I see very little mention

I have seen almost no mention of the Gerber multi tool line on the forum. I have used Gerber Diesel tools for many many years in real world life and death type scenarios many times and I have never had one fail me. I notice that most here seem to be leatherman fans and I guess they have their place but in my humble opinion why use the second string when life is playing it’s A game. I have Gerber multi tools in every one of my kits on my rifle drag bag, I keep one in my truck and I would consider it an absolutely essential piece of gear. So just out of curiosity why doesn’t it seem to be a favorite among those here?

I have Gerber tools, and I like them. I also have several Vics and SOGs. The lion's share are Leatherman brand. It's really not due to fanboyism. I just find the LM tools to generally be built better in terms of fit and finish.

Now I'm not one who has ever pressed his tool into full service in life and death situations. However, I am a professional contractor. I use my MT at least 5 times a day. I do have a tool box full of the "right" tools, but many of my jobs can be handled by the MT without walking back to my truck.

For me, the butterflying handles of the LM ST300 feel more robust and with less rattle and flex. It offers me a greater tool set to cover my needs. I find the polish on the steel tends to attract less surface rust in the wet environments I work in. I like the metal locks on the tool over the plastic sliders on the Gerber tools.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, i don't like the Gerber blade shape.

Gerbers are fine tools, but I find the LM line fits my needs better.

I have used them all and while I have issues with them all I have the least with a Leatherman myself. It doesn't help my opinion that every Gerber knife I have owned has been 100% junk and broke so easy it wasn't worth what I paid.

Why ?
Because I love my Leatherman fuse, and because Gerber didn't make my Micra or PS4 squirt.

Gerber is just no match for Leatherman in the mini multitool world, all they offer is worthless Chinese garbage that I'll never waste my money on ever again.

I love their American made stuff , if they made something like the Gerber vise in their Portland factory and kept it simple in design ( the vise is ugly ) I'd but one.

Some things Gerber makes are pretty good. Some are not. It depends. I have some non multi tool items that have done well and have great design. Perhaps it is like that with their multi tools?

I have the original Gerber multi-tool that I purchased around 1990. Didn't really use it much and I have found a couple other Gerbers since then. My choice for a full sized multi-tool (pliers based) is a Victorinox with the SOG Powerlock running a close second. I am a big fan of the Leatherman Ps4 Squirt and have one of the Style pocket tools when I want to be bladeless. I carry the Leatherman's every day and use them, but seldom use a larger multi-tool. I have at least one in my field bag if I need to grab it.

I have no hard facts to back up my apparent bias against Gerber. I feel the others mentioned are "better".

Gerber has left a bad taste in my mouth because of their knives, so I've yet to try their multi tools. Plus Leatherman and Victorinox make such good ones that I just haven't made an attempt to grab one.

A lot of the reason is that the lower end gerber's sour everyone who uses one to the upper end ones. The MP series tools are great. They have had their problems like any other company, but I think that most people equate gerber with cheap, and just don't want to get into the high end. LM has really good tools in the lower price category (I'm not a fan of the wingman series tools, but they fill a market) but a Rebar, or the Pulse before it were really good, small, budget tools. It makes it really hard to evaluate them. Vic will always win if cost is no contest, and SOG do well enough if you get the right one and take time to tune it, but for off the walmart shelf, LM has the better tools and a wider set of tools. I mean, Gerber had replaceable saw blades and wire cutters first if I'm not mistaken.
Another big factor is that I am willing to recommend a leatherman on warranty alone, where as I'm not as sure of the gerber's no real reason, its just not what I know them for.

Plier Multitools from
Gerber, Leatheman,
SOG or Victorinox
have functions which work similarly.
All thanks to Tim Leatherman's brain child.
If I am not mistaken
Gerber was the first to reject Tim
and then did a sneeky u-turn with their version.
So it could be that folks in the know would rather
place their trust with the originator's product range.
But honestly, not all pliertools are built equally.
Besides design features;
a consumer would be vastly concerns with product quality,
after sales service and affordability.
Just maybe too much has been directed at Gerber
as a whole, perhaps that may be the root of the matter
regarding popularity rather than functional tool merit?

