I should of listen to Karda

the Boonesborough siege of 1778, yes, the kentucky marksman picked them off at longer ranges as they attacked their fort. attacking fortified positions with lines of unsupported infantry then, as now, is suicidal. (see also the ref. to new orleans i added). the zulus even knew that. their king told his generals to never attack the brits in fortified positions. they slaughtered the brits in the open field of isladlwana, and were in turn slaughtered by a few hundred brits in the hastily fortified mission at rourke's drift when the king's brother ignored his orders. most zulus at rourke's drift were killed at 300-600 yds by martini-henrys from behind barricades. the hand to hand shown in michael caine's movie was largely fiction. the brits won that war, as well as the boer war by out manufacturing the zulu/boers, outnumbering them in the end and out nastying them. the brits were not in fact very honourable. they invented the concentration camp, put the boer women and children in them and systematically starved thousands of them them to death until the boer guerillas surrendered.

p.s. - i didn't meanto imply the sniping by rebels was ineffective, it was, it just wasn't a major battle winner in the traditional sense.

p.p.s. - the movie 'zulu' was on this afternoon here, i recorded it and am watching it now :) i've only seen it a few hundred times. i've got my iklwa and iwisa by my side. justincase.

FYI.. I friggin LOVEEEEEEEEE the movie Zulu and Zulu Dawn. I remember watching them as a kid and wanting a martini-henrys so bad after that. I love when the Zulu's starting singing to the brits as a sign of respect for such an epic battle. The Zulu's were the true gentlemen in that instance.

FYI.. I friggin LOVEEEEEEEEE the movie Zulu and Zulu Dawn. I remember watching them as a kid and wanting a martini-henrys so bad after that. I love when the Zulu's starting singing to the brits as a sign of respect for such an epic battle. The Zulu's were the true gentlemen in that instance.

gladiator: opening battle scene, germans chanting. chanting is zulu warrior chants from the movie ZULU. ridley scott must also love the movie :)

my iklwa:

my iwisa: (one of 4)

...and remember,

"The sun will never set on the British Empire – God does not trust the English in the dark" – Anon

"Dieu n’est pas pour les gros bataillons, mais pour ceux qui tirent le mieux" ("God is not on the side of the big battalions, but of the best shots") – Voltaire

Last edited:
I'm not a kukri guy so I may be way out of the norm, and I honestly don't mean to insult anyone or anything, but it blows my mind that someone would be ok with a sheath held together by cardboard and wet newspapers.

While this is kind of kicking the poor guy while he's down (poor guy) it should be sufficient to replace tossing the package off the bridge as a painful reminder of the error of his ways.

Thanks for the little kick that will remind Mr. gurka for the long forseen future that not all KLO's (kuhkri like objects) are created equal.

For the record I'm not terribly picky neither, like a little project from time to time. Course don't have many projects now that I'm an HI devotee.

I have two of "that guy's" khuks, both gotten in a trade from the original purchaser ( i wanted to experience that company's khuks and refuse to give the owner my money). They're nice shapes, and definately martial khuks, but both required enormous amounts of work-which as a maker wasn't a big hassle, but if I had bought them with $$ and was not in a position to fix them I woulda blown a valve. One was twisted enough that it wouldn't cut very well until fixed, and the other I had to clamp a couple blocks in front of the bolster as a heat sink and reharden and retemper it. Boggles my mind that the "i'm a jerk with a big mouth, my QC is nonexistant but it looks good" business model works for him.
G.B., at least you like the thing. I'm always game for a chat about interpersonal crisis management with khuks lol

gladiator: opening battle scene, germans chanting. chanting is zulu warrior chants from the movie ZULU. ridley scott must also love the movie :)

my iklwa:

...and remember,

"The sun will never set on the British Empire – God does not trust the English in the dark" – Anon

"Dieu n’est pas pour les gros bataillons, mais pour ceux qui tirent le mieux" ("God is not on the side of the big battalions, but of the best shots") – Voltaire

I just gotta know. Is the Iwisa just what it looks like? A whacker. Nice club with a ball on the end. Serve any other purpose?

