I Want A Combo Steel Maxamet Knife Like My Caly 3.5 Old School

GatorFlash1

Gold Member
I'm really getting PO'd about all the forum whining about the lack of toughness of the Spyderco Maxamet blades.

Why can't I get a combo steel blade Para 2, Millie. etc. with a center Maxamet cutting edge, and another tough, corrosion resistant steel layered over it? The idea isn't new and it sure isn't rocket science. I would like an inner layer of Maxamet and an outer layer of S35VN,3.5", carbon fiber.

Where is Brad Southard, or that Texas guy who worked with Spyderco and was a champion cutter, you know who I'm taking about, Gayle something or other He would make a great folder with a Maxamet center and another steel, not my favorite M4 but another that is more corrosion resistant steel for the outer layer.

Last edited:
The steel used for the outer layer has to use a similar heat treatment to the steel used for the core. Not sure what they could clad Maxamet with that could stand the temperatures involved. But I'm no metallurgy expert.

I can't imagine the tooling it would take to machine in and sharpen serrations on Maxamet. Then just to have the tips snap off.

Cladding won't help that situation.

With the cost of the Maxamet Manix 2 LW almost double the base version and close to $60 bucks more then S110V model. ...I doubt we'll see any cladded Maxamet blades. Even higher odds of seeing serrations on a production Maxamet knife, If it's even feasible.

From my own use, I doubt Maxamet would do well serrated, at least with Spyderco's standard serrations. Maybe with something more rounded, like the early Byrd serrations. I just sharpen mine on an extra-coarse DMT diamond hone and go to town.

Oh, and I don't think the OP had serrations in mind anyway. Pretty sure he was just wanting a laminated blade with a Maxamet core.

I have a couple of the laminate ones. Two HAP40/SUS410 and one V-TOKU2/SUS410 and I really like them.

I see a lot of folks complaining though about the laminate blades. I don't have an issue but it could be a hard sell on a high premium model.

Oh, and I don't think the OP had serrations in mind anyway. Pretty sure he was just wanting a laminated blade with a Maxamet core.

Nah. He did say serrations. It was in the title when I responded or I wouldn't have said what I said. He edited it after.

Back