I Guess It's A Miracle

r8shell

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Sometimes I think I have the strangest knife luck/karma!

After getting home from the grocery store, I'm about to make a sandwich. Had the fixings out on the counter: bread, deli meat, lettuce, etc. I was about to open the new jar of Miracle Whip when I spy something odd at the bottom of the jar. My first thought is, "EEwwww, yuck! what is that?!?"
Miracle Whip 1.jpg Miracle Whip 4 circles & arrows.jpg There's some grey shape at the bottom. It's a new jar, and it's still got the tamper-proof seal. Checked the expiration date: good until August, 2018.
Maybe most folks would have just thrown it out, but I just got more and more curious.

So with much trepidation, I open the jar and fish around with a spoon. I can feel something hard at the bottom of the jar, like glass or metal, and I managed to scoop it out.
Miracle Whip 12.jpg Miracle Whip 13.jpg

Morbidly curious, I rinse it off.

Miracle Whip 9.jpg
Cool! It's a 1973 Schrade Walden pocketknife made for Miracle Whip's 40th anniversary. Now, I'm sure it's not a 45 year old jar. (besides, if it had been an old promotional item, I doubt they would have just stuck the knives unwrapped into the dressing.
So...it fell out of a long-time employee's shirt pocket into a vat, or somewhere along the line at the processing/bottling plant? It certainly is a mystery.

It's a good thing the knife is stainless. I'm keeping the knife, but I'm throwing out the mayo!
:D
Miracle Whip 10.jpg

@richs,
Thanks for the reminder. I often respond seriously and at great length to the April Fools posts.
But only because I'm fooling! [yeah, right]

Last edited:
Kudos r8shell!!!:thumbsup::cool: This is the best one yet! :eek: Since I’ve been on the forum my favorite until now was the Whatta Burger. My wife and I love a Whatta Burger, but the closest one is almost two hours away. Now we also love a good homemade sandwich and that Ezekiel bread is outstanding, we use it all the time. :thumbsup: While I must confess to being a mayo person instead of Miracle Whip it becomes quite obvious of the role it plays in your April 1 sandwich! Hope you have a great day! :D

Good one! You had me there for a minute. Especially since I had a high school teacher that worked at the Paramount pickle plant here in town, the stories he told.......Yuck!
Thanks for the chuckle.

Well played - you got me! I’m sitting here thinking ‘what’s the chances of that knife falling in a Miracle Whip jar and a knife nut being the one to get that exact jar and to take photos ....’

This one was better than the tree growing out of the knife hahaha. (Maybe that was ~P though)

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
Thank goodness others responded ahead of me. I was hook line and sinker into it even as I was thinking... "there is just no way....". Too cool Rachel. ;)

Haha - hook, line, and sinker. :oops::p But only for maybe a couple seconds...:rolleyes:

Back