I have two of "that guy's" khuks, both gotten in a trade from the original purchaser ( i wanted to experience that company's khuks and refuse to give the owner my money). They're nice shapes, and definately martial khuks, but both required enormous amounts of work-which as a maker wasn't a big hassle, but if I had bought them with $$ and was not in a position to fix them I woulda blown a valve. One was twisted enough that it wouldn't cut very well until fixed, and the other I had to clamp a couple blocks in front of the bolster as a heat sink and reharden and retemper it. Boggles my mind that the "i'm a jerk with a big mouth, my QC is nonexistant but it looks good" business model works for him.
G.B., at least you like the thing. I'm always game for a chat about interpersonal crisis management with khuks lol

I've personally owned more than 30 HI kukris and none have ever had any major issues with QC like that. I've beat pretty hard on more than a couple of them too.

He is a banned member, so let's not dog pile too much here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan on his and have lost my cool with him before. However, in the spirit of Uncle Bill, let's just let it go. He can't defend himself...Although he would probably end up banned if left with a sufficient amount of rope to hang himself...it's happened before.

At any rate, long story short: HI rocks, we are so glad to have you here on board with us, and I think it's time to go chop something up:)

Now where are those pictures of me splitting wood with a Khukri when I need them?

I just gotta know. Is the Iwisa just what it looks like? A whacker. Nice club with a ball on the end. Serve any other purpose?

the iwisa, a.k.a. 'knobkerry', is effectively a wooden mace. you could hold it about 2/3 down from the ball, with the protruding pommel end against your forearm to protect it from strikes by your opponent, and club him with the ball end.

they were also carried by the zulu officers as badges of rank. the smaller headed ones were for the generals who used them like a swagger stick to signal, and who did not expect to actually have to kill someone with it. again, like a swagger stick, could be used to 'discipline' a disobedient underling.

the balls vary from about an inch and a half up to 4-5 inches in diameter. the larger ones for the troops. i'd guess the middle sized ones, 2-3 inches were for the average zulu trooper,m the larger for their bigger guys.

the zulu empire contained a large number of conquered subsidiary tribes that paid tribute in weapons to equip the zulu regiments, which were a professional standing army that did nothing else. the weapons tribute of iwisa could thus vary considerably in size, both length and diameter. the best ones had the braided wire bands just below the head and along the haft and at the pommel. some had cord windings in lieue, some no bandings. ditto on the assegai (iklwa) the normal 'trooper' model varied in length, tho were all less than 40 inches overall. the head were always tanged, not socketed ,and were burnt into the end of the haft with very little tang showing, then glued and a leather binding consisting of a leather tube cut from a cows tail was soaked , applied then dried to shrink & bind the join. the best ones had a braided binding of bands of nickel steel wire and brass wire, like mine. my iklwa appears to have had two smaller bands of wire braid missing from along the shaft. the iwisa has bout a half inch band of alternating brass/steel wire at the pommel. i have others, shorter models that have no banding at all.

like this one, which is a good 6 in. shorter

this one has braided fibre bands and is about 35":

the balls frequently show fine cracks from curing, which as auntie says about khuk grips 'will not go anywhere. i fill them with superglue justincase. they are made of a hard dense african wood, ebony, ironwood or 'assegai wood. the really high status ones were carved from rhino horn, and are now not only VERY expensive, but VERY VERY illegal.

while watching the movie 'zulu' last nite i paid carefull attention to the zulus and the zulu officers. not one iwisa. all carried iklwa, some shots showed iklwa of varying lengths and head sizes,tho most shots showed a fairly standard pattern. some hand to hand shots these were seen to be floppy rubber! the ones where they were stuck into the ground were real tho. on anothe note, the used real zulus to make the movie, had a couple hundred. they did not have enough for the mass displays up on the hillside that appear to be thousands. they made a whole bunch of cardboard shields, nailed about 10 across to a plank, put a real zulu & shield either end and stretched them out. looks good, but if you know the trick, you can see them moving about in a bit too 'synchronised' groups without legs. :). all the shots of masses of real zulus used the same zulus over and over, miraculously resurrected after each battle. i hear they had great fun making the movie, and even made an unseen 'alternate' ending where they won. :D

Last edited:
I know how you feel.

