i just orderd a chinook 4

whats the general opinion of this knife, Pro's and con's. i chose this over the tighe stick because the lock is supposed to be better and it seems a little better suited to daily carry. thanks.

whats the general opinion of this knife, Pro's and con's. i chose this over the tighe stick because the lock is supposed to be better and it seems a little better suited to daily carry. thanks.
Hi. Don’t have the tighe stick but do have all the Chin’s except the first. Pro’s IMO are length of blade, no front choil, smooth out thumb ramp (no jimping) thinner handle and the power lock is a beast. The handle locks in your grip with pinky choil and slight guard in the front. The knife feels lighter for me when changing grips rapidly. The clip is nice and tight and is kinda like the Military where the screws are spread out for increased strength.
Con’s for some might be that it’s not a flickable knife like a PM2, it kinda sticks out a bit in front pocket and it’s just a bigger knife in today’s PC world. The clip is only R hand tip up only that some have complained and the price has been an issue for some as well.
This knife overall is awesome for me but my demands are coming from martial arts background. I purchased two. Hope this helps.

The Chinook 4 is on my short list. I'm glad you started a thread about it. I haven't seen much by way of discussion or pictures. Perhaps others will comment. I'd be interested in hearing some more user reports.

I should carry my # 3 more than I do. It's a great knife. I got a great deal on the fs forums on it in excellent condition for $90.
The 4 is looks like a cool knife too.

Bringing back this older post, sorry but didn’t find any current ones. I’m surprised there isn’t more chatter about the Chinook 4, I recently got one and am really impressed with the design and build quality. LOVE the power lock, when you open the blade it’s open! Bam, it’s locked and going no where, SOLID! Really reminds me of the fixed blade feel the tri-ad lock gives. To be honest I was hoping to really like the police 4, the fit, finish and lockup were good, but the Chinook is a whole nother level! We will see how the upswept blade is for EDC in the long run, but for deer season I’ll be carrying it for sure. Any feedback from someone who has been carrying it a while?

Rides in pocket quite nicely because it is so very thin. Excellent ergos, robust but very pointy tip. Special lock permits a lot of force on the back of the blade and clicks open in such a satisfying way. I was able to flick it open but it seems designed to slow-roll open or maybe spydie-drop. Probably not a popular opinion but I think the knife should have been set up for tip down carry for spydie-drop opening. The curved handle would also sit in pocket even better that way. The negative blade angle and big belly make for deep slashing cuts, much like the Massad Ayoob. It’s a great slicer, great blade and tip control and it is a serviceable EDC choice, but the knife lends itself more to stabbing and slashing by design, so if your EDC philosophy excludes stabbing and slashing and various limb-trapping moves the knife is designed for, it’s probably not gonna be optimal.

Love the 'nooks. The current ones are a lot thinner and lighter than the original. Makes them easier to carry but least beastly. Would love to see a sprint 'nook 1 with modern steel and lock.

I call mine the Rhino Millie.

Bad ass blade and cool design. I couldn't get past the sharp edges on the liners...if it felt friendlier in hand I probably would sill have it.

One of the best knives Spyderco makes. Have the TS too, but the Chinook is a much better knife, and the blade is easier to use for general purpose than the strange TS Tanto. BTW, few people realize, the power lock makes the Chinook much easier to flip (besides being a good lock).

That being said, I'd have a hard time deciding between Chinook 4 and Hundred Pacer.

The chinooks look interesting. I like the blade profile a lot. I have never handled one but are they too heavy in pocket?

I think I want a Massad (I like how it still has the sweeping blade but thinner and it’s lighter) but can’t find one so have been pondering if I should pull the trigger on this one. Even if I got one of the two it would only be for certain occasions as I prefer to be more risk adverse in terms of public perception and my delica/dragonfly are enough for EDC tasks.

Would like to get more Opinions from Chinook owners/carriers thanks in advance for sharing.

