I should of listen to Karda

Hey guys and gals... Well I guess I should of listened to Karda. I ordered another companies kukri a few months ago and received it a couple weeks ago. I wanted a lighter, fighting style kukri and their Goorkhali looked to fit the bill. I received the kukri and its was pretty good. The blade itself had a nice hollow ground and handle was nice. The sheath appeared nice but after further inspection I found card board and old wet newspaper inside the sheath to keep the kukri held tighter. I can look beyond that I guess.

What really got my blood boiling and what caused me to write this post was the "chap" himself. I was on the "forum" if you want to call it that and someone had asked the question "HI or Tora". I had made some comments in response sighting the differences and the attributes of each one. I state that the instructor in Bando uses an HI WWII and recommends it. I even explained on of the blocking techniques used in Bando.

Well.. that must of pissed of the poor ole chap because he started to berate and belittle me. He said that Bando was rubbish because then don't use Gurkha techniques. I replied to him saying that I didn't care how the gurkha's used them I was more concerned with any information on their use and application. I don't think he appreciated it because he deleted every post I made explaining my points. I explained that styles and techniques change through the years and new things are learned, styles change and adapt and we must adapt as well. He wasn't hearing it, he went on to say how dumb Americans are and how HI is misinforming them on their uses. Misinforming them on their uses? WTF was he talking about. Use them how you see fit, who the hell cares how they used them 200 years ago.

It took me a little while to realize what jerk he was I guess. I bought into his "historical" garbage and for that I am ashamed of myself. I even quoted Bruce Lee many times to try and explain my point. He is a Sensei and I thought he might take something from them. I used quotes like...

"Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."

"Obey the principles without being bound by them."

"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."

I was trying to illustrate my point about being flexible in ones style and adapting to the situation. He wasn't having it, all he said was... The gorka's didn't use them like than over and over again. Like that make a difference to me! Plus I dont think the gurkhas put their techniques in writing for people to follow. They used what worked at the time.
I buy kukris for their beauty, I buy kukris for the use, I buy kukris because I have a passion for them. I don't appreciate being called a "dumb American" in so many words because I look for knowledge outside the small scope of how the "Gurkhas used them".
I even made a nice example that even the "chap" could understand. I starting talking about the Revolutionary war and how the Americans defeated the British because they were so stringent in the form. They would stand row by row getting shot and not even try to get out of the way. The American guerilla warfare put and end to that style of British fighting just like modern fighting techniques with the kukri and surpass the old ways. He still couldn't seem to understand what I was saying. I don't know if he didn't understand what I was saying or he just could bring himself to except someone else's views and ideas.

I feel like a fool defending his stance in the past. I feel like a fool for buying one of his products and contributing to the madness. A kukri can be anything you want it to be, it doesn't need to be used in a historic manner. The kukri can and should be use for anything and everything under the sun. I think the other forum is more of a ego booster for the "chap". I think its more about him than it is about the kukris. I can forgive some cardboard in the sheath, I can forgive a slightly dull edge, I can forgive a scratched blade, but what I can not forgive is being belittled for having a different opinion. I also cannot forgive censorship, all of my opinions, all of my quotes trying to illustrate my point were erased. He wont get another dime from me.

Last edited:
As I said in another post. "Adults - I mean grown and mature" do not need to agree on anything, but they must be able to respect each others opinions, stances on issues, and beliefs. Not everyone is going agree on the same issues, nor is it polite to impose ones morals, and beliefs, on another.

I know the guy you speak of. I've seen him on several other blade sites, even a martial arts site insulting everyone. All of his posts are insults and he suffers from delusions of grandeur caused by his supposed knowledge. I'd wager he has narcissistic personality disorder.

I don't know him and perhaps that's best. I think your newspaper is getting dried out.
Why don't you get video of you tossing the package off a bridge? Pain reinforces learning and helps prevent us from repeating the same mistakes over and over again unless your into pain and enjoy punishment.
The 20 or 30 dollars loss (surely you didn't pay more than that for a KLO) will only hurt a little and the video will be priceless. Keep it for yourself, don't post it publicly, that would be uncivilized.

