I need help - Survival Knife

Hello !

I am torn apart between two survival knives, after many researches I've decided to finally buy one of those :

- Bark River Aurora in CPM3V
- Tops B.O.B. in carbon

Does anyone who has them or any experience with one can help me choose because it is driving me crazy..
I am looking for a survival knife, the one I can rely on in any circomstances, the only one I will take if I only had to pick one, a very tough knife which could perform any task.
I ended up with those two..

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Yes toughness is indeed a very important criteria but I am more looking for a multi task survival knife, like I said the one you would take if you only had to pick one

Yes toughness is indeed a very important criteria but I am more looking for a multi task survival knife, like I said the one you would take if you only had to pick one

in that case i'd have to handle and use both extensively to see which handle ergos and balance i liked the best... and that process usually takes me awhile.

for example, i have multiple survive! knives and they all looked good to me on paper and i was fully expecting the newest knife (new spec gso 4.1) would be my favorite from that brand...but only after using them did i found that my overall favorite is the old spec gso 4.1, followed very closely by the 4.7 then the new spec 4.1 is a distant last!

I couldn't in good faith recommend either of those knives if it was down to a "I can only take one" ... I'd have to lie to not say there are a bunch better choices ... good luck

I couldn't in good faith recommend either of those knives if it was down to a "I can only take one" ... I'd have to lie to not say there are a bunch better choices ... good luck

Well maybe it was a bit stupid of me not to let people tell me about other knives, I am here to ask for some advices after all so please, let me know which one you would personnaly pick, Sir

in that case i'd have to handle and use both extensively to see which handle ergos and balance i liked the best... and that process usually takes me awhile.

for example, i have multiple survive! knives and they all looked good to me on paper and i was fully expecting the newest knife (new spec gso 4.1) would be my favorite from that brand...but only after using them did i found that my overall favorite is the old spec gso 4.1, followed very closely by the 4.7 then the new spec 4.1 is a distant last!

Thank you, and what is you personal favorite one?

Thank you, and what is you personal favorite one?

in the extreme use case and i can only take one? an axe...either my gb scandinavian forest axe if in deep winter or h&b forge shawnee tomahawk for my most frequented areas or a machete if in a jungle environment.

if it has to be a knife and not in a jungle-like environment then my busse basic 10 hands down.

The Aurora has the superior 3V steel -- tougher, better edge retention, and more corrosion resistance. The BOB's 1095 is easier to sharpen, but that advantage may be obviated by the Aurora's convex grind, which is easily sharpened by stropping.

The Aurora has the classic bushcraft blade style, more spear point than drop point.

I'd go with the Aurora with canvas micarta scales for a secure grip (stay away from wood).

In that size range, I'd go with a CPK Field Knife in D3V (original or FK2/UFK)... but, if you want to keep some $ in your pocket, an Esee 4 or BK16 wil serve you well.

As far as Bark River; I prefer the Bravo 1-LT or Fox River LT over the Aurora... but that's a personal choice

An alternative is the Swamp Rat Ratmandu, on the Busse Combat website. A bit longer than your two choices at 5.5" blade, but about the same thickness, and with an extremely comfortable handle. Steel is SR101 which is a modified 52100 with the top-of-the-line Busse heat treat. It should have better edge holding than CPM-3V and is probably as tough or even tougher than the Bark River cpm-3v (though would not be tougher than the CPK cpm-3V with the delta heat treat). If you can, get the CPK, they're sold on the Exchange here now and then.

The Aurora has the superior 3V steel -- tougher, better edge retention, and more corrosion resistance. The BOB's 1095 is easier to sharpen, but that advantage may be obviated by the Aurora's convex grind, which is easily sharpened by stropping.

The Aurora has the classic bushcraft blade style, more spear point than drop point.

I'd go with the Aurora with canvas micarta scales for a secure grip (stay away from wood).

