I want Uhtred's sword from The Last Kingdom

lastkingdom768.jpg

I only hope it is as special as they make it appear to be.

https://www.spotern.com/en/wanted/t...-uhtred-alexander-dreymon-in-the-last-kingdom

I'm surprised he hasn't taken a big chunk out of that glorious hair of his each time he pulls it out, haha.

It's a great show. I wasn't expecting much when I started it, but by the second episode I got hooked.

well maybe maybe not, a Viking style sword is very short, I would say you have less of an issue with that than a broad sword or katana, this sword I am not sure the length but it is not impossible, impractical yes, after you do manage to draw it putting it back would be very hard

a Viking style sword is very short, I would say you have less of an issue with that than a broad sword or katana,

The typical Viking sword has a longer blade than the typical katana. Early Viking swords average about 75cm (29.5", which, allowing 1" for the habaki, is the same length as a 28.5" katana), and later ones were, on average longer (about 80cm on average).

Matters not, since Uhtred's sword isn't a Viking-style sword.

To heck with drawing it, I want to see him actually sheath the blade behind the back without looking. I do remember perusing a book with a series of photos showing how to draw a Nodachi from a back scabbard, and it looked like it would take some serious practice to do it with any speed or grace.

viking is 29" that is not really longer, a modern katana is 29" an actual ancient katana was 31"

The average katana length changed over time, and peaked at about 29" 3 times (early, 14th century; middle, c. 1600; modern), but has often been shorter (dropping to about 24" between these times of peak average length). The Viking average was 29" at the time when the average was shortest. As said above, about 80cm/31.5" was the later average (and the very late average is even longer). Even comparing the longest katana average with the shortest Viking average, the Viking is not "very short". Not "back scabbard short", for sure.

Japanese tachi were, on average, longer than katana, and 31" would be not at all unusual for one. Would be a huge katana, though.

Not that hard to find measurements. E.g., looking at 10 katana at https://www.aoijapan.com/ the average is just under 28" (as is the median). The katana with blade lengths given in the British Museum average 27.3". Etc. Look around, and you'll find that the average is well under 30".

Back