I Need a Manicure (or: how to save your fingernails)

(Yes, this is meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek) Yesterday i pulled off a good, clean, consistent FFG grind with thickness at edge of 0.001” on a 7” Petty, without over grinding the edge. A little bit of a zen moment that: look/feel/grind, exert more pressure HERE, then exert more pressure THERE, etc. however, the stock was pretty thin 0.06”, and so had the occasional “zing” on my fingers supporting from underneath. Ended up with some rather nice divots on three Of my fingernails. Not really injury... but nice to avoid. I could have used magnets on back of blade instead of my fingers ... but then fear i would have lost the zen of the feel...

how do you avoid this with thin stock ... if you can?

I tape my thumbs and index fingers.

This is a solid idea, can’t remember who sells the leather finger condoms (Tru-Grit actually) but I picked some up (should be here this week). I’ll report if they are to thick and cause you to lose feeling or sensation (lol). Good thread idea though

I use these, backwards on my pointer.
Oh ... now I see - you use them backwards to protect your nail, and the pads of your fingers are bare. good idea.

Stefan - what kind of tape do you use? Duck tape?

Just for yucks, this is what I am talking about. Sounds like I am not the only person to experience this....
upload_2019-11-12_11-24-35.png

I rarely ding the flat of my nails anymore,thank God because grinding through the nail there on a coarse belt can be nasty,so it must come with a bit of practice
But even if you don't cut,grind or burn your fingers or hands,knife making will gnarl up your hands and leave them like a neanderthals

(Yes, this is meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek) Yesterday i pulled off a good, clean, consistent FFG grind with thickness at edge of 0.001” on a 7” Petty, without over grinding the edge. A little bit of a zen moment that: look/feel/grind, exert more pressure HERE, then exert more pressure THERE, etc. however, the stock was pretty thin 0.06”, and so had the occasional “zing” on my fingers supporting from underneath. Ended up with some rather nice divots on three Of my fingernails. Not really injury... but nice to avoid. I could have used magnets on back of blade instead of my fingers ... but then fear i would have lost the zen of the feel...

how do you avoid this with thin stock ... if you can?

I will be sure to let you know as soon as soon I figure it out for myself. :p:D
49055016293_fbf80b5087_c.jpg

I take a dowel and sand off a small flat spot on the end for the spine to ride on.

I then hold onto the dowel and use my thumb to provide pressure the the blade. The dowel just skims the belt and save my fingers from getting ground down

Last edited:
Stefan - what kind of tape do you use? Duck tape?

View attachment 1230810

Yep, just plain old silver duct tape.

For delicate blades I just tape my fingers for full tactile feel. But I also have thin cut resistant gloves where the thumbs and index fingers are duct taped the same way. This makes it more practical if you need to remove them back and forth.

dont worry about your fingernails, they are there to protect your fingers :) your fine, i also like to grind bare handed , fast, heavy pressure with zero protection, I only do it when im 100% alert and fast reflexes, for me thats basically a two hour window about 9 to 11 am.

I use electrical tape, sometimes with 3 mil nitrile gloves for wet grinding. Had to retape a few times last weekend.

When I first started I found Salem's web site. After grinding my fingers I thought I'd try his method of using a push stick. I still use one. Mine is 1/4" wide, 1 1/4" high and 3-4" long with a 1/4x1/4 step ground into the front. The step gets shorter with the thinness of the spine and I cut in a new one for the next knife. It's part of the reason I dip my blades every pass because I can't judge the heat.

When I first started I found Salem's web site. After grinding my fingers I thought I'd try his method of using a push stick. I still use one. Mine is 1/4" wide, 1 1/4" high and 3-4" long with a 1/4x1/4 step ground into the front. The step gets shorter with the thinness of the spine and I cut in a new one for the next knife. It's part of the reason I dip my blades every pass because I can't judge the heat.

Want to show us a picture? :)

Just ground a nakiri, and tried Stromberg's duct tape. seemed to work well. Thicker blade though ... felt the tape lightly against the belt a couple times, but do personal dings. did not really interfere with the use of the fingers. Thanks Stefan!

I just use a push stick. Nothin' fancy, just a scrap of wood, micarta, or HDPE with a little ledge ground in to hold the spine of the blade (if I'm not using a work rest). Contour the "handle" to your tastes, and go to town.

Back