I remember when the Gerber came out with the pliers that slide out instead of having to open the two halfs like the original Leatherman. I thought those pliers were a game changer.

Gerber has made some great heavy duty multi tools. They used to be known for producing quality products. I personally prefer leatherman's pstII and wave in that order.

Gerber is just no match for Leatherman
This pretty much addresses the question. Change “Leatherman” to “Swiss-tool” and the contrast is even more stark.

I’ve had five Gerber multitools. My first was their first - a poor copy of the original Leatherman PST. Crooked and more awkward to handle with those crappy rounded wings on the handle. My second - and best - was an original Multiplier. Halfway decent tool; but the design gave it issues opening and closing, to include a tendency to pinch. That was a shame...I actually liked that one.

My third and fourth were Gerber minitools. I didn’t even bother giving those away....they went into the trash - they were not even up to the level of the US-made Swiss-tech keychain pliers.

My last was included in a NSN-numbered Otis cleaning kit. It was Gerber’s shadow facsimile of the Leatherman Mut, and a ridiculous joke compared to the Multitasker.

I’m sure they “serve” their masters adequately. But that wasn't the question that was asked.

I remember when the Gerber came out with the pliers that slide out instead of having to open the two halfs like the original Leatherman. I thought those pliers were a game changer.
The original was definitely nice, with a couple of notable “new design growing pains”.

Leatherman has one of those now, so it’s kind of OBE.

This pretty much addresses the question.
As far as the little keychain sized ones yes, I'd say if you like one of the little Gerber's you just haven't had one of Leatherman offerings.

As far as the full sized tools goes I say with the US made examples it's just a matter of preference.

As far as the little keychain sized ones yes, I'd say if you like one of the little Gerber's you just haven't had one of Leatherman offerings.

As far as the full sized tools goes I say with the US made examples it's just a matter of preference.
I can agree with that. The original multiplier was nice.

But the most recent one? Apparently an ISSUE one?

Not sure where it was made; but I can guess. What a complete piece of crap.....

I've wanted to like them. And as such, spent way too much money on them in the past. But compared to Leatherman, simply sub-par dollar for dollar. And in a couple instances, compared only to "All-a-Dollar" multi-tools. Not good.

I had the one with regular pliers and the out the front needle nose pliers. I used them a lot and when they broke, I never considered sending them back like I have with my Leatherman multi-tools. They just seemed disposeable to me unlike the Leatherman.

I'm carrying a Gerber basic 600 on vacation this week. It's not because I chose it. I went off and forgot my Rebar at the house:mad:. However, I keep the 600 as a back up in my little hiking pack I brought, so if i need a pliers based tool this week the Gerber will have to do.

My first multi-tool was a Gerber 600 when I was a teenager. At the time I was very pleased with it as I did not have anything to compare it too. Fast forward a few years and I got my first Leatherman. The original Wave to be specific. For my needs it worked much better than the 600. The screw drivers on the non-interchangeable model Leathermans have better reach than Gerber. I found most of Gerbers tools to be brittle. I easily shattered two replaceable cutters. I have had plier heads and tools break on two different MP600s and two different Diesels. I also had the plier head of the forgotten Freehand tool break. That one was really disappointing since it was Gerbers XL multitool entry. After multiple failures from Gerber I got rid of all their tools and switched to all Leatherman. I mostly carry the Wave+ now, but the Super Tool 300 is often carried too. I have been in the same line of work for almost 20 years, so both brands have been subjected to the same hardships. Leatherman has never failed me yet. That's just my personal experience and the reason I love Leatherman far better than Gerber. Your mileage may very.

Last edited:
Gerber USED to make pretty good gear. USED to. But I have carried a Gerber multi tool for many years on the job and it works fine as long as you realize it's a light duty tool. It's not a hammer or a crowbar. If you need heavy duty tools then you just gotta walk back to the truck.

Reactions: MTB
Back