I HATE KARAMBITS BUT.... CRKT PROVOKE CASWELL DESIGN NEW VIDEO PG 10

Awesome, thanks for the pics! I wonder if they could make it any thinner to Dave on weight while not compromising strength too much.
As far as I know from what I've seen Joe Caswell say, this is an almost direct copy of the mid-tech that Millit Knives is making for him, so I don't per say see them doing anything as far as trimming it down.

To add insight as to what another poster said regarding price - Joe said the reason the price is high, is due to the level of quality he wanted for it and the materials used for the production version.

Based on 3 days with it and in terms of my initial experience, the quality is indeed there, and I do believe this to be worth the $200.

Have not put it down except for today to go to work, and thus far nothing has loosened nor has any play or anything developed. Time will tell, but I don't feel cheated one bit.

It'll cut, but I feel as if this knife is very directed in terms of its purpose. I don't see anyone slicing tomatoes with it haha. It's also a chisel grind blade.

It doesn't feel awkward in pocket and I absolutely love the zero profile pocket clip. Carries deep. You also aren't gonna like having anything else in your pocket with the Provoke.

The slip ring is for adding pressure to the locking lever. The knife locks up like a vault.

As for pics, I'll snap some later tonight after I get home, but it's about 0.5 to 0.6 in thick.

Thank you very much. I will almost certainly get one when they come out with other blade shapes. Hopefully they’ll grind the blade abit thinner too.

CRKT has never had an offering that has really piqued my interest. And they still don't. Much like Cold Steel I get the impression they'd rather pander to the tacticool crowd than to focus on making quality knives.

CRKT has never had an offering that has really piqued my interest. And they still don't. Much like Cold Steel I get the impression they'd rather pander to the tacticool crowd than to focus on making quality knives.
Please elaborate...

One of the things which makes our hobby great - there's literally no shortage of companies and designers who do make things we like.

Last edited:
Hmm, I've never had the impression that CRKT was tacticool, more that they just licensed interesting designs by knifemakers and then made very budget knives with those designs.

Interestingly GPK has the CRKT in stock at $169.99, while BHQ and KnifeCenter are still listing preorders at $199.99. If it's really good, then $170 is getting more reasonable, I think.

Interestingly GPK has the CRKT in stock at $169.99, while BHQ and KnifeCenter are still listing preorders at $199.99. If it's really good, then $170 is getting more reasonable, I think.
Yep, I got that email also. Veeeeery tempting.

Thanks to those photos that Glock19 posted. I have to say that I don't get it -- like at all.

It's a big, thick, complicated brick of a knife with a point and a small, thick blade that could do damage in hand-to-hand fighting, but otherwise is poorly designed for cutting anything, such as pruning, which was the original intent.

Really, it looks to me like a toy, like those spinners that bored people like mess with.

But for self defense, I'd rather use my normal EDC, which I'm comfortable with and could open fast and reliably in time of stress and which would give me much more reach. If I wanted a dedicated self-defense blade, I'd go with the Spyderco Civilian, which seems to me to be infinitely better than this clever little karambit.

However, having never been in a knife fight, perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks to those photos that Glock19 posted. I have to say that I don't get it -- like at all.

It's a big, thick, complicated brick of a knife with a point and a small, thick blade that could do damage in hand-to-hand fighting, but otherwise is poorly designed for cutting anything, such as pruning, which was the original intent.

Really, it looks to me like a toy, like those spinners that bored people like mess with.

But for self defense, I'd rather use my normal EDC, which I'm comfortable with and could open fast and reliably in time of stress and which would give me much more reach. If I wanted a dedicated self-defense blade, I'd go with the Spyderco Civilian, which seems to me to be infinitely better than this clever little karambit.

However, having never been in a knife fight, perhaps I'm missing something.

I'm not sure if you're missing something, or if this just isn't the knife for you. The big selling point is that it can be opened from a firm grip without rearranging your hand to clear the blade rotation into the open position, which makes it completely unique among folding knives that aren't OTF autos, and that it's extremely safe as a folding knife, as even a total lock failure will not cause the blade to close on your hand.

I'm not sure if you're missing something, or if this just isn't the knife for you. The big selling point is that it can be opened from a firm grip without rearranging your hand to clear the blade rotation into the open position, which makes it completely unique among folding knives that aren't OTF autos, and that it's extremely safe as a folding knife, as even a total lock failure will not cause the blade to close on your hand.

Yes, I get that it's a really clever design and opens in a unique way. But once open, I don't see any added value in function over any other knife; and it seems to fall short in function for every other knife I know.

I've tried for a while to find a karambit that added something in the way of function. Still not seeing it.

But I haven't actually handled or used one.

As I've already mentioned previously, the Provoke is available for pre-order NOW for $157.19. Just Google CRKT Provoke $157.19 and the link will jump out at you.

Thank you to the person that posted pics

It looks well made etc

I’m anxious to get one

Twindog

I think this will appeal to someone looking for the compact size of a folding Karambit with out the problems a lot of folding knives suffer which is accidental closure

Yes, I get that it's a really clever design and opens in a unique way. But once open, I don't see any added value in function over any other knife; and it seems to fall short in function for every other knife I know.

I've tried for a while to find a karambit that added something in the way of function. Still not seeing it.

But that shouldn't much of a surprise since the design is based on a specific use case, and it's not just "self defense", but a specific type of self defense. It's a specialization within a specialization

As I've already mentioned previously, the Provoke is available for pre-order NOW for $157.19. Just Google CRKT Provoke $157.19 and the link will jump out at you.

... if I wanted to buy one from that seller, instead of from the dealers from whom I've bought knives for a decade and whose businesses I prefer to frequent, I'm sure I could save $12.80.

... if I wanted to buy one from that seller, instead of from the dealers from whom I've bought knives for a decade and whose businesses I prefer to frequent, I'm sure I could save $12.80.

Your choice.

I was not posting this info for you in particular but for the community in general. I buy from all sources, including the one mentioned, based primarily on price and the quality of the service (if any) provided.

Karambits are primarily designed to be a weapon, and not an EDC tool.

A very specialized tool, that someone with a modest amount of training, can utilize a lot more effectively than someone could use something like a Sebenza or Strider for defensive purposes.

Its used in Silat and Kali martial arts.

The Karambit isn't just meant to cut - you can trap, cut, and flail with it. It's also an impact weapon.

This definitely isn't the knife for you, and that's perfectly ok.

If curious, look up some videos and articles on Doug Marcaida - he shows just how effective the karambit can be. The man is literally a master of his art.

I carry my Karambit to augment my firearm when on duty. Which translates to me carrying one when I'm off-duty as well.

My karambit doesn't get used for EDC tasks. My Spyderco Para 3 assumes that role.

Back