• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

I heard you can do a cryo treat in a freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick google says that cryo treated tools are gradually brought down to -300. Assuming that's factual, i dont think what you did (which is akin to leaving a knife outside overnight in a northern winter night) will help. Still, it shouldnt hurt it, and its a fun test to do!

putting your head in a freezer for an hour makes ya smarter......
IMG_3910.JPG

The knife will become more accurate.

"The science, or at least documented application of the process of cryogenic methods comes from early watchmaking, especially in the creation of high quality chronographs. The Swiss discovered that by placing their finely manufactured gears in the plentiful snow and ice during the winter after heating and tempering produced a precision that became synonymous with excellence for generations. "

About Cryogenic Treatment

C’mon, fellas. Raise your hand, who here hasn’t ever had a goofy idea? Don’t punish the OP too bad for being foolish enough to post his, that’s one way we learn things, by subjecting them to “peer review”.

Marshall, without a hardness tester or some other testing method, your guesses about edge holding/wear resistance aren’t really meaningful.

You can easily access Larrin’s test results, but they may not mean what you think they mean in terms of your own knife and it’s performance.

My advice is, remain curious, learn more about your knife (by using it), and study more metallurgy if you wish. But it’s a kinda complex topic, and not really affected much by your freezer.

Parker

I read you can get 1 or 2 Rockwell with an hour in the freezer. I threw my civivi qubit in the freezer to test this out. I don't have a Rockwell tester but was thinking maybe it will hold an edge a little longer.
Based on your research I have put my lawn mower in my driveway where it is 17 below zero. Now I wont need to sharpen the blades ever again…Thanks!

Last edited:
I read you can get 1 or 2 Rockwell with an hour in the freezer. I threw my civivi qubit in the freezer to test this out. I don't have a Rockwell tester but was thinking maybe it will hold an edge a little longer.
If its edge retention your looking for just buy something in S90V.

Of course it'll get harder but... That 1-2 Rockwell goes away when it warms back up to room temperature.

Cryogenic treatment is an entirely different level of things then your 3 month old pack of hotdogs in the chest freezer.

The only helpful thing I read was Larrins Thomases research. Evidently you will gain Rockwell's in a home freezer if you put in in there after quenching. However months later after it has been tempered it doesn't do anything. Oh well. By the way from your responses most of you sound like turned out, homo ass clown's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back