I have 4 and 1. I carry both clip-less in my pocket, the 4 is much lighter than the 1 though.

The 1 is the nicest Bowie folder that I have.

The 4 is a _very_ functional knife for EDC, camping, etc., (I don't carry it for SD), but the almost 4" Persian blade it is quite impressive ...

The chinooks look interesting. I like the blade profile a lot. I have never handled one but are they too heavy in pocket?

I think I want a Massad (I like how it still has the sweeping blade but thinner and it’s lighter) but can’t find one so have been pondering if I should pull the trigger on this one. Even if I got one of the two it would only be for certain occasions as I prefer to be more risk adverse in terms of public perception and my delica/dragonfly are enough for EDC tasks.

Would like to get more Opinions from Chinook owners/carriers thanks in advance for sharing.
Michael, the Chinook 4 is not a small knife, but not as big as a Military or Police 4, call it Medium/Large. It carries slightly heavier/bigger than a Gayle Bradley 2 in my pocket. Jeans and cargo pants are good to go with this knife, not dress pants. It’s not so big that you wouldn’t want to EDC it. With the power lock it is the most solid feeling Spyderco I own and the way the belly of the blade is below the handle it makes it more practical for regular cutting uses. It’s a fun knife, I recommend you try one!

I have one of all of the Chinook designs. It's always been one of my favorite Spydercos.
Hands down the best one to me is the current evolution, the Chinook 4. The design feels more refined then earlier models. Ergonomics have improved on an already comfortable design. It's thinner and lighter then the others but it's far from a small knife. It makes a great EDC for jeans / cargo pants. The Power Lock snaps home with authority. Never had any issues with it. The FFG blade is just a beast of a user. The edge is dropped below you knuckles in a sabre grip.
It's an extremely well thought out design. The manufacturing and F & F are first rate.
It would be hard to go wrong with one if you are looking for a tough, large folder.

I bought one recently. I love the blade shape, love the handle shape and love the lock. But...
It’s very thick behind the edge at 0.030”. And the angle was over 20 dps and uneven. The angle I fixed with a lot of work but you can’t fix thickness.
The pivot screw is tiny and you can see the handles spread apart slightly when you flex the blade with your fingers. You don’t see this with any of the Colorado or Taichung Spyderco’s I own. So I took it apart to understand this today. The tang around the pivot is very small, 0.45” diameter. The washers could have been 0.45” but they are only 0.3” diameter. That plus the tiny pivot is why the flex. I truly don’t understand the engineering choices here. A PM2 has a much more robust blade attachment, let alone a military.
The power lock may be very strong against negative blade pressure but I guarantee this knife is weaker than most against side loads. Is it strong enough? I’m on the fence right now.
Another thing. This knife’s action is sensitive to tightness of the power lock screw as well as the pivot screw. Mine came well adjusted. But there was no blue Loktite anywhere and these two screws spun freely. That’s asking for trouble for most consumers.
This knife needs a little CQI love and Seki City needs some tough love, IMO.

Don't disagree with you, Mark, but this is kind of a tradition with Seki City Spydercos. Think Endura and Police ... All for the sake of weight, and the trend goes in the wrong direction, lightweight this or that.

There are alternatives, though:

i-nsPgLLN-X3.jpg

The Chinook 1 has a larger Pivot (this one above now has Military PB Washers).

Roland.

The design has always appealed to me, but I’ve never handled one. That’s all I can contribute here.:confused:

Don't disagree with you, Mark, but this is kind of a tradition with Seki City Spydercos. Think Endura and Police ... All for the sake of weight, and the trend goes in the wrong direction, lightweight this or that.

There are alternatives, though:

i-nsPgLLN-X3.jpg

The Chinook 1 has a larger Pivot (this one above now has Military PB Washers).

Roland.

My Chin 1 is built like a tank, no complaints, love the sculpting on the blade too.
_DSC4599Pottervilleret.jpg

Back