I HATE KARAMBITS BUT.... CRKT PROVOKE CASWELL DESIGN NEW VIDEO PG 10

I have never ever been a Karambit fan

In fact I’ve been quite vocal on here about how much I don’t care for them

I will admit I’ve always liked their look but I was not sold on the utility or practicality of the design

How good could a gardening tool turned defense weapon be :)

I’ve almost purchased some different models to try out over the years but always backed away

When I saw the Caswell Morphing Karambit I was really tempted

I should have bought one at the $450 Kickstarter price but alas I didn’t

When I saw that CRKT was coming out with the Caswell design and I could preorder one at one dealer for $186 and I always have points I did

So I guess I’m gonna see if I like KARAMBITS and this weird cool design

I like the d2 blade and I really dig any folding type knife that can’t accidentally close

Anyone else order one of these ?

Last edited:
I have never ever been a Karambit fan

In fact I’ve been quite vocal on here about how much I don’t care for them

I will admit I’ve always liked their look but I was not sold on the utility or practicality of the design

How good could a gardening tool turned defense weapon be :)

I’ve almost purchased some different modelsto try out over the years but always backed away

When I saw the Caswell Morphing Karambit I was really tempted

I should have bought one at the $450 Kickstarter price but alas I didn’t

When I saw that CRKT was coming out with the Caswell design and I could preorder one on Amazon for $189 and I always have points I did

So I guess I’m gonna see if I like KARAMBITS and this weird cool design

I like the d2 blade and I really dig any folding type knife that can’t accidentally close

Anyone else order one of these ?

Dude! You should have waited, and I’ll give you two reasons why:

1. This is a fairly complex folding knife. Might have wanted to give CRKT a chance to fine tune the way they build these.

2. I heard in one interview with CRKT representatives that they intend to release this design with other blade shapes. Imagine this sucker with a wharncliffe on the end or (not gunna happen) a pikal version.

Still I hope you get alot of joy out of the knife! Let us know how you like it.

Dude! You should have waited, and I’ll give you two reasons why:

1. This is a fairly complex folding knife. Might have wanted to give CRKT a chance to fine tune the way they build these.

2. I heard in one interview with CRKT representatives that they intend to release this design with other blade shapes. Imagine this sucker with a wharncliffe on the end or (not gunna happen) a pikal version.

Still I hope you get alot of joy out of the knife! Let us know how you like it.

It’s five pieces so hopefully they can get it right :)

Is imagine it’s pretty much a replica of the Caswell produced version

If they make a Wharnie I couldn’t resist

It’s five pieces so hopefully they can get it right :)

Is imagine it’s pretty much a replica of the Caswell produced version

If they make a Wharnie I couldn’t resist

CRKT is only making five of these?

I don't know if anyone's preordered it but we've been talking about it. There are a couple of threads here from the last few months.

Love the mechanism. The karambit? Not a big fan. I've owned a bunch and done some training but not for me. They are fun though and that mechanism looks trick!

Ok, I'll bite.

I've always found fixed blade karambits simpler and more effective but the Caswell (CRKT Provoke) looks way more effective for deployment than the Spyderco Karahawk (or any other wave supplemented folding karambit).

Where can I get one?

Searching . . . BHQ says they should be available on 1/18/2019. Not that long to wait. :)

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite.

I've always found fixed blade karambits simpler and more effective but the Caswell (CRKT Provoke) looks way more effective for deployment than the Spyderco Karahawk (or any other wave modified folding karambit).

Where can I get one? Searching . . .

Retailers are taking preorders

I ordered mine on amazon

Retailers are taking preorders

I ordered mine on amazon

Don't like pre-ordering.

Just tried that w/the Spyderco Tropen and it didn't work out the way I liked. I don't have to be the 1st on the block w/one.

I've got a Spyderco Karahawk, as well as some other reverse blade knives like the Spyderco P'Kal & Reverse (fixed) and the ZT0750, that can keep me busy in the meantime.

I'll get a CRKT Provoke sooner or later. The 1st place I see that has it "in stock" at the best price w/the quickest delivery time will get my order. ;)

Last edited:
I hope it does well, but it's a definite pass for me. I don't trust CRKT build quality, $200 is crazy high for foreign produced D2, and the blade stock is absurdly thick (.190").

Well, FWIW, I currently have 26 CRKT folders and haven't had an issue w/the build quality of any of them, despite the fact that (for the most part) they only cost between $40-80 (out of pocket), and for $200 MSRP w/a lifetime guarantee, I would expect the Provoke to be far better made than those.

Besides, I collect "fighting" knives and I'm a sucker for a unique design and from what I saw here, it definitely has place in my collection.

Have to agree with JP. I'm not crazy about Karambits but this one is pretty fascinating. Catch a video if you can.

BTW, glad to see there wasn't too much CRKT bashing in this thread;).

BTW, glad to see there wasn't too much CRKT bashing in this thread;).

I think unlike a lot of other actually bad companies, people (at least I) bash CRKT because we actually like them, or at least their portfolio of designs. So it doesn't come from a place of hate but more frustration, because I would really like to buy more CRKT Knives if they just had better materials and F&F. Imagine CRKT contracting out their designs to WE, elevate them to a slightly higher price point (80-130$) and you'd have a bunch of really good options.

speaking of CRKT, one of their recent designs that has me interested is the 6870 Steigerwalt Incendor

I really don't care for 8cr13mov, but as far as budget steel goes, it's not bad when the heat treat is done well. But, they seem to have messed with the g10 handle to cut out a spot for the thumbstud, I expect I'll find that annoying. I have not held one yet, so I don't know, but am curious if any of you have. Is it a ruined design or does it work out?

thanks, (no intention to go sideways on this thread, but general comments about the company and designs came up so I thought it should be okay)

Back