I upgraded my knife sharping equipment.

I always have wanted to try the Japan type wet stones, so after watching a few on line videos, i found many used the King wet stones so i researched their stones and found the King Combo 1000/6000 stone also i noticed many people in videos use a stone holder, so i found the Diamond stone holder and ordered both items.

After receiving both stone and holder i did as required with wet stones and soaked the stone in water for around five minuets, then i installed the stone in the holder a very simple task.

I then set stone and holder on my counter applied water to surface on 1000 side stone and started my first general medium sharping, then i switched to the 6000 fine side and finished the sharping task.

Using the holder made using the stone a lot more enjoyable without having to fight to keep stone steady, and the King wet stone really made getting my Chef knife very sharp.

1000 is a good grit (Nakato -medium)for routine maintenance. But if you do a lot of chip/repair work you'll want a 400 (arato-rough)to reduce cutting time. I've used down to 240 for that purpose but the stone wears away very quickly. If you sharpen a lot you may want a Nagura to level out your stone. 6000 is a good shiageto (polish/finishing) but I go up to 8000. Those seriously into it go much higher.
The synthetics like King and Naniwa do a good job. But if you get into Natural Stones be prepared to spend a fortune.

Back