I got my Phreak on today!

So I stopped in at my LKS, intent on aquireing a HG sheepsfoot grip before they disappear, and walked out with a Super Phreak instead. I didn't know it did not have full steel liners, I might have passed on it, but it feels good and sturdy and the G10 scales are great fitting in the hand, and for my uses the finger groove - bump poses no issue. Win win!

20190218_164204~2.jpg

M4, G10 and a color combo I love. Looks like my wallet is about to take another hit. Did you find any issues with blade centering?

No. One of the reasons I go to the local knife store is to handle what I want to own. This is a great shop, they pay attention to the products before they set them out, they don't just throw product on the shelf. They will inspect and make sure all is right with the knife before it goes under glass. They have sent back some knives that they could just not justify displaying for sale and could not easily correct.

Oddly enough, this one had not been brought out yet, the previous one went out the door this morning and he had not gotten around to repopulating the empty space before I walked in. My intent was a HG grip and I jokingly said " I am here to see if there is anything I can't leave with out" and Mike walked into the store room and came out with this Phreak. Out if the box the only issue was light gritty feeling on opening and a less than "fall out" deployment. But I liked it! When I decided to un-hand it and said I'd take it he asked if I'd like him to tune it up a bit - what amounted to adjusting the pivot screw and cleaning up the action. So pleased with both the shop and the knife!

To recap - blade was centered and sharp as could be, before Mike put on final touches. Well done Benchmade!

Thanks, great to hear. My local shop hasn’t received these yet. Can’t wait to get mine.

That is awesome! I am so jacked, I ordered one this weekend from SMKW and am very impatiently waiting for the shipping notice. I love me some Benchmade M4

My local knife shop has had these in for a couples weeks. They have sold out of their first run supply and are almost it off the first production run shipment.
Fromm the first time holding it I wanted it but not sure i can afford it right now. Every knife I've held since then has been compared to the ergos of the super Freek. Even though it is a tad larger than I thought I wanted and doesn't have a flipper.

I wouldn't worry about the partial steel liner. The original Freek was this way and it was using a weaker material than the super Freek's g10.

I wouldn't worry about the partial steel liner. The original Freek was this way and it was using a weaker material than the super Freek's g10.

I am keeping that in mind - and it may well turn out to be a mental game I am laying on myself, time will tell. For now I will enjoy it, as you say, the ergos are totally enjoyable! Thanks for the pick-me-up!

I just got mine yesterday and it is awesome! The action was a little stiff for the first couple hundred openings but it’s buttery smooth now. I am really happy with this knife... probably the best folder I have owned now.

I do like mine. Still like the Foray better for lack of noticeability though. And that it is slimmer and lighter. I am waiting to see how much of a brute the Super Phreak can be compared to a full metal lined folder such as the Barrage or Rift.

looks great! is this combo going to be limited production? (m4/g10)?

Standard production model and it's a great EDC!

SB08k980skyRKjUWmLb_xqw5z3Lq4xmlFES7hGMJ7aXvKERG1cBk-wV-f9e-vj0U5xdSeolDmULIXW3Fbdc4VO5XmKl89tjNCtHhhOWesxOI7y-SLTInSQIpM0P5rxiZTkpfIWgyjVA=w2400

Something odd with mine. I had to take it apart due to some bbq sauce in the pivot. Found it was missing an Omega Spring...never noticed, as the knife functioned without issue...Go figure...

Last edited:
You will like it - it truly is a Super Phreak. I have had it under serious critical consideration each time I carry it, but it's not lacking in anything that I would use any other folder to do - and I don't abuse my knives, they are blades, not hatchets or wire cutters. And if I had to pry something - I have other, proper tools for that, and would never use a pivot blade for that anyway, that is just nonsensical. I am not in a survival scenario, and, if I manage to get into one, my get home bag has what I need - I don't need to prove out the toughness of the Super Phreak by having it do EVERYTHING. :)

Anyone having any issues or just input on the blade coating vs use? I am hoping that BM chose a coating this time (as opposed to what is on the Nimravus) that wears nicely instead of being thick and having canyons created in it when a hard piece of something skids across it. I like my Cub, but I am in the process of removing the coating because a previous owner gouged the snot out of the coating. Hoping I can save the logo and steel identifier.

Observations? Comments? Anybody? Aybody? Bueller ...

Just ordered one. I wanted to wait for one that didn't have first production markings. Will let you know.

Anyone having any issues or just input on the blade coating vs use? I am hoping that BM chose a coating this time (as opposed to what is on the Nimravus) that wears nicely instead of being thick and having canyons created in it when a hard piece of something skids across it. I like my Cub, but I am in the process of removing the coating because a previous owner gouged the snot out of the coating. Hoping I can save the logo and steel identifier.

Observations? Comments? Anybody? Aybody? Bueller ...

The coating is Cerakote which offers the best corrosion resistance for M4.

I understand that. I have it on firearms, but they are not subjected to the same wear factors where they are coated as knives are. I just am hoping it holds up better than the Nimravus coating, then I may not be be so afraid of using a 1st prod marked M4 blade :)

I understand that. I have it on firearms, but they are not subjected to the same wear factors where they are coated as knives are. I just am hoping it holds up better than the Nimravus coating, then I may not be be so afraid of using a 1st prod marked M4 blade :)

I got you. Yeah i guess its really a balance between the lesser of two evils...rust or scratches. Really just depends on the situation/daily use.

Back