I Hunt with .357 Magnum Cast Bullets

My smokepole is a T/C .54 that I bought used for a great price, but that's just an absurd caliber. I put 230gr hardcast .45ACP projectiles into sabot sleeves and stack 'em on 100gr of 777. (the .45 heads were too hard for pistol loads). More power than that and your shoulder has my respect.
I load a .429 240 grain Jsp sabot over 90gr of FFF Goex in my T/C 50 cal White Mountain Carbine. Big Medicine on Hogs. I worked out that load so I could use one powder and spout. I load 30gr of FFF under a 220gr .457 conical with a oxyoke in my Ruger Old Army.

I've never gotten serious about shooting black powder. My dad had a modern replica muzzle-loading pistol which we enjoyed playing with, but in NZ nowadays all working pistols require a special licence endorsement and they can only be used at an approved range. There is a dedicated group of folks down here who love black powder.

I've never gotten serious about shooting black powder. My dad had a modern replica muzzle-loading pistol which we enjoyed playing with, but in NZ nowadays all working pistols require a special licence endorsement and they can only be used at an approved range. There is a dedicated group of folks down here who love black powder.

Ah yes, different issues.
I don't personally have an interest in muzzle-loaders, but the hunting seasons are often organized by weapon here. The more primitive you go, the longer (and earlier) you're allowed to go grocery shopping in the woods.

Aha. Strategic reasons to widen your options. Well done. There is no closed season for hunting feral mammals down here, and no bag limit. You do need a permit to hunt on government administered land, but there is no cost for this. Only need a licence for freshwater fishing and gamebird hunting.

I looked at the ballistics chart and decided to zero the rig for the 180 grain subsonics at 65 metres (I've gone metric because the range finder I use has a metric display). This means, in theory, that the bullet should hit about 3 cm high (about 1.2 inches) at 50 metres (about 55 yards) and I can just aim and shoot out to about 75 metres (around 82 yards). Beyond that the bullet falls rapidly with a drop of maybe five inches at 100 yards.

There was a bit of wind today, but I was pleased to get a 2.5 inch, three shot group at 100 metres (109 yards). I'd be disappointed if I got a group that big with a .223 varmint rifle, but it is cause for rejoicing that I have a cast bullet subsonic load that shoots like that. I believe its best to limit shots at game with this load to 80 yards or so anyway.
These results look similar to what I was getting out of my .22LR many years ago.

It is handy if one has similar ballistics out of two platforms of such different capabilities! I will have to do some experimenting with my Handirifle in .357 and my Marlin 1894 in .44 to see if I can get them to match up with a .22LR load! It’d be nice to be able to grab any of them and be able to get similar results with the same sight picture!

You have some nice rigs and get good results!

Thanks for sharing!

The move to subsonic .357 was a natural evolution from using subsonic .22 rimfire for hunting around farms etc. It is often best not to make too much noise.... or to have too much power where a misplaced bullet could travel further than is safe. I've noted the similarities myself. Beyond, say, sixty yards the bullet drop can be a problem. A range finder and experience helps, but even after years of using subsonics I am not keen on stretching too far.

Glad it isn't your ex-rifle Plumberroy. Let me rephrase my question.... what brand / model of rifle is your 45/70 ?

I answered that before early N.E.F. (H&R) . Handi-rifle deadliest rifle I ever pulled the trigger on for deer sized game

I answered that before early N.E.F. (H&R) . Handi-rifle deadliest rifle I ever pulled the trigger on for deer sized game
A 300 grain bullet going 1900 fps would have a significant effect on the target and your shoulder. Not surprised at the deadly results. How did you carry extra cartridges when hunting?

I will usually have a couple between my fingers of my right hand and 3-4 in my right pocket I'm left handed. I have never needed a second shot :) I am not recoil shy , but friends and family call that rifle Thumper

I load a .429 240 grain Jsp sabot over 90gr of FFF Goex in my T/C 50 cal White Mountain Carbine. Big Medicine on Hogs. I worked out that load so I could use one powder and spout. I load 30gr of FFF under a 220gr .457 conical with a oxyoke in my Ruger Old Army.

I had a T/C White Mountain Carbine 50 cal also ... it was my favorite black powder rifle ... bar none. I miss that little carbine rifle, but I agree it was great for dropping a big hog. đź‘Ť

Back