I need boots

MTB

Its just about time that I need a new pair of boots. In the past I have settled for the cheaper (<$100)models from Columbia, Redhead, and Hitech. Honestly they have done well, but newer models tend to be less appealing to me. I hate all the synthetic material and all the patchwork sewing that seems to be on most modern footwear. I cant accurately describe how much I hate all the patch work they put on footwear these days! More seams mean more failure points. Anyway, about two years ago, I bought my first pair of "real" work boots. A pair of leather boots from the USA company Chippewa. Hands down, the most comfortable and durable boots I have ever owned. Seeing as how they are my work boots, I decided I would like to replace my everyday/hiking boots with an equally comfortable and high quality boot. Turning back to Chippewa I found that most of the models I like have been removed from their website. I also checked out Redwing and found one or two models that were ok. Beside those two brands, what other companies should I check out?

Uses include:
around town.
hiking and camping.
yard work.

What I am looking for is:
6" boot.
all leather upper.
no bright colors.
no random/pointless patches of fabric or leather sewn all over the boot.
non-insulated.
classic heavy vibram sole preferred but any sole with heavy traction should do.
made in the USA preferred but wont rule out boots from other reputable sources.
$250 or less

I think thats all I can come up with at the moment. Thanks in advance for any brand suggestions!

I love the looks of the Iron Ranger! The sole isn't as beefy as I want though. The lugs on them are very shallow. Now if they had the same sole as the Roughneck, it would be a winnner. The Roughneck is the model I like best so far on the Redwing site.

I just got a pair of Meindls yesterday. My last pair lasted 8 years at work,hunting, hiking, fishing etc.
Get a pair of Mendls and dont look back.

Meindl rules.i own The "Ortler" and like The "Island Professional GTX" As well
Next to them, i would Go for
LOWA ( i own and use The Renegade SEK)
And of course
HAIX( as said in german TV: "heroes wear Haix"

If you look up outdoorgearlab.com, under Best hiking boots for men 2020, you will find a detailed comparison of what the product testers found were the highest performance boots, with pictures, scoring in different categories, price etc. In this list, one fits your requirement of traditional all leather upper, the Vasque St Elias. Personally I'm a big fan of Hoka one one shoes and boots.

$250 or less makes it hard to find any of the better American brands. I'm happy with my Nicks and Whites but the best way to buy either is go to their factories in Spokane.

I have some 9" Rocky boots (camo, with gortex) and find them very good for hunting or hiking/wandering places where the footing isn't as predictable. They give enough ankle support and are sufficiently aggressive vibram soles. My hiking shoes/boots have a non-aggressive vibram sole that can cause slippage on rain or water coated surfaces. I'm currently looking a snake chaps for warm weather woods wandering (off trail) and I would be wearing the Rocky boots with them.

Well, I have a pair of Filson Highlander boots that I bought before my eldest was born. She is now a Junior in College. They still look brand new. And, yes... I've used them.

Redwings.
I've owned my work pair for over 10yrs, have been resoled twice.

My camping pair gets less use but still 10 years old, resoled once. 6" black leather. I hate the modern patchwork ones too, and once they get wet they take twice as long to dry out as plain leather.

Irish setter, They are a division of Redwing.
I have a pair of vaprtrek I am very pleased with. I also like Vasquez.

Danner USA made! Their leather boots are top notch and resoleable. I've had a pair of canadiens since 88 I'm pretty sure (memory not so hit anymore) & mountain light 2 since early 2000's. Good quality stuff. Chippewa is good too. An interesting site to browse is big black boots dotcom. I got a pair of Hercules cosmas from there.. Great boots as well.

Back