I just don’t understand!

vwb563

Gold Member
Why do companies like Kershaw keep using cheaper and cheaper steels. This morning as I was looking at some of the Black Friday specials at one of the online retailers sites I saw a Kershaw that caught my eye. I really liked what I saw as far as design goes. It was called the Airlock I believe but as soon as I started looking at the knife’s specs I quickly became disappointed when I saw the blade steel. It had a 4Cr14 stainless blade! I mean really??? I’m not the greatest fan of 8Cr but I will usually not let that stop me from buying a knife if I like the design well enough but now they’re using 4Cr stainless! I think I’ll pass Kershaw. Anyone know what 4Cr14 stainless is equivalent to? 420J2 maybe or something worse?

Last edited:
Kinda curious whether that's targeted to non-enthusiasts, where most probably would only care about whether the steel will not rust and easy to sharpen?

Now a days a lot of people are more interested in looks, shapes, name brand or gimmicks rather than performance or function. Never mind knives were made for cutting or slicing. It’s become an accessory fashion statement for some kinda like their clothes or jewelry and makers are willing to satisfy their wants.

Now a days a lot of people are more interested in looks, shapes, name brand or gimmicks rather than performance or function. Never mind knives were made for cutting or slicing. It’s become an accessory fashion statement for some kinda like their clothes or jewelry and makers are willing to satisfy their wants.
You nailed it in this category of knives. I believe they are targeting customers that likely don't even sharpen their own knives if at all.

I've posted all the junk from kershaw... it's here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...8600-model-4cr14.1638507/page-3#post-18735271

knifecenter carries them all...

they list these models as 3cr13:
1306BW Filter
1301BW Starter

4cr13 or 4cr14:
1319 Grinder
1365 Misdirect
1324 Cathode
8600 Portal

and mystery 'stainless steel' models

Personally, I'll stay away from all of the above, Kershaw does sell 8cr13 blades in the injections and many other low cost models which are a great value

vote with your wallet, 3cr13 and 4cr13 only belongs in the handle/liner... NEVER a blade

I've posted all the junk from kershaw... it's here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...8600-model-4cr14.1638507/page-3#post-18735271

knifecenter carries them all...

they list these models as 3cr13:
1306BW Filter
1301BW Starter

4cr13 or 4cr14:
1319 Grinder
1365 Misdirect
1324 Cathode
8600 Portal

and mystery 'stainless steel' models

Personally, I'll stay away from all of the above, Kershaw does sell 8cr13 blades in the injections and many other low cost models which are a great value

vote with your wallet, 3cr13 and 4cr13 only belongs in the handle/liner... NEVER a blade

I had a Kershaw Filter. It was a damn good knife. I could get it shaving hair effortlessly, easily. It would not hold an edge long at all. However, it did better than my Spyderco Tenacious with 8CR13MoV. That knife would not get sharp, or keep an edge.

Easy to sharpen steels is great for non knife people. Kershaw caters to both non knife people, and also enthusiasts.

I am not defending Kershaw, or the steel in question. I am only stating my own personal experiences.

The Filter was the knife that got me into seriously collecting knives.

Hopefully it doesn't become a pandemic:

Buck Kingsman Folding Knife

FEATURES
  • Buck Kingsman Folding Knife is a durable work knife for a variety of tasks
  • Features a ***3CR13*** steel blade and nylon glass fiber handle
  • Drop point, satin finish on blade
  • Pocket clip and liner lock
  • Blade Length: 2.75” (6.98 cm)

This is not really true. 3Cr13 makes for very usable blades... in the kitchen : you appreciate the ease of sharpening (a stone or kitchen steel is always at hand, anyway), the high stainlessness and the low buying price. All good things in that context. I admit I would not be excited by this steel in a pocket knife (a stone is not always available and you'd appreciate not having to sharpen in the middle of a task). This said, if I really like the knife, I'd still buy it because my pocket knife uses are mild. Context.

Every year, around this time, we see big brands like Kershaw, put their budget blades with low end materials on sale, often in gift packs. Wonder why that is?

Kershaw has been selling budget knives with low end steel for cheap longer than most of us have been members here. Civivi wishes they could have a 10th of the profit Kershaw, or buck, or Gerber, or crkt, etc will make selling knives in big box stores this Holliday season, 4cr steel or no.

The sky is not falling chicken little...

I googled it and a website said that it's similar to T5MoV steel - used mostly in cutlery and scissors.

Like many others, I thought that the 3cr13 blades were going to be abysmal and I questioned why anyone would ever bother with it in a knife. I have a friend had one with a broken tip, so I had the opportunity to work with it. I ground the spine down to a nice looking clip point and sharpened it up, I wouldn't put it in any edge holding contests but it was usable for every day stuff.

Frank's comparisons above are pretty accurate, there are minor differences but heat treatment makes a bigger difference than traces of steel. Unfortunately there's only so much you can do with a small amount of carbon, and when saving money is the name of the game you aren't likely to get a world class heat treatment.

Overall, great steel for a non knife person who has a tendency to break a tip, chip an edge, or otherwise ruin something more valuable. Once you learn which end of a knife to cut with you're better off moving up to something better.

Back