I never knew those tabs on the side of SAK pull out

Sadly now that I discovered the tweezers I realize most my saks are missing the tabs with whatever tools were in them. Sucks.
Carried it for like a year on my keychain and never knew. Next time I buy one at the flea market ill make sure it's complete.

Can someone please post a picture of this “pin hole”. I just pulled out my sak that I think was the first knife I ever had. I opened the cork screw and can’t figure out what you guys are talking about. If there is something on this knife that I didn’t discover as a 10 year old boy, and haven’t discovered in 30 years of owning this knife I’m going to be shocked.
Not all of them have that pin hole, and I don't think any of them did thirty years ago. Here are two Super Tinkers, one with and one without the pinhole.

Can someone please post a picture of this “pin hole”. I just pulled out my sak that I think was the first knife I ever had. I opened the cork screw and can’t figure out what you guys are talking about. If there is something on this knife that I didn’t discover as a 10 year old boy, and haven’t discovered in 30 years of owning this knife I’m going to be shocked.
IMG_20171026_222012~2.jpg

That's on my only SAK with a corkscrew- a Waiter. It doesn't have a pin in it, and I didn't know it was there until I read this thread.

Sadly now that I discovered the tweezers I realize most my saks are missing the tabs with whatever tools were in them. Sucks.
Carried it for like a year on my keychain and never knew. Next time I buy one at the flea market ill make sure it's complete.

You can buy replacement tweezers, toothpicks, scissor springs, corkscrew screwdrivers, etc. for one or two dollars. An online search should turn up many places that sell them. If you have difficulty finding them just send me a PM and I'll give you contact info for a store that sells them.

Last edited:
You can buy replacement tweezers, toothpicks, scissor springs, corkscrew screwdrivers, etc. for one or two dollars. An online search should turn up many places that sell them. If you have difficulty finding them just send me a PM and I'll give you contact info for a store that sells them.
And the pin as well, because the Vic pin is stainless steel.

Same here ! Just checked two SAKs with cork screws - one from 80s and one a couples years old - no pin on either one.

Thanks for the pictures, now I see what you are talking about with the pin hole. I re-checked mine and I don’t have it. I can definitely see how that could go unnoticed.

Apologies for not checking up on my post about the pin hole. This is my old Camper, I've had it for years and years, not sure how long but since high school maybe? Anyhow here is my pic with the pin hole.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 9.26.07 AM.png

Really? Take a few apart and look at the construction. In the Cellidor models, the tools go between the plastic cover and the aluminum scale beneath it. In the Alox model, there is no cover, just the scale (or maybe there is no scale, just the cover. Nomenclature gets a bit murky here). Pretty hard to stow something between two layers of material when you only have one layer.

That makes sense. I’ve never owned an Alox, so I wasn’t aware of that.

This Spartan I bought last year has the pin hole behind the corkscrew. I never would've noticed it before (although I did know about the toothpick and tweezers). ;) :D

pSabIBl.jpg

I checked a couple older SAKs that were my dad's (1990s, I would guess) and didn't see the pin hole in either of them. I don't know the models of the top of my head, but one of 'em is this pocket brick. It has a pen hole, but not a pin hole. :)

MQoMfJG.jpg

It's always awesome to discover bonus features especially if it's on something you've been using for a while and really like already! Is the pin hole just to store a pin?

It's always awesome to discover bonus features especially if it's on something you've been using for a while and really like already! Is the pin hole just to store a pin?

Well, what else can you store in there? A sewing needle maybe, I guess. If it's the right length so it sticks out far enough that you can remove it, yet doesn't stick out so far that it snags against the corkscrew. And isn't too thick.

Well, what else can you store in there? A sewing needle maybe, I guess. If it's the right length so it sticks out far enough that you can remove it, yet doesn't stick out so far that it snags against the corkscrew. And isn't too thick.

I have always replaced the pin in my Swiss champs with a needle. It's sharper, and works better digging out slivers, than a pin. But you have to be careful not to push it to far in, it doesn't have the head to stop it. It is harder to get out, but I find the tweezers work well for that. A needle should work in any model with a corkscrew, that has the pin hole. There won't be room for it on models with the philips screw driver, in that spot. There isn't room for the pins, with little plastic balls for a head, on models with the philips screw driver either.

O.B.

I have always replaced the pin in my Swiss champs with a needle. It's sharper, and works better digging out slivers, than a pin. But you have to be careful not to push it to far in, it doesn't have the head to stop it. It is harder to get out, but I find the tweezers work well for that. A needle should work in any model with a corkscrew, that has the pin hole. There won't be room for it on models with the philips screw driver, in that spot. There isn't room for the pins, with little plastic balls for a head, on models with the philips screw driver either.

O.B.

When the pin disappeared from my old Cybertool 29 I took a sewing needle, clipped the eye off, and bent the end 90° so it wouldn't go all the way in and I'd have something to dig it out with, and to push with without needing a thimble or something. The needle seems stiffer and, as you mentioned, sharper.

I put a little drop of super glue on the shank of the tab on the tweezers and toothpick and let it dry before putting them back in. This makes it so it fits tighter in the hole and won't fall out. Make sure to put just a tiny drop so it will still fit in on. Also make sure it is completely dry before you put it back in.

When the pin disappeared from my old Cybertool 29 I took a sewing needle, clipped the eye off, and bent the end 90° so it wouldn't go all the way in and I'd have something to dig it out with, and to push with without needing a thimble or something. The needle seems stiffer and, as you mentioned, sharper.

Those flat headed pins are surprisingly hard to find.

Back