I noticed a funny thing...

Bob Denman

That OTHER Guy...
Platinum Member
... About my new Griptilian with the Sheepsfoot blade.
The "Spydie-Hole" in this knife just seems to work so much better than any of my actual Spyderco knives...
Is it a simply question of the geometry and ergonomics working better for me?
Has anybody else experienced this?

Good to hear! I’ve really been wanting one of those but I was skeptical and worried that the opposite would be true.

My concern as well...
As I said: it might just be that the "Grip's grip" just fits me a bit better...
If you can get your hands on one for a test flight: it would certainly tell you what you need.
But it certainly seems that Benchmade designed things to work right!
Good luck, and happy shopping!

Last edited:
I always did wonder about the thumb hole on the Griptilian. I have a Mini Skirmish with a thumb hole and it is so chamfered that it's near impossible to open.

Yeah: that one is definitely not in the same clas...

Attachments

• IMG_15112021_110445.jpg
    IMG_15112021_110445.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_04112021_100738.jpg
    IMG_04112021_100738.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_16112021_183619.jpg
    IMG_16112021_183619.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 17
Putting them side by side: I see more similarities than differences. Put that killer-looking Mini Skirmish blade into a Griptilian: you might have a perfect design...

Attachments

• IMG_16112021_203638.jpg
    IMG_16112021_203638.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_16112021_203608.jpg
    IMG_16112021_203608.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 12
Putting them side by side: I see more similarities than differences. Put that killer-looking Mini Skirmish blade into a Griptilian: you might have a perfect design...
No way. Skirmish is on a completely different level.

I realize that the "guts" of each knife could not be more dis-similar. I was referring only to the styling cues.

Last edited:
It’s the axis lock. It makes it seem smoother in function, but I think a Spydie hole is a spydie hole, they all work pretty much the same.
That's my point: this one seems to work better than any of my Spydercos do.
I am wondering if it is just how the knife fits my hand; or if Benchmade's ergonomics make them work better for everyone??

I have pretty small hands, and several sizes of spydercos, and a full sized griptillian. I think the big factor is the fit. Exactly how your hand falls naturally onto the handle as well as where the hole sits, even dexterity and where your grip "feels" strongest is going to be different for a lot of folks. Some of us are going to have a range of motion that means the sweet spot is larger, and some are going to find the uncomfortable edges a bit easier. Between the different spydercos, I've had two different sizes of lockback (native and dragonfly) two different compression locks (Para 3 and Caribbean) and I have had several "axis lock-like" SOGs, but my main comparison to my Grip is a Bugout (thumbstud). So using that venn diagram of what was comfortable, and how the lock interacted with the opening, I think that overall, the fit to the individual is going to determine if your hand falls into the opening sweetspot, but the lock will have a minor effect on how wide that sweetspot is, with the added compromise of easy opening, vs. blade retention. For example, my Native is harder to open than my Grip, but to my hand they are both right in the sweetspot, so its almost imperceptible, but certainly the native is never going to pop open a bit, where while not common with the grip, it's been documented.

... About my new Griptilian with the Sheepsfoot blade.
The "Spydie-Hole" in this knife just seems to work so much better than any of my actual Spyderco knives...
Is it a simply question of the geometry and ergonomics working better for me?
Has anybody else experienced this?
Yes, and Benchmade used to also have the Bone Collector, a great hard use blade. Benchmade used to rock it with the spydie hole.

U5cHUbE.jpg

1PWwPfG.jpg

Got a line on one: just need to figure out the money part of the deal...

the only benchmades i have with holes in the blades are an 808 & a 10750. the 808 with the oval hole is awesome, is super overbuilt. the 10750 is sweet too, one of my favorite liner locks

the only benchmades i have with holes in the blades are an 808 & a 10750. the 808 with the oval hole is awesome, is super overbuilt. the 10750 is sweet too, one of my favorite liner locks
I forgot about the Loco!!!! Always been on my list. Just never pulled the trigger.

Back