I really want to like CS's new Arkansas Toothpick, but...

So, the Cold Steel Arkansas Toothpick is a new model for 2021. Although I don't believe any have been released yet, I have looked real hard at their website's pics of them. I really want to like it, but... I think they screwed the pooch on one thing, that being the motifs done on the sheath's chape and throat, and on the handles pommel.
These are being made in Taiwan, where usually it's India, (most likely by Windlass Steelcrafts), that something of this genre is done for them. The steel is of 1055 carbon, so that will be in the same range of steel that CS uses for these types of designs, so no change there. As for how the blade is made, being done in Taiwan, it is most certainly made using modern cnc machinery, and the blade likely is done using the stock removal method, (where as the India produced CS blade would have started out as a hand forged blade that then gets sent to grinders for final shaping and such). As for the execution of fit and finish, the Taiwan product's outcome will be the more precise and consistent, (again, state of the art equipment being the big difference for that).
Okay, so, why am I having a hard time considering an order placement for the new CS Arkansas Toothpick?...
Well, it's those motifs I mentioned above. They seem so "mickey mouse" in their style. To me, they look like they were done by a kindergarten child. I really can't fully explain it, but the closest thing I can compare that motif design/artwork to, is that it looks like the type used on very inexpensive stainless steel wall hanger type knives and swords often found on the tables of flea market vendors. In other words, on something that would have a price tag of about $19.95.
It all seems pretty darn neat, and seemingly to be of a very respectable quality... but then my eyes are drawn to those motifs, especially the Crocodile/or Alligator figure, and I say to myself... "What were they thinking!". If indeed that is a Crocodile or Alligator that it's supposed to represent, boy did they really do poorly on it.
Anyhow, the way the motifs were executed on the chape, throat, and pommel, makes it all somehow look "cheap" to me.
Too bad, because if this had been done with some good styling, I think it would be a winner, (and I would not hesitate to purchase it).

Last edited:
So, the Cold Steel Arkansas Toothpick is a new model for 2021. Although I don't believe any have been released yet, I have looked real hard at their website's pics of them. I really want to like it, but... I think they screwed the pooch on one thing, that being the motifs done on the sheath's chape and throat, and on the handles pommel.
These are being made in Taiwan, where usually it's India, (most likely by Windlass Steelcrafts), that something of this genre is done for them. The steel is of 1055 carbon, so that will be in the same range of steel that CS uses for these types of designs, so no change there. As for how the blade is made, being done in Taiwan, it is most certainly made using modern cnc machinery, and the blade likely is done using the stock removal method, (where as the India produced CS blade would have started out as a hand forged blade that then gets sent to grinders for final shaping and such). As for the execution of fit and finish, the Taiwan product's outcome will be the more precise and consistent, (again, state of the art equipment being the big difference for that).
Okay, so, why am I having a hard time considering an order placement for the new CS Arkansas Toothpick?...
Well, it's those motifs I mentioned above. They seem so "mickey mouse" in their style. To me, they look like they were done by a kindergarten child. I really can't fully explain it, but the closest thing I can compare that motif design/artwork to, is that it looks like the type used on very inexpensive stainless steel wall hanger type knives and swords often found on the tables of flea market vendors. In other words, on something that would have a price tag of about $19.95.
It all seems pretty darn neat, and seemingly to be of a very respectable quality... but then my eyes are drawn to those motifs, especially the Crocodile/or Alligator figure, and I say to myself... "What were they thinking!". If indeed that is a Crocodile or Alligator that it's supposed to represent, boy did they really do poorly on it.
Anyhow, the way the motifs were executed on the chape, throat, and pommel, makes it all somehow look "cheap" to me.
Too bad, because if this had been done with some good styling, I think it would be a winner, (and I would not hesitate to purchase it).

I think for me the pommel design and the balls on the quillons make it look too medieval. And while their description says that most were very fancy, most of the pics I can find seem more plain. A more simple guard and a coffin handle and I would probably get one. Even better, they could have made it a twin of the Laredo Bowie for a matching set!

I think for me the pommel design and the balls on the quillons make it look too medieval. And while their description says that most were very fancy, most of the pics I can find seem more plain. A more simple guard and a coffin handle and I would probably get one. Even better, they could have made it a twin of the Laredo Bowie for a matching set!

I concur that it does have a bit too much of a medieval appearance for it's 'Arkansas Toothpick' title.

But, I will admit, if it had the better executed motifs, I'd would still have bitten on ordering one.

In the end, although it will likely prove to be a decently made product, they may have simply missed the mark on their aim to style it in a 'Arkansas Toothpick' manner.

Well If had to wrestle one or the other I think I'd pick the gator.

Back to the knife It sure looks like something that would have come from United Cutlery vs. the more blue collar offerings from past Cold Steel.
id choose neither.

on the knife sheath.....that thing looks like a platypus to me not an alligator. maybe a little bit like a lizard my cat catches and removes its tail.

Makes me wonder if they did not pull that artwork from a historical example? You will often find old animal motifs that don't really accurately represent the animal being depicted.

Well If had to wrestle one or the other I think I'd pick the gator.

Back to the knife It sure looks like something that would have come from United Cutlery vs. the more blue collar offerings from past Cold Steel.

On the United Cutlery comparison... Yes, I think you hit the nail right on the head with that!

I really can't wrap my head around them okay'ing the "artwork".
I mean, yes, it can easily be argued that the knife and sheath themselves do in fact have, (as another member here stated), more medieval traits than large Arkansas Toothpick styling... But, with that said, imo the picture still seems to show an attractive knife.
How do you go on to then okay that totally wrong for any era depiction of whatever that thing is on there!?
A half horse/half alligator in good detail would have been a better idea, but even if just an alligator, okay, it will do... But, make it look like that's what it is. Maybe a tail? That would have helped! Again, I just can't wrap my head around this new product receiving such poor thought and execution of the one thing that would have somehow tied this specimen to the title of Arkansas Toothpick.
What makes it even more sad, this was obviously a project that got it's legs, (pardon the pun), during the 2020 calendar year, a time that Lynn Thompson was still at the helm until the end of that year. So, this seems not a case of dropping the ball by GSM's Cold Steel, but rather a dropping of the ball by Lynn Thompson's Cold Steel.
A new product, and it gets this comical caricature of an alligator placed upon the pommel and sheath! What a very avoidable mistake on Cold Steel' part.... SMH

Maybe GSM will have people in their Cold Steel division realize that it's a big enough issue to make a future change on them, but my guess is that it will simply be discontinued after it's first year of being offered, (if it does not do well in sales, which is a very possible situation). One of the two vendors I usually go to for CS products, has these for backorder at $175.99. So, although it has that touch of flea market knife look, it's not selling at that price level. I could see inventories of these towards the end of this year being sold off at clearance prices to put it behind them, lol!

Last edited:
Back