Thanks for the advice mate, I was actually hesitating with the wood one. Now I can't decide with the green or black, maybe more the green if I go for the aurora.. I heard it was really beautiful, let me know if you had the chance to have both in your hands..! Really hard to find a shop which isn't sold out by the way..

E8kDvsp.jpg

Top to bottom: BK16 (dyed micarta), DPX HEFT4, Esee 4, BRKT Fox River-LT, BRKT Bravo 1-LT, CPK Field Knife (disc), CPK Field Knife 2 (aka Ultimate Field Knife)
The Fox River LT and Field Knife have seen only light use; but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. The FK2 is newly arrived.

E8kDvsp.jpg

Top to bottom: BK16 (dyed micarta), DPX HEFT4, Esee 4, BRKT Fox River-LT, BRKT Bravo 1-LT, CPK Field Knife (disc), CPK Field Knife 2 (aka Ultimate Field Knife)
The Fox River LT and Field Knife have seen only light use; but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. The FK2 is newly arrived.

The CPK knives seem impossible to buy, can't find one retailer..

No retailer - has to be purchased directly from maker. He does sales on Fridays... check his forum here for information. (Unfortunately, he just did the UFK/FK2 two weeks in a row; and won't be doing another run until later this year.
Here's the information about his sales - he updates the first post with information about the date, model, and quantity

Here's another place to check

Last edited:
No retailer - has to be purchased directly from maker. He does sales on Fridays... check his forum here for information. (Unfortunately, he just did the UFK/FK2 two weeks in a row; and won't be doing another run until later in the year)

So the UFK/FK2 is one only knife and he does only this one? Do you recommend one from him, if there are more? And compare to the aurora, which one is better? thank you again!

No. He does other knives - his work is popular, and he focuses on one (or two) model(s) at a time; then switches to another.
I'm not going to compare it to the Aurora - I've never even handled an Aurora. I'll dig up his video on the original field knife for you. I like my Bark River knives... but, if i could only have one knife & had to DEPEND on it, I'd choose CPK over a Barkie.

Here's the link to the last FK2 sale. (It's over; but the first post has all the important information about the knife, including video)
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-big-slow-sale-cpk-utility-field-knife-delta-3v.1658446/

No. He does other knives - his work is popular, and he focuses on one (or two) model(s) at a time; then switches to another.
I'm not going to compare it to the Aurora - I've never even handled an Aurora. I'll dig up his video on the original field knife for you. I like my Bark River knives... but, if i could only have one knife & had to DEPEND on it, I'd choose CPK over a Barkie.

Here's the link to the last FK2 sale. (It's over; but the first post has all the important information about the knife, including video)
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-big-slow-sale-cpk-utility-field-knife-delta-3v.1658446/

thank you very much, they look amazing, now I may want this one instead of the others lol
very difficult to choose the handles, especially when he doesn't show the colors but wow.. I contacted him on facebook, hope it ain't too difficult to get one..

hope it ain't too difficult to get one..
As I mentioned earlier, they won't be available again until later in the year. (If you don't believe me, the man himself said it in the sale thread I posted "This is the last of these until we run more later in the year"

You can get one on the secondary market; but expect to pay a premium. (Personally, since it isn't discontinued, I'd rather wait & pay the maker for his work; as opposed to financing somebody else's purchasing habits... but if you don't want to wait, they can be had. Some of us have extras)

Look at some of the old ads if you want to see the handle options.

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, they won't be available again until later in the year. (If you don't believe me, the man himself said it in the sale thread I posted "This is the last of these until we run more later in the year"

You can get one on the secondary market; but expect to pay a premium. (Personally, since it isn't discontinued, I'd rather wait & pay the maker for his work; as opposed to financing somebody else's purchasing habits... but if you don't want to wait, they can be had. Some of us have extras)

Of course I believe you, and yes I understand, I too will prefer to finance him directly and hope I will be able to. Seems like a race and the worst part is that I live in France, I don't have the same hour than you guys when he will make the sell, and hope he can send it worldwide too by the way. I asked him, hope he will reply..!

Back