I finally completed my 49er Series with all the correct boxes and bling.

Only been putting this set together since 2003 and 7 years later its complete as I was missing some boxes and bling....photos of the set with additional prototype knife.
Persistance pays off as 2 of these knives with boxes originally came from United Kingdom...Schrades were all over the world....Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 151
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 135
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 145
  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 138
What a fantastic gathering Larry. Love seeing an entire lineup like that.

If you don't mind me hopping on your thread, here's my 49'er collection too. :D Just a starter set for sure. Got a ways to go to catch you!

498S.jpg

Got this 498S in the mail yesterday, from our good friend Joel (Gradall) over in the exchange thread. Looks like the 49'ers have some great steel, and the blade grinds are very well done. Notice the grip they put on the thumb rest. Rubbed the blade with Rem Oil with an old t-shirt cloth, and gave the brass a quick Flitz. She looks ready for action. I'd like to stab a whole prime rib sizzling on the grill with that sharp tip!

498.jpg

Here is the 1974 catalog lineup of Larry's great set. The 49er stamp on some of the sheaths is a nice touch.

Last edited:
Thawk...I got some originally back in 2002/03 for near those catalog prices,,before folk worked out exactly what they were...I've seen some weird and wonderful descriptions for this series thru the years..."looks like the cross guards and ends have been hit with something"...."looks like someones initials on the butt"..."they put hand grips in the leather"..."in original sheath"..yeh..nothing like the original distinctive sheaths...."seen some similar but in a different shape"......"vintage, I've had it from the 60's".....and the one that never fails you watch...."with beautiful staghorn handles"....Hoo Roo.

Lots of good descriptions there Larry. I'm pretty sure my example has the "real antler" handles though.

Sweet!
Seems like some real goodies are being found this spring.

Brought up for Warman with his query re Schrade sheath for a 498.....and no, his is not the correct sheath...and not like any Schrade sheath I've seen...Hoo Roo

Just bringing this photo thread up again for Winchester, to show that not all the genuine 49er sheaths were of identical lengths,to match the blades which were also varying lengths. For info. Hoo Roo

Larry , very nice , i'm still trying to complete the set myself , patience is a virtue so i'm told , what is the handle on the proto ?

G'Day Bosun, the handle on the prototype is 'normal' staglon handle markings however with green covering/paint?/dyed?...might have been considering contemporary alternatives?..the gold butt etc is not shiny like they finished/settled on.
By the way Bosun I saw your knife displays on Australian Blade Forums....fantastic display cases, great knives, <were any originally mine?>...you should display some photos on here....how long have you been collecting,and did you make those display cases?..are you a chippy?.I see you are from the great Australian Mining State of Western Australia...our mining is about the only thing protecting us to some degree in this World Economic Downturn/ recession...the Chinese buy our iron ore and then do something horrible to it and make Taylor Schrades!?!...Lol......Hoo Roo

Cheer's Larry , I bought my first schrade in the early '80s which i still have even with the broke back spring.I probably had about 30 up untill the close down but never really thought of them as a "collection" more like an accumulation i guess.The display cases i made myself from jarrah and have made a couple more for mates for there displays.Nah mate i'm not a chippy & I have only just learnt how to post pics on blade forums via photo bucket.The mining industry here would be better if the multinationals that are raping our land would cease exploiting foreign labour at a fraction of the cost,Aussie work, Aussie jobs.I got stung with a chinese buck trapper last week just when i thought i knew how to sort the shit from the clay,ya just can't let ya guard down for a second.......

Brought up for Stormyhull who raised a question re his Schrade 497 pattern 49er Series knife...all the info is here mate..Hoo Roo

Congrats UL nice collection mate its a good feeling once you finish getting a series together .

Thankyou for the welcome back I'm glad to be back on the best forum with such learned friends again :)

Hi Larry Old Mate,
That is not a full set yet, you have not got any of Mr Taylor's Schrades yet.
May be you could find a NIB one with the "Final Prodution paperwork"... Ken

Thanks Cal I have some to share and will send to photo bucket . I am doing a 500 km move this weekend from out in the bush to the beach.
So will have heaps of time for forums again.

...to the beach Jamo?......Australian Environment Whale Watch are doing a stocktake at the moment of migrating whales up the Queensland Coast....and tagging them....best stay out of the water Jamo as you may mess up their count.....worse end up with a tag in your rear mate..all the best with the move..not easy but will be for the best......welcome back we need/missed your lively offbeat input.....Hoo Roo

Back