I got the Grimsmo purchase invite...

… and declined. You may be aware Grimsmo has a 'Maker's Choice' model that sends one an email via lottery when a knife is ready. I have my name in the hat for both the Norseman and Rask. After some months wait I got the invite to buy a Norseman. Besides not being a fan of the color combination being offered, during the months of waiting I've now honed my preferences to understand I would appreciate a Rask significantly more than a Norseman. I know the Rask has been out of production for some time. I hope they start production up again soon. I would definitely spring for that knife no matter the color combo. Would the Norseman have been available when I had the itch last year I probably would have bought it. Times change.

You should have just bought it and sold it. They go for more than they do new from maker. Crazy that people are willing to do that. But whatever.

The Rask is a fairly nice knife. I like it alot better than the norsman.

^Yes, I have noticed that they are not selling for much, if any, over par price. I have my name in the hat also and am losing interest.

Same here. I got the offer a few months back and declined. I told them if it was a Rask I would buy, but they said no Rasks being made any time soon. I don’t regret it. Now, if only I could win one of those lotteries from Holt.

Same here - waited years to get picked, but declined a few days ago. At the price they are going for it needed to be something I would be happy with. The Makers Choice I was sent was purple with plain Ti scales. Deliberated for the 24 hour limit and just couldn't get over the price for plain ano Ti when it's $25 more for textured scales.

… and declined. You may be aware Grimsmo has a 'Maker's Choice' model that sends one an email via lottery when a knife is ready. I have my name in the hat for both the Norseman and Rask. After some months wait I got the invite to buy a Norseman. Besides not being a fan of the color combination being offered, during the months of waiting I've now honed my preferences to understand I would appreciate a Rask significantly more than a Norseman. I know the Rask has been out of production for some time. I hope they start production up again soon. I would definitely spring for that knife no matter the color combo. Would the Norseman have been available when I had the itch last year I probably would have bought it. Times change.

I think you made the right call. The Norseman seems to be falling in secondary market value rather rapidly. It was only roughly a year ago that you couldn't find a Norseman for less than $1k, now, they're available for roughly the same price the brothers are asking and sometimes even less.

Beyond that, I think that the Norseman will probably be remembered as more or less a fad. The Rask, however, is a very pragmatic design with exceptional action. There's definitely some longevity in that design. Definitely the one I'd buy out of the two.

the company is located only about 30 minutes away from me, I should go visit and find out if/when the rask is coming back...

I always thought it looked like a platypus. The Rask IMO looks much better, but for the price? It's pretty plain jane as far as design goes. Also, the fact that they wanted full payment up front completely turned me off when they were doing the pre-orders for it.

I will order Rask if they open books if they don’t inflate the price too much. Here’s hoping both they and Holt open soon. God forbid they open books the same time.

I like the handles on the Norseman more but the blade is what is tough for me I wish they would do a new Norseman variant with a new blade shape.

I'm hearing Rask-related rumbles (not any insider information, just rumors). So it might yet be that Rasks are on their way soon.
Sweet - so you're saying that soon, I too can overpay by $400 for something that the Holts do better in ever conceivable way!? Awesome, where do I sign up?!

Has anyone here based their decision to buy a Norseman on the extremely functional use of the blade shape and how different it is in function than a standard drop point or tanto?

Just wondering as no one has mentioned how incredible it is to use as a tool. Most of the talk is surrounding "it's a fad" "resale is dropping" "this other brand is better" and this confuses me as I thought that these are tools that are to be used?

Knives are not investments, they are depreciating assets.

Has anyone here based their decision to buy a Norseman on the extremely functional use of the blade shape and how different it is in function than a standard drop point or tanto?

Just wondering as no one has mentioned how incredible it is to use as a tool. Most of the talk is surrounding "it's a fad" "resale is dropping" "this other brand is better" and this confuses me as I thought that these are tools that are to be used?

Knives are not investments, they are depreciating assets.
It's a 1000 dollar tool.

Back