I Made Some Hammer Technique Videos

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
Hey Folks

I made a short 3 part series discussing and demonstrating my current(ever evolving) hammer technique. It's main focus is on ergonomics... stance, stroke, angles, etc...

I hope you can get through them all without cringing. Comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Last edited:
I'm gonna watch all of these in the morning while drinking my coffee! I'm already excited. I need techniques!

Rick, these vids are great. I like your stance/grip. I played drums for a number of years and I find myself using a similar grip b/c it kind of reflects how I'd hold my drumsticks and use my wrists when I played. It gives it a more nuanced feel and I get better hammer control that way.

-Mike

Rick, these vids are great. I like your stance/grip. I played drums for a number of years and I find myself using a similar grip b/c it kind of reflects how I'd hold my drumsticks and use my wrists when I played. It gives it a more nuanced feel and I get better hammer control that way.

-Mike

Thanks. I am drummer of almost 30yrs, myself. The Hofi method is very similar to the Moeller Technique in drumming(minus the multiple bounce... lol). I had no trouble picking it up as it already felt natural to me.

I watched your videos. I liked them a lot and I'm glad you made them. I like having a reference to go to now. Much appreciation. :thumbup:

Thanks. I am drummer of almost 30yrs, myself. The Hofi method is very similar to the Moeller Technique in drumming(minus the multiple bounce... lol). I had no trouble picking it up as it already felt natural to me.

Rick, I had to look up both the Hofi method and the Moeller technique; their similarities are pretty interesting. When I first started forging I tried my best approximate a "traditional" hammer stroke, and quickly developed tennis elbow. I switched to my current style initially just as a way to do some light practice while the TE was clearing up. But it ended up feeling a lot more natural and kept the TE at bay so I just stuck with it, and resolved myself to using "improper" technique. I was actually a left-handed drummer who played a right-handed kit (i.e., I used my left hand on the HH, right hand on snare, arms uncrossed) so doing things the "wrong" way was something I was used to.

btw, did you make those hammers?

...no chicks?

Wtf.

Nice work, bro. Need to get my forte area back up and alive, and yur vids did nothing but get the pot stewin'.

The links are broken... but the addresses are still good. I'll see if I can reenter them.

Exactly what I need. Anyway to do a video on how you set up your post anvil? Gonna grab a 5x5x5 chunk of steel next month and I think your set up is the best I've seen. Anyway thanks for the hammer technique!

Hey Rick,

I just watched your videos, they are great. I just ordered a 4x4x4 post anvil and will need to mount it to something. I noticed your post anvil setup is higher than traditional, are you happy with it? is it a few inches below waistline, or? would you change anything about it overall?

I am still most comfortable on my post anvil for bladesmithing. If I stand up straight and lay the hammer down on its side(on the face of the anvil) with the handle pointing at me, it is just below my belt buckle. In my "ready" stance, the handle hits my belt buckle.

Back