I didn't expect this: Bugie is Delica killer?

Can someone explain the scales of the Bug out to me. Are they more of an FRN type material like the Delica or more like the FRCP of the light weight Manix?

The Delica scale material I love, the Manix2 LW, not so much.

Can someone explain the scales of the Bug out to me. Are they more of an FRN type material like the Delica or more like the FRCP of the light weight Manix?

Absolutely more like the FRN than FRCP. I have all 3 and the Bugout scales are more like a smoother FRN.

The first Bugout I received had really poor action. I ended up selling it and never really looked back until about a week ago. The Bugout family has the perfect blade profile IMO. S30V gets some heat, but BM really does a pretty incredible job with it.
My second Bugout came in the mail yesterday. Totally drop free action with tight lockup. I'm absolutely blown away. This is really probably all the pocket knife 99% of us would ever need.
I love the size and weight of the Bugout and considering it's coming from BM, I have no worries about breaking it with their warranty.

Bugout killed the mini Grip too..
There I’ve said it.
Apart from the mini Ritter, but I’ve no no idea why you’d choose a 556 over the Bugout.

It's $20 more expensive, the mini grip is under $100 which is a big psychological price point difference, and most people don't care about the steel difference. Plus there are more options in the mini grip.

The Bugout uses FRN, same as the Griptillian family.

Wow Jimmy I thought they were zytel. Thanks for the update. They're so super bendy like the yellow handles on the salt series.

Yeah they flex a little mainly because we thinned them up and reduced the liner size to save as much weight as possible.

All right BF, I am so intrigued I just went ahead and ordered one. Should have it in a week or so. Not crazy about the Smurf blue but the light weight and great blade shape pulled me.

I had a Manix2 LW and while that knife was fantastic, the scale material was a deal breaker for me. I'm really looking forward to a light weight knife made,out of scale material that doesn't feel as cheap as FRCP does.

Last edited:
Didn't get to update yet but the wife ended up picking up a Bugout for me for my birthday. Really glad to have this slicer back in my pocket.

I wasn't crazy about the blue at first but it grows on you in person. Bravo Benchmade Benchmade

Wow guys. Just opened up my Bugout. Damn this thing hits right in the wheelhouse of the Delica. The handles are virtually identical in length and while the blade is just a hair longer on the Bug out, you have a lot more edge.

Weight wise, it is almost hard to imagine how light this knife is till you handle it. It makes the Delica feel almost heavy. That said, the Benchmade feels solid in hand.

Mine required a little loosening of the pivot out of the box as the pivot was so tight it might as well have been a slip joint. After loosening it up, the blade will now drop freely but it is off center when closed. Oddly when the pivot was too tight, the blade was dead nuts centered. Off center blades seem to be common on the Bugout.

As far as Delica killer. No way. To me, the Delica feels better in hand but the biggest issue is price. The value of a Delica is just too hard to beat and the Bug out is going for around $115.

All that said, my first impression is still wow. This is a fantastic knife by Benchmade and is certainly going into the EDC rotation.

Back