I fear my collection lacks coherence!

Good start. Most of us switch around and change over time. It is part of the hobby. I think most of us love big fixed blades. But other than a select few members, I personally don't have much use for them on a yearly basis. That doesn't stop me from buying and being interested. I would suggest you consider a 4"-5" fixed blade if you use fixed blade knives to add a bit more versatility to your accumulation.

I take big knives with me car camping, or hiking if I know I have a specific need for one of the big ones. But sometimes, I just like to carry something different regardless.

I have also bought knives because of all the chatter here. For the most part, those are unused. The classic example is the Kabar Becker BK-2 which after the ooh's and aahs wore off, I couldn't see myself using it for anything.
Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I was struck and encouraged by your use of the word “hobby.” I have always loved mechanical things and understanding how they are made and work. Cars, watches...the more esoteric the better. But I haven’t found anything as addicting as knives. There are so many variables and makers (I love learning the backstories of the people who display such craftsmanship) and every time I hold a great knife it feels soulful. So I try not to make impulse purchases and buy things that I really like. But have to admit I fell way down the rabbit hole on this and hopefully it will moderate over time. I’m any event, it’s a lot of fun and I have greatly enjoyed being on BF. I learned so much from this community over the past months.

Last edited:
I bought a Condor Mayflower fixed blade at Blade on Friday. I enjoy looking and handling all of their knives and so forth and I spend a lot more time in their booth than I do at many. The sales rep pulled out a Mayflower with micarta handles to show me and another guy. He said that Condor only made two with micarta handles and I asked how much? (Or if they were for sale at all....) He said $30 and instantly sold both of them. That was a no brainer purchase for me and it's a really nice knife to boot!! So, impulse buys are fun.

I bought a Condor Mayflower fixed blade at Blade on Friday. I enjoy looking and handling all of their knives and so forth and I spend a lot more time in their booth than I do at many. The sales rep pulled out a Mayflower with micarta handles to show me and another guy. He said that Condor only made two with micarta handles and I asked how much? (Or if they were for sale at all....) He said $30 and instantly sold both of them. That was a no brainer purchase for me and it's a really nice knife to boot!! So, impulse buys are fun.
Sounds like a great score. Followed Blade Show on IG and looked like it was a blast. Hope you had fun. And great. I will now green light impulse buys!

Temper your impulse buys, but I really enjoy them. Last year or late the year before, I bought a Steelwill Mini Cutjack (M390 version) and the Benchmade Mini Presidio II on impulse at a knife store (different visits). I had never heard of Steelwill at that point, saw the knife and asked to see it. Many have really liked their knives. I was happy with both and it was FUN. I will never get rid of impulse buys because I enjoy the moment too much. But you need to keep it under control. Some here say they look at a particular knife and research it before making a decision. Other people's views are taken into consideration. I buy roughly half of my knives in person, so my "research" is my background in knives in general and handling the knife in person. ;) Your buys are to please you and not somebody else.

At Blade I was looking at some Chinese modern knives that were fairly inexpensive. Didn't buy. But I learned about the brand and what they are doing with it. I have never heard of this company/brand and it was their first trip to Blade.

Back