I have a problem with firesteels.......

I see TOPS do these little piggy-back rigs. Do any other makers do similar add-ons?

A couple years ago, anytime I placed an order with GoingGear.com I would throw a few firesteels in with my order. Got a LMF Scout firesteel on my keyring in my back pocket and I stash GoingGear firesteels in all of my packs. One in each Altoids tin tinder pouch thats in every pack and sometimes a few spares in my FAK, mess kit or the like. I also used to buy lots of the Aluminum Battery and Pill capsuls for storing PJ soaked cotton balls or fat wood shavings. I ended up collecting so many Altoids tins, Aluminum capsuls and fire steels that I started giving kits away as gifts. Even so, I still have a Priority mail medium flat rate box full of tinder pouch making supplies.

By the way, if you take a used 1/8oz Tobasco Sauce bottle (the kind that comes with MRE's), wash it out, you can re-fill it with Lighter fluid. I keep a few stashed in my tinder boxes. A drop or two of lighter fluid on your tinder will help it light, even if the weather is really damp and windy. Between that and PJ soaked cotton balls, I have not had a problem starting a fire in wet conditions.

I like firesteels, too. I don't think you can have too many. Lately, I have buying blanks and putting my own handles on them. It is fun and makes them "mine".

By the way, if you take a used 1/8oz Tobasco Sauce bottle (the kind that comes with MRE's), wash it out, you can re-fill it with Lighter fluid. I keep a few stashed in my tinder boxes. A drop or two of lighter fluid on your tinder will help it light, even if the weather is really damp and windy. Between that and PJ soaked cotton balls, I have not had a problem starting a fire in wet conditions.

Years ago, you could buy small rubber capsules of lighter fuel from any newsagent or tobacconist. They were great (dusted with a little french chalk to stop them perishing) for survival kits. I haven't seen them since the early 90's though when disposable lighters hit rock bottom prices.

I ordered 4 more of the Coghlan's last week. I really like these, good size and only 5 bucks.

Man, I have a problem.

Moose

I like firesteels, too. I don't think you can have too many. Lately, I have buying blanks and putting my own handles on them. It is fun and makes them "mine".

Funny, I just ordered some more blanks from Going Gear along with some of his 'pill fob' capsules to make handles that will house tinder. I plan to give a couple away for our church's youth who are planning a backpacking trip in the spring.

ROCK6

Moose I have been wanting to buy some fire steels latelty !! It is a bug that won't leave haha !!

I know what you mean Moose. I have all kinds of firesteels, blanks and handled, all over the place. ESEE, Going Gear, Firesteel.com, cheap Chinese ones from Deal Extreme, Light My Fire, the list goes on and on.

Knives and firesteels: the one thing you can't have too much of. Sorry, the two things you can't have too much of are knives, firesteels and camping stoves. The three things...

Recently, I found the United Cutlery Firesteel, $6 at most places, and the Mora Firesteel, which, might just be the best one I have ever used. It seems to be a combination of the LMF and the Goingear misch metal.

Scrapes like a LMF, but throws a ton of small globs that last.

Interesting......

Moose

The three things...

...and a fanatical devotion to the mods. ;)

You guys are a bad influence. I have ONE firesteel, never use it because I never make fires outside of the woodstove, and already want to stash one in every bag. What the hell do I need a firesteel in my cycling bag for?? Thanks...

Yep, no such thing as too many. They only good for like 3000 strikes then what I can't make a friction fire to save my ass. I bunches of them in various bags, sheaths, etc. I like the couglans for price, but the sweed army model seems to work the best for me. something nice and primal about starting a fire with such a basic tool. I was on a magnesium block kick for a while but now I find it just as easy and lighter to bring the rod and some char cloth or treated cotton balls.

Back