I Have Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.
JK Kephart HD at the Teton’s.
iAy3N78.jpg

At Dragon’s Mouth in Yellowstone.
NcDa4MS.jpg

Near Fall’s Creek at the foot of the Cabinet Mountains NW Montana.
sN3zAud.jpg

I really should remember that knife, but I don’t. It’s unusual with three pins and a lanyard tube.

It’s got your old K stamp and one of your leather sheaths. I’ve got a few more pics to post but I need to wait as internet access is very limited up here.

At Jackson lake.
EUuHTnI.jpg

Here are a few more pics. Used the Kephart for all my cutting chores during this trip and it performed great!

At Leigh Lake. (Ran into a Bear 35yds in front of us on the trail just a bit after this pic.)
axg9hNu.jpg

At the Mud Pools.
YVpzmqJ.jpg

Many Bison roaming around. This one was feeding below us:
dIbMWlp.jpg

Last edited:
Ka-Bar-Becker-Kephart-Fixed-Walnut-Satin-BK62-BHQ-91899-jr-large.jpg
What are the advantages of having such a knife without a lanyard hole/tube, like the Becker version?

(The original manufacturer's website won't let me access from India as they don't sell here!)

Then why not add this most useful 'accessory' (?) when there are only advantages and the only possible disadvantage could be a deleterious effect on aesthetics?
My choice page is based MAINLY on this one factor that makes even a Kabar Ethan Kephart a reject!

Then why not add this most useful 'accessory' (?) when there are only advantages and the only possible disadvantage could be a deleterious effect on aesthetics?
My choice page is based MAINLY on this one factor that makes even a Kabar Ethan Kephart a reject!
I think a lanyard hole can be an advantage if you want to help pull the knife from the sheath or when needed to wrap around your wrist where you do not want to drop the knife, but I think it should not be the only Main reason to disqualify a good knife. I think you can ask for one since that is an important criteria for your knife, but many a knife is used just as effectively without one. Luckily I think John can help you out. I also have mixed feelings about a sharpened 90 degree spine, I like the idea to use for scraping or a fero rod, but it can be rough on the thumb when in a choked up grip.

Last edited:
I think a lanyard hole can be an advantage if you want to help pull the knife from the sheath or when needed to wrap around your wrist where you do not want to drop the knife, but I think it should not be the only Main reason to disqualify a good knife. I think you can ask for one since that is an important criteria for your knife, but many a knife is used just as effectively without one. Luckily I think John can help you out. I also have mixed feelings about a sharpened 90 degree spine, I like the idea to use for scraping or a fero rod, but it can be rough on the thumb when in a choked up grip.
That bring up a makers question I often wonder about. John, when you drill the holes for the pins or a lanyard hole, I assume you do so before the blades are hardened or tempered, correct? Also, do you get much requests for a sharp spine?

Because it doesn't add anything. If you are deciding not to get these knives because of the lack of a lanyard tube, that's great. There are other options. It's a wasted feature for me and many others. I would rather not have a hole in the handle for no functional reason.

Also, aesthetics is important so if it's between a nice looking knife without a lanyard tube and a less pretty knife with a hole in the handle that I won't use, I'm buying the one without a hole.

Edit: just realized you posted here and in the Kephart thread. I have a more in-depth response there.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/kepharts-they-just-work.1627840/page-43#post-19394111

I can't help but feel like you're trying to drive traffic to your website, but I could be mistaken as I believe you mentioned somewhere that English isn't your 1st language so there may be something lost in translation/interpretation.

Because it doesn't add anything. If you are deciding not to get these knives because of the lack of a lanyard tube, that's great. There are other options. It's a wasted feature for me and many others. I would rather not have a hole in the handle for no functional reason.

Also, aesthetics is important so if it's between a nice looking knife without a lanyard tube and a less pretty knife with a hole in the handle that I won't use, I'm buying the one without a hole.

Edit: just realized you posted here and in the Kephart thread. I have a more in-depth response there.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/kepharts-they-just-work.1627840/page-43#post-19394111

I can't help but feel like you're trying to drive traffic to your website, but I could be mistaken as I believe you mentioned somewhere that English isn't your 1st language so there may be something lost in translation/interpretation.
I think he is too.

I think a lanyard hole can be an advantage ... when in a choked up grip.

1. That is important as I am a clumsy oaf and if it gets lost in foliage a reflective cord would go a LONG way in helping me find it. However, your points do make me rethink the overwhelming importance that I accord to the lanyard hole. In any case, I am not getting it before March, 2020, when my friend travels from NY so I have a long time to think it over. Also, I am not going anywhere serious till that time and till that time my Kershaw Blur is pretty good for daily use.
  2. The sharpened spine might be hard on the thumb but that can be addressed by sticking some layers of Gorilla/duct-tape and or tying cloth to give a cushion.
Thanks for the response.

Let us see that how it goes.

Ra.

1. As I said, it is a pretty important feature for me and shan't ruin the aesthetics for me. However, as I read at the other place where I had posted the same question as I want maximum number of views/suggestion/comments as I am pretty new to all this knife business as previously I made-do with my Wenger Tool Chest and the kitchen knife (cheap $ 2-3 thing) that we carried. I never could afford those Cold Steels and Benchmades and Kershaws that were available in India and I was and am dead against buying those cheap knock-offs that we get from China at 1/10 to 1/20 the price of an original USA product.

2. Your "more in-depth response" and @22-rimfire 's suggestions made me think about my points of desirability in a knife and yes, I shall have to copy it in my notepad for later perusal.

3. Your feelings are completely misplaced. There is absolutely no need for me to drive traffic to my free/non-commercial blog/website. I had pasted my link as to direct any member, if she/he/it/xer thus desires, to visit and check my shortlist. If I pasted that shortlist here with the links to the products, THAT should and would be considered advertising, appropriate or otherwise, in my book. I do not know what definitions of self-promotion this website and its moderators subscribe to but, if one sees that list of mine, one would understand that (by God’s grace) I have absolutely no need to drive any traffic to my site to earn revenue or commission from the products mentioned, therein.

4. I do not remember mentioning that English was not my first language but, yes, it is not and there might have been some misinterpretations and/or confusion in understanding my points.

I want this small research of mine to be complete in all respects as I do not want an extra spoon in my inventory and already having a Buck 110 and a Blur S30V (both of them I shall give away after getting my Kephart, 2020) like I mentioned in the now deleted post of YouTube user Woodsman. (How am I supposed to insert an image? Using a URL? The URL shall, essentially point to my website/blog!
buck-comment-on-deleted-video-of-woodsman.png
There, I have committed the unmentionable sin of "PROMOTING" my own website, here. AGAIN)
buck-comment-on-deleted-video-of-woodsman-1.png

This is the only reason why I am posting this in different places. The data stays at one place and I can refer to it at leisure. One is free to draw one's own conclusions, for all I care! I have got a direction in regards to my doubts about the lanyard tube.

I have been given a 6-month "Warning"- I am not going to ask any moderator for rescinding it. For all I care, I may be banned for life for asking a question about knives in a KNIFE FORUM! Yes, TRUE CENSORSHIP has arrived in USA.

I think he is too.

As said, your aim is way off, Tell.

Regards and thanks for the tips and making me rethink that hole on which I base my Liberty to reject!

Ra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back