Dang, that's crazy! I don't think I can add anything except; If you want to talk M/A's and Khukri's please feel free to talk about them here in this forum. Seriously, I'd love to hear more M/A talk here.

Boy you guys sometimes make me feel really really dumb. What's a M/A? Sound it out bawanna.

Mother, media, majestic, moldy, melody, mein gott, nothing to do with knives is clicking here................

I know how you feel.

When I was younger I did alot of traditional martial arts of this particular Asian nationality.

After dealing with years of the arrogance, delusions of grandeur, snide talk about how other martial arts suck and are inferior, and just how inherently superior and great their nationality and martial arts were, I had enough.

It was suffocating, and these guys were insufferable. So I had my rebellious streak and eventually I became persona non grata at the dojo because I just stopped drinking the koolaid.

Sure, these guys are black belts and can kick my ass hand to hand or with a sword, but I'm a freaking surgeon with the shotgun now, American style, yeah!

Boy you guys sometimes make me feel really really dumb. What's a M/A? Sound it out bawanna.

Mother, media, majestic, moldy, melody, mein gott, nothing to do with knives is clicking here................

Joe, M/A is sometimes short for Martial Arts. Sorry for not making that clear earlier. :foot:

I don't know him and perhaps that's best. I think your newspaper is getting dried out.
Why don't you get video of you tossing the package off a bridge? Pain reinforces learning and helps prevent us from repeating the same mistakes over and over again unless your into pain and enjoy punishment.
The 20 or 30 dollars loss (surely you didn't pay more than that for a KLO) will only hurt a little and the video will be priceless. Keep it for yourself, don't post it publicly, that would be uncivilized.

He spent WAAY more than $30 on it.

I'm glad you found out for yourself. I bought a couple myself and while they weren't bad blades I hate giving my money to someone who behaves like that. I'm done with them.

Boy now I feel even stoopider. M/A Martial Arts. That fits, why didn't I think of that? Duh.......................................

I'm gonna go sit in the corner with a pointed hat on my head. People will probably figure I'm a witch. Don't need a broom, got the chair.

M/A? Who knew. I'll probably come back as a door mat in my next life. I'm qualified for that barely.

LOL Bawanna 20 or 30 bucks ahahah.... You rock! It actually cost me a pretty penny, more than my HI WWII I think I paid $225 which included shipping. The problem wasn't with the kukri which was pretty nice btw. 18in and 13 oz is pretty respectable. I could accept the sheath being filled with newspaper and cardboard to keep the blade more secure... I can fix that myself

What I cant accept is a business owner insulting his customers with arrogance and double talk. I tried to make a point about Bando blocking technique. I had said a hollow forged 13oz kukri would turn into a crumpled up piece of steel if it was struck by a baseball bat using a specific Bando technique. He then tried to twist my words and called Bando rubbish and the Dr. how invented it a fool. He then went on to insult "Americans" who are taking kukris in the wrong direction. Im sorry but I can handle a 32oz kukri just fine. A 110lbs gurkha might have an issue with a big 30oz kukri but this 295lbs yank can handle it just fine. I also tried to explain good old Albert formula Mass X Velocity = energy. I don't need to swing my kukri as fast to get the same damage as a paper weight kukri, again he tried to twist my words. He starting saying a gurkha couldn't handle a 900gram (what ever the hell 900gr is lol), well I would agree with that but I was referring to modern American sized men which have no problems with larger kukris. Heck I've even see people surfing with big kukris ahhahahaah.

He tried to turn my words around to prove his opinion, but everything he said was just double talk garbage. He is a kukri Nazi who cant stand other people opinions. He is a sensei and I thought he would take all knowledge into consideration. I am sure the Bando federation brings in a lot more money than his "dojo". He will NEVER get my hard earned money again!

he's banned here, so it's a moot point. he's a good source for historical info. all of which, not only from him, should be taken with a grain of salt. i'm not overly fond of his newest offerings as far as khukuris.

anyway, one correction, standing in tight line formations and shooting at each other from 50yds with smoothbores followed by bayonets was the world standard well into the 1860's and still used during the american civil war by both sides.

