1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I fear my collection lacks coherence!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DCFree, Jun 9, 2019.

1. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I was struck and encouraged by your use of the word “hobby.” I have always loved mechanical things and understanding how they are made and work. Cars, watches...the more esoteric the better. But I haven’t found anything as addicting as knives. There are so many variables and makers (I love learning the backstories of the people who display such craftsmanship) and every time I hold a great knife it feels soulful. So I try not to make impulse purchases and buy things that I really like. But have to admit I fell way down the rabbit hole on this and hopefully it will moderate over time. I’m any event, it’s a lot of fun and I have greatly enjoyed being on BF. I learned so much from this community over the past months.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Pharmagator likes this.
  2. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Easier said than done... for some of us....

DCFree likes this.
  3. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    No sweat. Incoherence is the new norm.

Pharmagator and DCFree like this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I bought a Condor Mayflower fixed blade at Blade on Friday. I enjoy looking and handling all of their knives and so forth and I spend a lot more time in their booth than I do at many. The sales rep pulled out a Mayflower with micarta handles to show me and another guy. He said that Condor only made two with micarta handles and I asked how much? (Or if they were for sale at all....) He said $30 and instantly sold both of them. That was a no brainer purchase for me and it's a really nice knife to boot!! So, impulse buys are fun.

Pharmagator and DCFree like this.
  5. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    Sounds like a great score. Followed Blade Show on IG and looked like it was a blast. Hope you had fun. And great. I will now green light impulse buys!

6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Temper your impulse buys, but I really enjoy them. Last year or late the year before, I bought a Steelwill Mini Cutjack (M390 version) and the Benchmade Mini Presidio II on impulse at a knife store (different visits). I had never heard of Steelwill at that point, saw the knife and asked to see it. Many have really liked their knives. I was happy with both and it was FUN. I will never get rid of impulse buys because I enjoy the moment too much. But you need to keep it under control. Some here say they look at a particular knife and research it before making a decision. Other people's views are taken into consideration. I buy roughly half of my knives in person, so my "research" is my background in knives in general and handling the knife in person. ;) Your buys are to please you and not somebody else.

At Blade I was looking at some Chinese modern knives that were fairly inexpensive. Didn't buy. But I learned about the brand and what they are doing with it. I have never heard of this company/brand and it was their first trip to Blade.

DCFree likes this.
  7. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Looks good to me! As others have said, If you like it and they do the jobs that you need done that is all that matters.

DCFree likes this.