I Need a Manicure (or: how to save your fingernails)

how do you keep the blade stable against vertical motion?
A few ways. First, you can use your platen table for this.
I've also heard of folks leaving a tab at the tip to grab onto, then grind it off last.
While I haven't tried this, this looks like it might be a useful tool for that.

Last year I was leaning into a bolster with a 36 grit belt running full speed. The bolster slipped and I went thumb first into the belt. Looked down and all I had left was about 1/8 of my nail and most of the end of my thumb was peeled back towards the tip. A big red streak going around the belt. It barely bled but was a mess. Had to cut off the ground-up skin.

Wife wanted me to get stitches. I had to explain that there was nothing left to stitch. Surprisingly the nail came back and everything is good. Got lucky.

I like that tool.
I like it to , clever ! But honestly maybe i will never understand why free hand grinding .Just look that video and watch how he struggles to hold that knife in line .........he will grind that blade half hour , get jig and done that in several minutes , both side !
Or at least use some small work rest for support ........

Last edited:
Last year I was leaning into a bolster with a 36 grit belt running full speed. The bolster slipped and I went thumb first into the belt. Looked down and all I had left was about 1/8 of my nail and most of the end of my thumb was peeled back towards the tip. A big red streak going around the belt. It barely bled but was a mess. Had to cut off the ground-up skin.

Wife wanted me to get stitches. I had to explain that there was nothing left to stitch. Surprisingly the nail came back and everything is good. Got lucky.
Ouch. Tmi. Glad it turned out ok

:p:D:D:D

What, no pics?

Back