carry anything that is worth over $100. Members here carry knives from $15 to thousands for a custom. Whatever your budget will allow, we can help suggest some models for you.

I would suggest a good budget knife instead of dropping $400 on one. As other mentioned above, plenty of good knives to be had for $30-60.

2. Intended use. If you work in an office, your daily needs might be different from someone who works in construction or a trade.

3. Hand size can matter. If you wear a medium sized glove, you might not like a knife with a 4" blade to carry everyday. I have a big paw (2xl glove usually) and I have learned over the years that I like a bigger knife to fit my bigger hand. I generally stick to 3.4"+ blade. This is a generalized statement. Plenty of big handed people prefer a small blade and vice versa. Over time, you will find what works for you.

4. Laws. Many cities and states have carry laws. Make sure you read and understand what is legal to carry. Some places need to have a blade length under 3". Some allow switchblades/auto knives. In some places you can carry a fixed blade. I think posting these links are ok.
https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/
https://knifeup.com/knife-laws/

Like any sub-culture, Bladeforums has it's own in-jokes.

"Smatchet" is always the answer, especially when used to suggest that somebody is entertaining a fantasy about being some kind of action hero with their knife.

Prying with your knives/suggesting that you might have pried something with your knife/asking about (especially folding knives) that would be appropriate for the task will get you jeered at. I liked knives enough to shrug it off, and I try to catch new people and warn them about some of these things, now.

People here are passionate about their knives (obviously), and this can make it easy for them to confuse "what I like" with "what would be a suggestion that fits this situation".

Dark Ops knives is not to be taken seriously.

There is no limit to how much you can spend. Find what you're comfortable with, and ignore anybody who suggests "if you spend a little more....."

Everyone here has already nailed it.

Start searching, learning, and asking questions.

Welcome to the forum. :)

SolarMan,

LOTS of great advice given. I understand your situation as it reminds me of being like a lil' Kid (back in the day) in a real Candy Shop. I highly suggest first checking out this thread for an AWESOME list of GREAT (IN-expensive) Knives of many types/styles of both "Folding" Blade and "Fixed" Bladed Knives. I think this will help you figure out what Knife/Knives most interest you.
Best of luck in you search.

HARDBALL

Back