I need help with a d*#n coyote

I looked up specifically deer eating baby birds and they do, it seems as well as baby rabbits, mice and other small mammals they run across grazing. They also do eat the low nesting birds habitat away and those birds don't adapt to higher trees. As you can read here...

http://www.deeralliance.com/node/41

Last edited:
If moving another 2/two feet up causes that much trouble for them then maybe they shouldn't survive.

Never thought deer would eat birds did you, surprised me.

Shot a young groundhog years ago that was eating something, beans in field were to high to see what it was, walked off the shot, right at 250. Got up to it and it was eating a baby rabbit, had blood all over itself, and half the rabbit gone.

Still not as surprising as deer eating birds.

Cats should stay inside. Coyotes outside, YMMV, but you should never let coyotes in the house. jmo

Coyotes are the main predators of fawns in my woods, even more so than black bear.

I don't think my kitty ever ate a fawn. I realize that what happened to my kitties was in a turn-a-bout way, the same thing they did to the little birds and mice. I MIGHT take a notion to do the same. Besides, we do have deer here also. At least for the time being.

If you arent already a bow hunter I wouldnt reccomend trying to use one to take an animal inside the city limits ... My suggestion would be to contact your local DNR office and tell them about the issue and see if they might offer assistance in either trapping or in keeping them away ... you can often keep animals away with scents and motion ...

Those who love their cats keep them indoors. On my property, it's house cats that are shot on sight. Coyotes get a pass.

I go with the ones who advise to keep your cats in. We keep ours in. They don't like it but, too bad. I live in the great Pacific Northwest and Coyotes are everywhere. We visit Fort Lewis and McChord AFB frequently and you can see them in broad daylight around the airfields and on the golf course. If they are that bold in the day, can you imagine what's going on at night? A neighbors cat was killed by one just a few weeks ago, and we live in a very densely populated (humans) area. Coyotes don't care. They hunt at night and you might never see one if you don't know where to look. If you live within city limits there are probably laws against discharging a gun, so definitely check with the PD before doing that. Otherwise you'll get the fine and the coyotes will get a big laugh at your expense. I sympathize with your loss of some of your cats. They are family. But if you want to get rid of the coyotes you have to do it legally.

Thanks brother and I do live within the city limits. I'm not ignorant. I do have an older Jennings compound that I've had since the 70's and I'm quite good with it. She just had a spa treatment with a new string and carbon arrows. Who knows, I could get one of those popup blinds, get a electric call, one of those little twiching squirrel tails, sit back and wait?

You guys don't get it, let's leave the kitties out of the equation for a minute, I'd do this just for the fawns next spring.

Sounds like it's rural enough to at least get away with a rimfire. .22 with a rabbit yelper has accounted for a lot of dead 'yotes. Definitely want to hit em in the melon.

Around here, deer are more numerous than rabbits. The game department used to be rabidly protective of the deer herd. Now they won't even show up to investigate if you call in poaching.

I just fired the 12 gauge off into the woods, because a pack of coyotes were up to my two acre dog pen, yippin at my 4 dogs driving them crazy. I don't know what it is the coyotes are after but they've been coming up barking and yipping ever since November. The dogs bark all night long nearly.

Jill, are you gonna put up with them or eventually get a belly full of them?

Shoulda fired it at them would have done more good. They're trying to eat your dogs

Shoulda fired it at them would have done more good. They're trying to eat your dogs

It was dark and in thick woods. I ordered a number 2 bridger coil spring offset jaw trap this morning. I'm going to hang some meat in a tree and set it below. If I catch one I'll shoot it and leave it as a warning.

Dogs in heat will bring the coyotes in a hurry. The male yotes love it, the female yotes will rip a bitch in heat to pieces.

I'm going to jump in and repeat the advice you got earlier from Ajack60 that a call go to your city's animal control group. You mention you live in the 'city' limits. If it's just a small town then that might not do you any good, resources and all. But in most larger towns or cities they will often have some pretty well trained and experienced folks in the animal control group since they get called out to take care of all kinds of critters. It may be a dead end, but it may also provide your answer without you having to go to war with a critter or critters who at best are wily and at worst are dangerous. Good luck either way.

After firing the 12 gauge in the general direction of the screaming coyotes, bothering my dogs I have heard nothing more from them, despite hanging a whole chicken on a rope , from a bent over sapling, 4 nights ago they haven't touched it. Maybe, they really are very smart.

Back