I wish GEC would make a proper lambsfoot knife.

Charlie is a genie!

A few years ago, before the Guardians came about, I had an idle wish that GEC make a proper lambsfoot knife. You all are familiar with the type -- jigged bone covers, fluted bolsters, with iron or steel fittings. To put it simply, I wanted a knife that George Mallory himself would have been proud to carry.

Look what I found in the mailbox. It was my wish, brought into tangible existence by our very own waynorth!

48253761427_f1e8c8b6e9_b.jpg

This isn't the first time Charlie has worked his magic. Back in August of 2008 I asked him -

This knife was the result. Not a Queen or S&M obviously, but better than I could've hoped for.

42766400552_d569d96ed5_b.jpg

Charlie has an exemplary eye for design. Because of his patience, passion, and long experience with fine cutlery, he knows what will make for a beautiful, well-built knife. Three of the finest knives ever made owe their genesis to Charlie's golden touch.

48253761302_334c5cc18d_b.jpg

What should I ask for next? I need to give this some serious consideration, a genie only grants three wishes and he's already filled two of mine. :eek:

:D
Award for most justified necro-post goes to you! :D:thumbsup:

Three fantastic knives, congratulations.

Now that GEC has shown a willingness to re-create older designs (e.g., the Charlow) as opposed to the squat, chunky patterns they earlier favored, I hope that they give some thought to making a classic English lambsfoot.

Lambfoot_zps67f03276.jpg

Image by waynorth
- Christian
Charlie is a genie!

A few years ago, before the Guardians came about, I had an idle wish that GEC make a proper lambsfoot knife. You all are familiar with the type -- jigged bone covers, fluted bolsters, with iron or steel fittings. To put it simply, I wanted a knife that George Mallory himself would have been proud to carry.

Look what I found in the mailbox. It was my wish, brought into tangible existence by our very own waynorth!

48253761427_f1e8c8b6e9_b.jpg

...​
:D

You must be young at heart, Christian! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Fairy tales can come true
It can happen to you
If you're young at heart

Congrats on the dream come true!

- GT

You must be young at heart, Christian! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Fairy tales can come true
It can happen to you
If you're young at heart

Congrats on the dream come true!

- GT

Thanks. :cool:

Random thought...would Frank Sinatra have carried a lamb foot?

Yes, made back when Bill Howard was at the helm at Queen. It's the knife that made me keen on slipjoints. For a long time it was my finest factory produced slipjoint, rivaled only by my pearl Winchester black box whittler and perhaps now by this Waynorth lamb foot. The one commonality between these knives is Bill Howard. That man knows his business.

Definitely a good looking knife. Was that an SFO for CC also? What year was it made? Any idea on production numbers for it?

Definitely a good looking knife. Was that an SFO for CC also? What year was it made? Any idea on production numbers for it?

Yes. It was his second SFO ever if memory serves, hence the notation HJ2. As to numbers, relatively few of them were made. 111 total if IIRC -- 75 goldenroot bone, 25 ebony, 9 candy stripe celluloid, and 2 stag. If you think getting a knife from one of the desirable GEC drops is hard, you obviously haven't been into slipjoints very long. You'll have to step up your game if you want to find one of these knives.

Good luck.

I don't recall saying anything like that, but thanks for the info.

Norcaldude Norcaldude My comment was not made at you specifically, though now that I re-read my post I know it sounds like it. Sorry I wasn't more clear, please don't take offense as none was intended.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. The search for one of these HJ2s will be like searching for an old vintage knife. It won't be easy. It may take years. But if you are successful, you'll be very pleased with the results.

I bet Charlie has some Cattle knife magic.

He does. Back in its infancy, eBay let an auction's bidders see each other's identities. My first dealing with Charlie was adversarial in nature. He outbid me on a impeccable Imperial cattleman.

I didn't let that discourage me though and a few months later I was able to find this beauty (prior to The Lolly Scramble was The Search). It was the first of many knives I own that have some sort of association with Charlie.

19892389736_53e810efce_b.jpg

Charlie loves knives. He doesn't discriminate. Any finely crafted piece of steel clad in bone, stag, or wood can bring a smile to his face.

It would look cool with that old style kick, as well as the rat-tail bolster!
You were soooo right!
48261491866_9624cb82d2_h.jpg

Before barlows and lamb foot knives, there were harness jacks. Charlie's first SFOs were variations of the HJ. This one, in goldenroot bone, is an HJ2.

16527270017_b0a88c9226_b.jpg

24571350423_01c19484ac_b.jpg

Yes. It was his second SFO ever if memory serves, hence the notation HJ2. As to numbers, relatively few of them were made. 111 total if IIRC -- 75 goldenroot bone, 25 ebony, 9 candy stripe celluloid, and 2 stag. If you think getting a knife from one of the desirable GEC drops is hard, you obviously haven't been into slipjoints very long. You'll have to step up your game if you want to find one of these knives.

Good luck.

Why oh why did you have to show me this one?!!!! :eek:;):D
I will forever be on the search from this time forward...
Seriously, thank you for posting this, I didn't know this one existed until now.
waynorth waynorth Charlie, you do have a magic touch.

Random thought...would Frank Sinatra have carried a lamb foot?

No. He would have cut it off and slipped it between the satin sheets of your bed as was done with the horse's head in the Godfather when the Don tried to get him a contract in Hollywood.

Last edited:
Before barlows and lamb foot knives, there were harness jacks. Charlie's first SFOs were variations of the HJ. This one, in goldenroot bone, is an HJ2.

16527270017_b0a88c9226_b.jpg

24571350423_01c19484ac_b.jpg
Wow! Thanks for sharing that one. I knew Charlie had harness jacks before his GEC HJ’s but I had no idea how good looking these were. That jigged bone has personality.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that one. I knew Charlie had harness jacks before his GEC HJ’s but I had no idea how good looking these were. That jigged bone has personality.

Right?! I think the bone on this run compares favorably with anything Charlie has chosen for his SFOs. It was the covers that drew me in. At the time I hadn't seen anything like them.

Right?! I think the bone on this run compares favorably with anything Charlie has chosen for his SFOs. It was the covers that drew me in. At the time I hadn't seen anything like them.
Yes. The jigged bone on these 93 Lambfoot knives is special. It is somewhat similar to what was done on Charlie’s #48 Diamond Jack.
VT7yFXC.jpg

Back