I.D.--puzzling old blade, purchased so very long ago I can't remember clearly

I guess that's why this stuff is so fascinating.

And I'm not SURE anyone has been right so far. A neighbor, of Polish extraction, is convinced it's Polish.

Anyway, it will be conserved. It's a fascinating old sword, and two matters upon which virtually everyone who's seen it or the photos agrees: it belonged to cavalry officer, and was probably in existence during or very close to the Napoleonic period.

You're right about the lower fittings. However, I have been unable to separate them, and I have a long history of damaging sheet metal objects, so that mission will be someone else's issue.

More i.d. on that Hussar blade has been presented. Oh. The match on the trim pieces ( the lions, in particular) was one of the clues that led him to presume this was French. Now he's seen and handled it first hand. The fittings and renditions were obviously done by the same hand.

"I was wrong about the maker. I couldn't see the letter I in your photo, and what I thought was a K turns out to be a B. A happy mistake though, because the letters ISB are for Johann Schimmelbusch, who stopped making swords in 1804 when he turned the business over to his son. The letter J was represented by what we consider the letter I back in the day.

Johann Schimmelbusch, 1741 - 1816
Johann Schimmelbusch was born in 1741.
Johann married Helene Catharina Schimmelbusch (born Schlickum).
Helene was born in 1749.
They had one daughter: Johanna Wilhelmine Christine Joest (born Schimmelbusch).
Johann passed away in 1816, at age 75.

So, that means the sword is no newer than 1804! Awesome! This is more obvious in person!"

Back