When I was younger I did alot of traditional martial arts of this particular Asian nationality.

After dealing with years of the arrogance, delusions of grandeur, snide talk about how other martial arts suck and are inferior, and just how inherently superior and great their nationality and martial arts were, I had enough.

It was suffocating, and these guys were insufferable. So I had my rebellious streak and eventually I became persona non grata at the dojo because I just stopped drinking the koolaid.

Sure, these guys are black belts and can kick my ass hand to hand or with a sword, but I'm a freaking surgeon with the shotgun now, American style, yeah!
These guys are in every MA, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, European, Brazilian. In every profession or any group of humans for that matter. I bet there are even some Shotgun Gurus who want you to drink some cool-aid about which model is best or why some certain Ammo is superior.
Usually its not even about money but boosting their own ego. Works by either pretending (or actually believing) to know something better than others or by talking down other peoples knowledge and abilities.
Actually writing about them real dummies makes me feel pretty good myself ;-)
Works with MA's, opposing Parties, Football, Countries, Shotguns, Global Worming, you name it.

In MA either ignore whenever they talk crazy and only take the good stuff they can actually teach or find an entirely different set of teachers. Or get a shotgun, but it has to be Walnut. Everything else is for babies.

...Brazilian. ...Or get a shotgun, but it has to be Walnut. Everything else is for babies.

i prefer a 3in. field howitzer (with a hickory carriage of course) with grape shot.

i knew someone who had a brazilian :)D). it did not turn out well.

[video=youtube;k4tbwvTrFtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tbwvTrFtY&hd=1[/video]

for the brazilian....

LOL Kronc, That reminds me of the Indiana Jones swordsman or the guy from John Claude VanDamme's Kumite fight in Bloodsport. Very entertaining. As always, Love seeing more of your collection. You have such interesting pieces, Do you have them all displayed or are they sorted labeled and filed away in drawers and occasionally you change up the ones out displayed? It must be like a beautiful museum of weaponry at your home. Would almost be worth risking the moat monsters and dire wolves just to view it I bet.

LOL Kronc, That reminds me of the Indiana Jones swordsman or the guy from John Claude VanDamme's Kumite fight in Bloodsport. Very entertaining. As always, Love seeing more of your collection. You have such interesting pieces, Do you have them all displayed or are they sorted labeled and filed away in drawers and occasionally you change up the ones out displayed? It must be like a beautiful museum of weaponry at your home. Would almost be worth risking the moat monsters and dire wolves just to view it I bet.

sadly, i don't have room to display all, my favourites hang from hooks in my bedroom, more are on shelves in a wardrobe. spears stacked in the corners of the livingroom. large clubs along the wall, sticks and canes in an umbrella stand. my current favourite clubs (maori & zulu) and the iklwa, a boarding axe and asword are on the coffee table that fills my bay window area, 2 knives and a club on the table next to my TV chair, and half a dozen clubs on the dining area table i am trying to fogure out how to display (i've got a set of shelves to assemble when i get off my butt one day) a few mo9re less rfavoured swords are ballistolled and stacked in the closet. smaller fixed blade knives & folders live in a big box in the wardrobe, or in drawers.

i've only got a one bedroom flat in the castle to live in. the monsters and dire wolves, etc take up the rest. ah, well, a small price to pay for their services. which reminds me, it's time to feed the moat monsters. 20 of them last time i counted.
[video=youtube;ZbbL7ovODhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbL7ovODhA&hd=1[/video]
(p.s. - these are not mine, our moat is not quite that clear & i can't be bothered to video them while they are eating unannounced visitors.)
(it is a pain shredding them down small enough for my little golden darlings)

my iklwa:

...and remember,

Those are two of the coolest pieces of functional history I have ever seen. I love looking at cool old artifacts, I am envious and that doesn't happen to often. I didn't realize it was a Zulu song in the movie Gladiator... I am going to have to watch it again very soon. I haven't seen it on tv lately but its definitely a purchase worthy movie. I wish more people understood how brutal the British actually were, they are painted as "gentlemen" but history tells a different story.