what ended it was the rifle with it's longer range, and the minie ball. they continued out of sheer stubbornness until the multi-shot cartridge breech loader came into general use. even a rifled musket muzzle loader required you to stand up to load it quickly. breech loaders allowed you to lie prone to present a smaller target AND fire more accurately at you advancing opponent. the brits sorta stopped using tight lines and volley fire after getting creamed by zulus in the late 1800's, and definitely after the boers were picking them off at 1000 yards with their smokeless mauser bolt actions and maxims in the boer wars.

the minute men and militia using kaintucky long rifles annoyed the heck out of the brits and were good for morale and sound good in history books, but it was the continental regulars holding fast in tight formations out-britishing the brits and the hessian mecenaries that won the battles that won the war. the frogs helped too.

i drove past the yorktown battle site every day for three months going to class at the USCG base , and spent a lot of time crawling over it, and then 3 years at new orleans where i visited the battle sites there, the brits in their lines lost badly to barricaded markmen, regulars, indians, frontiersman, blacks and pirates as well as some frogs. sadly the war of 1812 was already over when it happened. did wonders for our morale tho. & made the brits respect us a lot more.

Last edited:
he's banned here, so it's a moot point. he's a good source for historical info. all of which, not only from him, should be taken with a grain of salt.

anyway, one correction, standing in tight line formations and shooting at each other from 50yds with smoothbores followed by bayonets was the world standard well into the 1860's and still used during the american civil war by both sides.

what ended it was the rifle with it's longer range, and the minie ball. they continued out of sheer stubbornness until the multi-shot cartridge breech loader came into general use. even a rifled musket muzzle loader required you to stand up to load it quickly. breech loaders allowed you to lie prone to present a smaller target AND fire more accurately at you advancing opponent. the brits sorta stopped using tight lines and volley fire after getting creamed by zulus in the late 1800's, and definitely after the boers were picking them off at 1000 yards with their smokeless mauser bolt actions and maxims in the boer wars.

the minute men and militia using kaintucky long rifles annoyed the heck out of the brits and were good for morale and sound good in history books, but it was the continental regulars holding fast in tight formations out-britishing the brits and the hessian mecenaries that won the battles that won the war. the frogs helped too.

Thanks for the info, I own a few muzzleloaders but hate cleaning them. I guess I might of been confused because I remember reading about the Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle. It was used in a "sniper" style and was used against the British at distances up to 250yards in the 1788 Boonesborough battle. It was a well documented and I also remember reading about the Minutemen using Guerilla Warfare style tactic against the well trained British Army. I also remember seeing a reading about many instances of the British just standing there taking lead... They didn't know what to do with those damn Americans that didn't "follow the rules of war". I guess that's were I got my idea and statement from but thanks for the info.

Oh..BTW I am a Frog hahahaahh. Third gen American but good old great grandpa was from Normande

Last edited:
225 bucks! Ok don't throw it off a bridge but don't keep it in the same room with the good stuff. Might be bad ju ju.

Probably why I don't do M/A stuff. (That's martial arts for you nimrods). Also don't have much use for firearms instructors. Seems their heads always get too durn big for their hats and that turns me off big time.

For new shooters you need to bend down and stay on their level. Don't toot your own horn and how smart you are.
One case of where it's all about them and not the instructor.

Ok my soap box is getting tippy, I'm crawling down before I hurt myself and become a derelict.

Oh... I forgot to tell you that I love your Latin signature... CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS.

Latin is such a beautiful language and I am sad to see its passing. There is a certain elegance to its sentence structure. I have a ring on my finger right now with the phrase "CRUDELUS EST QUAM MORI SEMPER TIMERE MORTEM".

It is a phrase I take great meaning from. We all take this life way to seriously. Our lives should be treated like dreams, once death comes we awaken from that dream and enter a new reality. "It is more cruel to always fear death than to die."

225 bucks! Ok don't throw it off a bridge but don't keep it in the same room with the good stuff. Might be bad ju ju.

Probably why I don't do M/A stuff. (That's martial arts for you nimrods). Also don't have much use for firearms instructors. Seems their heads always get too durn big for their hats and that turns me off big time.

