I think I may have found my next sharpener.

Hey guys, I absolutely stink at freehand knife sharpening. I have tried it freehand and came to the conclusion that I need a guided system.
Anyway, I was looking through some sharpeners on SMKW website and the DMT aligner pro kit caught my eye. I like the idea of having a clamp to guide the edge across the sharpener instead of having to hold the blade straight like I have to with my sharpmaker.
I have gotten decent results with the sharpmaker which is what I currently use. I would like something more precise and also get a better edge in the process. Would the DMT aligner pro kit be a good choice?

I have the DMT aligner which works fine on knives with a flat surface under the spine,,, with the newer full flat grind blades,, you will have problems holding the blade for equal angles on the sharpened apex.

Try the blue plastic "Aligner Guide" product,, small wedges from 10-20 degrees per side to maintain the blade to stone angle while free hand sharpening. Find on the larger A***** site, inexpensive and work very nicely.
I also use these for stropping the final edge after initial apex formation.

Regards,
FK

I have the DMT aligner which works fine on knives with a flat surface under the spine,,, with the newer full flat grind blades,, you will have problems holding the blade for equal angles on the sharpened apex.

Try the blue plastic "Aligner Guide" product,, small wedges from 10-20 degrees per side to maintain the blade to stone angle while free hand sharpening. Find on the larger A***** site, inexpensive and work very nicely.
I also use these for stropping the final edge after initial apex formation.

Regards,
FK

Never considered that, I will definitely look into it. Thanks

Gatco, lansky, dmt aligner are all decent systems. They all have some cons but overall they work.

I tried three different systems. All of them had significant shortcomings that discouraged me from using them and always kept me searching for a better system. Yes, it is expensive but consider the expense for multiple systems and time time spend messing with them. Save up if need be and invest in a WE. You will be satisfied.

Back