I want a “Paul” knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a lone wolf Paul knife. If anyone has one for sale let me know.

Let me know your thoughts on these folders also.

They are a really unique and cool design. The quality of the Lone Wolf (as well as the Gerbers) is top notch too.

I really do want to know peoples opinions on them also. Figured this was the place

Understood, so could use this thread for the opinions, and post in the WTB to try to find one ;)

They are a really unique and cool design. The quality of the Lone Wolf (as well as the Gerbers) is top notch too.

Whats their feel when using? Is lockup good? I Carry a old Microtech kestrel and it still locks solid I want a edc that will last another 12 years.

i dunno, its pretty old skool.
and because of the nature of
its locking pivot, its handle
scales have a way of presenting
itself much like an after thought...
also the opening and closing
was never quite intended for
one hand opening :)
even though it can be done;
doing it single handed
takes some getting use to
and not quite secure a grip to flip at that
in that you depressed the button
with your thumb whilst applying
pressure with the forefinger having
it held upright in order to flip open
its handle in downwards motion.
and then you reverse the handle flip
upwards to shut the blade close.
its an outstanding lock technology
but applying its mechanism
single handedly is not why
one should buy this button lock pattern.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/should-i-get-a-gerber-paul-knife.130745/
https://www.chuckhawks.com/gerber_paul_knife.htm
http://www.dougritter.com/Paul_Poehlmann.htm

btw, the buck flashpoint is nowhere near
the status and strength of the paul lock.
it has a sliding button mechanism
that keeps the blade locked in both
open and closed position.
its imo more fun to play with
even though it looks like a cheap
klingon folder..

Last edited:
I dunno, I find it very easy to open and close one handed. At least with the knives I have, no flipping action is necessary, they fall open and closed by gravity alone.

Thanks guys! Very helpful info from all of you. Mixed opinions makes me want one even more. I think I want a executive or that defender model if I can come across one.

any intended future buy is
always going to be a highly
anticipated purchase :)
go for it !
you know you
want one real bad :)

I had one in 1980. It was a fantastic little knife. I have a nice little scar on my left index finger knuckle from opening a Molson with it.

I could open it 1 handed- Press the button and drop the handle.

The Paul lock was designed for one hand open, one hand close, locked when open, locked when closed. Those were three necessary design requirements. I think the designer approached it from an engineering perspective.

The Paul lock can develop a little play, but that can be adjusted out in the Lone Wolf designs, but not the Gerber ones. By design, the play has no effect on the locking of the blade. A little wiggle, but it cannot fail. I have the Defender, it's nice; sharp, holds an edge, big blade, thin package. It's a folding stiletto or a folding larger paring knife :)

The Paul really got me started with good knives many years ago. It caused my Browning 3-blade rancher to be retired for a while. I had the old all steel model.

Last edited:
I bought a series 2 in about 1995 . Carried it until about 2000. Still have it , its great knife.
Very tight action and i am not sure what steel it is, but allways held an edge .

The only thing bad about a Paul knife was that once you got it you would sit in front of the TV pushing the button, just opening and closing it. It was truly addictive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back