I think you right JW... I consider myself lucky to have received a decent one.

One question JW... Do you make custom blades for people?

He is a banned member, so let's not dog pile too much here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan on his and have lost my cool with him before. However, in the spirit of Uncle Bill, let's just let it go. He can't defend himself...Although he would probably end up banned if left with a sufficient amount of rope to hang himself...it's happened before.

At any rate, long story short: HI rocks, we are so glad to have you here on board with us, and I think it's time to go chop something up:)

I agree... I will let it go, take a deep breath and relax knowing I am welcomed here and will never have to worry about that type of service with HI. Auntie has already open my eyes, I have had such a wonderful experience with HI. Its not just the kukri's and their high quality and beauty. I think it has more to do with the whole experience, this forum and the people in it bring a whole different dimension to the experience. Usually you purchase something and that's it, but with HI you get this forum, the support of the members here, great stories and pictures, a positive attitude, not to mention the super DOTD's. I started my kukri journey in many different places and on many different sites. I always found myself coming back here over and over again. Now I cant start my day without checking all the posts and pics. Thank you everyone for the experience.

Oh I also agree its time for me to do some cutting and post some videos of that. I have a KLUVK and a 15in AK that are just begging to be worked. I will do some work with them this weekend and post the pics this following Monday. I can't bring myself to dirty my 18 WWII but my blemish repaired AK and KLUVK with be receiving a good workout.

Last edited:
Gladiator Zulu war cry?
I'm not surprised.
Was right after the German leader screams "ihr seit verfluchte Hunde"
(You are dammed dogs)
Wow what a big insult. I bet very realistic and the legionairs must have been shaking in their boots.
Anyways super cool movie.
Thought I liked Spartacus (Kirk Douglas) better but then I saw it again recently. I mean A for effort, thousands of actors and such. In its time it was outstanding but today's special effects just make for more enjoyment.

Those are two of the coolest pieces of functional history I have ever seen. I love looking at cool old artifacts, I am envious and that doesn't happen to often.

Interestingly enough they still carry and train with them today.

Zulu stick fighting is one of the most brutal fighting forms. I would say most Zulu men who live in rural Natal learn some form of it and they are brought up with it as a natural part of their lives. You don't want to get into a stick fight with them, they are some of the toughest people I have ever seen.

I grew up in Durban and in the late 80's during the political problems the main Zulu political party, Inkatha would hold rally's at the soccer stadium (I lived about 2 miles away) .
It was common to have 20,000 Zulu men attend these rally's all armed with at least 2 sticks. No-one got in their way and generally there were never any problems.

Interestingly enough they still carry and train with them today.

Zulu stick fighting is one of the most brutal fighting forms. I would say most Zulu men who live in rural Natal learn some form of it and they are brought up with it as a natural part of their lives. You don't want to get into a stick fight with them, they are some of the toughest people I have ever seen.

I grew up in Durban and in the late 80's during the political problems the main Zulu political party, Inkatha would hold rally's at the soccer stadium (I lived about 2 miles away) .
It was common to have 20,000 Zulu men attend these rally's all armed with at least 2 sticks. No-one got in their way and generally there were never any problems.

Now that is one scary proposition! 20,000 armed and trained Zulu men is nothing to scoff at. They also are very civilized to have so many armed people with so little problems. The same could be said about states with little or no gun control, those are the safest states to live in. Its the states that outlaw weapons that have issues. When you outlaw guns/knives/sticks, only the outlaws will have them. Its as simple as that, but it evades even the most educated liberal ;).

Back