1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

I wonder how sharp knives on the prairie were kept?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Macchina, Sep 8, 2016.

1. I wouldn't mind meeting her...

2. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Raise you hand, guys, if you cringed when you read this! :eek: I can't be the only one. :D

-- Mark

3. NvG79

NvG79

May 24, 2011
    Thatscool[emoji1360]
    Thanks for sharing
    I keep liking my mordernpolishedoverkillshiny edge though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    That's really cool. He sounds like one of us! Do you know what knife brand was his favorite? Would you happen to have any pictures? Thanks for sharing!

5. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    He didn't have a favorite. I guess it was whatever was on sale or available at the hardware store. No real consistent pattern, either. One thing, though, most of the knives I have are probably post-war, after he stopped farming. He may have had favorites before that. There's a couple of Kabars, Camillus equal end jack (wish this one had more blade), a Schrade Walden 836 with peachseed bone (my favorite, an 80%er), a couple of Wostenholm IXL "Office Knives." All multi-bladed, what you would call "jackknives" even though they aren't true jacks. Nothing stainless, for sure. He did go for pretty solid knives as opposed to Imperial or the like. I'll get some pix up one of these days.

6. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    It dawned on me I probably had the answer to this question. The steamboat Bertrand sank in the Missouri with all of its cargo in 1865 headed for the frontier in Montana. Whetstones are listed in detail. There were a wide variety of sizes and types. Mostly mica schist from various quarries in the eastern U.S. and Arkansas types from various other locations. Pike manufacturing that eventually became Norton was a common brand. From the book "The Steamboat Bertrand and the Missouri River Commerce."