For new shooters you need to bend down and stay on their level. Don't toot your own horn and how smart you are.
One case of where it's all about them and not the instructor.

Ok my soap box is getting tippy, I'm crawling down before I hurt myself and become a derelict.

I feel the exact same way about handgun instructors... My first one was great, I can still remember him. I was 10 or 11 years old, he sat me down and explained the ins and outs of the semi auto .22lr I was about to fire for the first time. He took his time and taught me about front sight focus and trigger control. He made me repeat the phrase "front sight, front sight, front sight, over and over again until it was drilled into my head. It wasn't about him, it was about teaching me the right way. He didn't bring his ego to the table even though he was the Army pistol team coach for almost a decade. He was only concerned with me.

I have been through numerous handgun courses since then. I find it harder and harder to find a genuine instructor. What I usually get is a range Nazi who needs and ego boost. I will never forget my first instructor, he taught me the basics cause he cared.

Last edited:
I'm not a kukri guy so I may be way out of the norm, and I honestly don't mean to insult anyone or anything, but it blows my mind that someone would be ok with a sheath held together by cardboard and wet newspapers.

Thanks for the info, I own a few muzzleloaders but hate cleaning them. I guess I might of been confused because I remember reading about the Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle. It was used in a "sniper" style and was used against the British at distances up to 250yards in the 1788 Boonesborough battle. It was a well documented and I also remember reading about the Minutemen using Guerilla Warfare style tactic against the well trained British Army. I also remember seeing a reading about many instances of the British just standing there taking lead... They didn't know what to do with those damn Americans that didn't "follow the rules of war". I guess that's were I got my idea and statement from but thanks for the info.

the Boonesborough siege of 1778, yes, the kentucky marksman picked them off at longer ranges as they attacked their fort. attacking fortified positions with lines of unsupported infantry then, as now, is suicidal. (see also the ref. to new orleans i added). the zulus even knew that. their king told his generals to never attack the brits in fortified positions. they slaughtered the brits in the open field of isladlwana, and were in turn slaughtered by a few hundred brits in the hastily fortified mission at rourke's drift when the king's brother ignored his orders. most zulus at rourke's drift were killed at 300-600 yds by martini-henrys from behind barricades. the hand to hand shown in michael caine's movie was largely fiction. the brits won that war, as well as the boer war by out manufacturing the zulu/boers, outnumbering them in the end and out nastying them. the brits were not in fact very honourable. they invented the concentration camp, put the boer women and children in them and systematically starved thousands of them them to death until the boer guerillas surrendered.

p.s. - i didn't meanto imply the sniping by rebels was ineffective, it was, it just wasn't a major battle winner in the traditional sense.

p.p.s. - the movie 'zulu' was on this afternoon here, i recorded it and am watching it now :) i've only seen it a few hundred times. i've got my iklwa and iwisa by my side. justincase.

I'm not a kukri guy so I may be way out of the norm, and I honestly don't mean to insult anyone or anything, but it blows my mind that someone would be ok with a sheath held together by cardboard and wet newspapers.

FYI.. It wasn't hell together with cardboard and newspaper. It had a shim made of cardboard to press it up against the inside of the sheath. The newspaper was at the bottom and mouth to stop it from moving back a forth. I know that is unacceptable for a $225 kukri. It didn't bother because I was able to remove the shim and paper with long tweezers. It took a half an hour or so to get all the little pieces out. I let it go because the kukri itself was pretty nice and well made. Oh I forgot to mention the frog on the sheath was almost multi colored. They didn't let the dye stay on the frog long enough and wiped it down. The frog looked "moldy" at first from the discoloration but after further inspection it was found to be a very bad dye job.

The only reason I said I was "ok" with the sheath was to illustrate that I am by no means a "picky" person. Some people go nuts over a scratch of a torn piece of leather. I find it kind of fun to do small repairs like that. I didn't want to appear like a was bad mouthing him for no reason, hence my "im ok with it" comment. I totally agree with you though...there shouldn't be any cardboard or newspaper in a new sheath.

Back