I need help - Survival Knife

Hello !

I am torn apart between two survival knives, after many researches I've decided to finally buy one of those :

- Bark River Aurora in CPM3V
- Tops B.O.B. in carbon

Does anyone who has them or any experience with one can help me choose because it is driving me crazy..
I am looking for a survival knife, the one I can rely on in any circomstances, the only one I will take if I only had to pick one, a very tough knife which could perform any task.
I ended up with those two..

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
There is really no such thing as THE survival knife just like there is no THE car or THE gun. There are individual opinions on what each person thinks is best for what they consider survival or any use. There certainly is no such thing as an INDESTRUCTIBLE knife.
Your choice depends on what you will use it for and your definition of survival. I've been in some pretty shaky situations and it was never a knife that kept me alive. The best survival tool is between your ears.--KV

of course.. I mean, I don't know what to answer to that Sir, I am just looking for a very good (if you prefer) survival knife and I can't decide between those two after long hours of research. Anyone with a brain is much better with a butter knife than the biggest moron with a freaking sharp sword. Like I said, I am looking for the best between the aurora and the bob that will help me (and my brain) the best in a pretty shaky situation for example, or in a middle of a forrest on my own. I just need an advice, not a lesson, no offense, given nor taken

of course.. I mean, I don't know what to answer to that Sir, I am just looking for a very good (if you prefer) survival knife and I can't decide between those two after long hours of research. Anyone with a brain is much better with a butter knife than the biggest moron with a freaking sharp sword. Like I said, I am looking for the best between the aurora and the bob that will help me (and my brain) the best in a pretty shaky situation for example, or in a middle of a forrest on my own. I just need an advice, not a lesson, no offense, given nor taken
Buy em both and you decide. I wouldn't buy either one of them. My $.02.--KV

Sooo, you just want us to pick one of those 2 and not give any other suggestions????
Either one would probably work.:p

Dunno where you are located, but if in a reasonably dry climate, get the TOPS. If in a humid/coastal region, go with the BR.

Either is serviceable. I have other knives I'm more partial to, but of the two options...

Sooo, you just want us to pick one of those 2 and not give any other suggestions????
Either one would probably work.:p

Please, let me know if you have other suggestions. It was stupid of me not to let people suggest other knives, I changed it in my topic :)

Dunno where you are located, but if in a reasonably dry climate, get the TOPS. If in a humid/coastal region, go with the BR.

Either is serviceable. I have other knives I'm more partial to, but of the two options...

Thank you and please let me know if you have other knives in mind, the ones you are more partial to like you say,after all in my country we say that there are only morons that don't change their mind ;)

It really depends quite a bit on how you envision using your knife. In general, I prefer either a guard or deep finger choil, at least, on a knife I use for heavy pushing or pulling cuts, or chopping.
Esee's E-6 is one I like (but don't have because I already have faaaaarrrr too many!). Cold Steel's Recon Scout is about the same price as the BOB, and more of what I like to have. But, that's me...

In stainless, I have a Boker Apparo, with a reprofiled edge, in my truck, and it's just a good chop-it, dig-it, split-it, reshape nature bang around blade. The saw I could give or take, but at least it's a reasonably functional design.

My suggestion would be a carothers field knife or heavy duty field knife. They are amazingly tough and hold a great edge. I feel that Everyone on here would agree that his 3v beats any other companys hands down. And he take a look at carothers performance knives reviews and videos. Any knife that can baton through nails and concrete and still do fine work slicing paper or tomato is amazing. If they are too much honestly i would buy a becker/kabar.

My suggestion would be a carothers field knife or heavy duty field knife. They are amazingly tough and hold a great edge. I feel that Everyone on here would agree that his 3v beats any other companys hands down. And he take a look at carothers performance knives reviews and videos. Any knife that can baton through nails and concrete and still do fine work slicing paper or tomato is amazing. If they are too much honestly i would buy a becker/kabar.

Thanks, somebody else said the same thing about those knives, I really want the UFK/FK2 but I saw how difficult it is to buy one from the guy who craft it. Hope to get one too, it looks amazing..

Between the two your originally proposed- I think the steel is the one the biggest differences- With 3V it will be tougher, hold an edge a good deal longer, but also take a good deal longer to sharpen, 1095 will be very easy to sharpen, but also dull quicker. They're both not stainless, but 3V will resist staining a bit more. A couple other good Options-

BRK Bravo 1 LT (definitely go with the thinner stock of the LT)
Cold Steel Master Hunter - 3V (3V for cheap, nice FFG too)
ESEE RC-4 (Classic in 1095 and lots of color/handle/sheath options)
Fallkniven F1 (Classic Stainless, comfortable handle)

TOP PICK: Bradford Knives Guardian 4 or 4.5 (I have the Guardian 4 and its my current favorite in this category- you can get 3V if you value toughness, or M390 if you value Stainlessness and edge holding)

Good call, @ michaelm466
I keep forgetting about the G4, and I've been using mine a fair amount recently (probably why I forget about it...it's been strapped on my climbing harness, rather than in the box with my other fixed blades).
Interesting how much more stained the Bark River 3v is in comparison...but I think I cut hot meat with it, (and the look seems to confirm that)
8bnLPdX.jpg

I’ve tested more than 200 knives

What I’ve learned is the knife you like in a photo may or may not feel and cut like you expect it to once you hold and use it.

If you are set on those 2 knives get one and test it. If it isn’t all you want or expect it to be then resell it here and get the other one.

You will get a lot of good suggestions on knife models to try but remember what feels good in your hand and cuts well can ONLY be determined by you during knife use.

Good luck with your search

Dr Bill

I’ve tested more than 200 knives

What I’ve learned is the knife you like in a photo may or may not feel and cut like you expect it to once you hold and use it.

If you are set on those 2 knives get one and test it. If it isn’t all you want or expect it to be then resell it here and get the other one.

You will get a lot of good suggestions on knife models to try but remember what feels good in your hand and cuts well can ONLY be determined by you during knife use.

Good luck with your search

Dr Bill

Thanks for your wisdom :) and I know you're right. If it's too complicated to get a Carothers Performance Knife UFK/FK2, I will probably go for the Aurora in 3V. You that held so many knives, maybe you could help me choose between the green or black canvas, I never saw neither of them so it's difficult to choose and both look good.. Thank you, Sir

Thanks for your wisdom :) and I know you're right. If it's too complicated to get a Carothers Performance Knife UFK/FK2, I will probably go for the Aurora in 3V. You that held so many knives, maybe you could help me choose between the green or black canvas, I never saw neither of them so it's difficult to choose and both look good.. Thank you, Sir
Bark River makes Excellent knives
Customer service is also excellent
Mike Stewart is First Class all the way too

I like G-10 best of all but micarta is a close second. As far as Color if you think you might sell the knife get a popular color.

I love Orange G-10 but most people do not so it would be harder to sell a knife with an orange handle as compared to a black handle.

Again you can’t go wrong with Bark River

Although harder to find and at a higher cost but the come up on the exchange fairly often ... but my first choice for that "absolutely only one knife" ... would be the Carothers HDFK ... big enough to handle most any task yet designed so well it does finer work incrediably well ...

LT Wright Outback or GNS in 3V or AEB-L if you want stainless ... are great all around knives and not bad price wise for a knife to do everything ...

Bradford Guardian 4.5 ... in 3V another really good all around knife and extremely well built ...

And if you want a less expensive but very capable knife the Becker BK16 is hard to beat for the price ... it may even allow you to buy the BK16 and a BK9 for chopping/batoning or larger jobs ...

and all of those have great customer service ...

Back