1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I never knew those tabs on the side of SAK pull out

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by needler420, Oct 25, 2017.

1. needler420

needler420 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Sadly now that I discovered the tweezers I realize most my saks are missing the tabs with whatever tools were in them. Sucks.
    Carried it for like a year on my keychain and never knew. Next time I buy one at the flea market ill make sure it's complete.

2. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Not all of them have that pin hole, and I don't think any of them did thirty years ago. Here are two Super Tinkers, one with and one without the pinhole.
    [​IMG]

neal70 and cbr1000 like this.
  3. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    IMG_20171026_222012~2.jpg

That's on my only SAK with a corkscrew- a Waiter. It doesn't have a pin in it, and I didn't know it was there until I read this thread.

neal70 likes this.
  4. Jeff_R

Jeff_R

Aug 12, 2015
    You can buy replacement tweezers, toothpicks, scissor springs, corkscrew screwdrivers, etc. for one or two dollars. An online search should turn up many places that sell them. If you have difficulty finding them just send me a PM and I'll give you contact info for a store that sells them.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    neal70 and AlwaysTomboy like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    And the pin as well, because the Vic pin is stainless steel.

neal70 likes this.
  6. Ferahgo

Ferahgo

Mar 6, 2014
    I discovered them instantly. And proceeded to lose them in the first week

neal70 likes this.
  7. seabil

seabil

Apr 8, 2015
    Same here ! Just checked two SAKs with cork screws - one from 80s and one a couples years old - no pin on either one.

8. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks for the pictures, now I see what you are talking about with the pin hole. I re-checked mine and I don’t have it. I can definitely see how that could go unnoticed.

9. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Apologies for not checking up on my post about the pin hole. This is my old Camper, I've had it for years and years, not sure how long but since high school maybe? Anyhow here is my pic with the pin hole.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 9.26.07 AM.png

neal70 likes this.
  10. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    That makes sense. I’ve never owned an Alox, so I wasn’t aware of that.

11. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    This Spartan I bought last year has the pin hole behind the corkscrew. I never would've noticed it before (although I did know about the toothpick and tweezers). ;) :D

[​IMG]

I checked a couple older SAKs that were my dad's (1990s, I would guess) and didn't see the pin hole in either of them. I don't know the models of the top of my head, but one of 'em is this pocket brick. It has a pen hole, but not a pin hole. :)

[​IMG]

neal70 likes this.
  12. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    AlwaysTomboy and neal70 like this.
  13. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    It's always awesome to discover bonus features especially if it's on something you've been using for a while and really like already! Is the pin hole just to store a pin?

14. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Well, what else can you store in there? A sewing needle maybe, I guess. If it's the right length so it sticks out far enough that you can remove it, yet doesn't stick out so far that it snags against the corkscrew. And isn't too thick.

neal70 likes this.
  15. raistlin65

raistlin65

Jan 13, 2014
    How about a firesteel instead?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017
    neal70 likes this.
  16. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I have always replaced the pin in my Swiss champs with a needle. It's sharper, and works better digging out slivers, than a pin. But you have to be careful not to push it to far in, it doesn't have the head to stop it. It is harder to get out, but I find the tweezers work well for that. A needle should work in any model with a corkscrew, that has the pin hole. There won't be room for it on models with the philips screw driver, in that spot. There isn't room for the pins, with little plastic balls for a head, on models with the philips screw driver either.

O.B.

17. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    When the pin disappeared from my old Cybertool 29 I took a sewing needle, clipped the eye off, and bent the end 90° so it wouldn't go all the way in and I'd have something to dig it out with, and to push with without needing a thimble or something. The needle seems stiffer and, as you mentioned, sharper.

18. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I put a little drop of super glue on the shank of the tab on the tweezers and toothpick and let it dry before putting them back in. This makes it so it fits tighter in the hole and won't fall out. Make sure to put just a tiny drop so it will still fit in on. Also make sure it is completely dry before you put it back in.

jackknife likes this.
  19. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Those flat headed pins are surprisingly hard to find.

20. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015