I buffed my brand new knife....

A Ride on the Buffer usually elicits gnashing of teeth and gasps of disapproval from connoisseurs...parallel to using power tools for 'sharpening' (aka deformation:poop::D) cleaning coins etc.....

But this is entirely different, and skilled:thumbsup:

Myself, I dislike matte bolsters whereas I like the contrast between matte/satin blade and polished bolster. I kind of did the same with my recent 13 Clerk that came with matte bolsters and an unpolished micarta. The micarta is OK like that (better polished methinks) but not the bolsters. I don't have a polishing wheel so I used a leather strop with green compound, takes a while but a good result-have to be careful not to stain the light micarta though. A strop is a great way of renovating scuffed bolsters and spotty looking back springs too.

You opening a Spa service Barry?:D I got some stuff to send in to your wheel...;)

Thanks, Will

I know the process that GEC uses to apply the brushed satin look to the bolsters and I don't like it. It leaves the bolster with a rough feel to it. Every micarta knife I have bought, I do the same and then either leave it polished or I apply my own hand rubbed satin finish.
Yours looks great Barry. I'll be doing the same to the new forum knife when it comes.

I can't stand shiny polished bolsters on any knife, not just this 66.

I prefer satin and much preferred the original matte look.

Yet then again, I even more so prefer the carried, used, patina, and character built over time and not the mint look.

I'm into it. Then again, I don't care for GEC's brushed finish. But I've done that to a handful of knives. Headlight restoration kit ;)

Definitely not FUBAR, but, I do prefer the original better. The one thing that I do not like about most traditionals is the shiny, polished looked, especially on blades. While I agree some do look better polished, in my mind I can see a " full matte " option in most traditionals. I think that "Matte" for me, is aesthetically pleasing if it is carried through as a theme on the knife for lack of a better term: matte covers, matte bolsters, satin blade. The 13 clerk in Muslin Micarta comes to mind, I love mine the way it came although I would like to dull the covers a little. I would not want matte bolsters on a knife with smooth ivory bone or ebony wood, though I do prefer a satin blade almost always. Micarta just has such depth when it is not polished (side grain) you can see the layers of material that made the handle additionally it affords grip especially on a smaller knife. I love what you did with regard to the level of finish you put in, it looks factory, it looks professional. I hope to do the opposite with a couple of my knives in the future.

Back