I wonder if recent product moves by LT was a start in different direction...

OK, is the "gouge" you are talking about on the underside of the left side scale?
Put this in the wrong place originally. Thanks for removing those misplaced images. I have learned a little more about posting images since I posted the first ones. I find Spark's advice to use the "media" option to be very helpful. It also explains why I see so many square images. Thanks, again.

Update: Looks like I did it again. I'm responsible for their removal. I thought the images were gone, but when I scrolled down further they were still there. I apologize for this unnecessary intrusion into your day. One last thing, please. Would you have kept the BBC or not? Ignore that if you find it offensive in any way.

Last edited:
So for better or worse, I now have to deal with GSM. The one I had was beautiful, even with the defect. Well balanced, fast in the hand. Yours must be awsome.

Please let the forum know how your experience goes with GSM. I hope you have a tracking number for your shipped knife to Cold Steel/GSM.

The BBC is one of Cold Steel's best knives they ever made (fighting or otherwise). I don't have a current version, but the feel / balance should be similar to the Original Japan version. The Japan version is fast as a laser and sharp as an atom splitter : )

Please let the forum know how your experience goes with GSM. I hope you have a tracking number for your shipped knife to Cold Steel/GSM.

The BBC is one of Cold Steel's best knives they ever made (fighting or otherwise). I don't have a current version, but the feel / balance should be similar to the Original Japan version. The Japan version is fast as a laser and sharp as an atom splitter : )

You can be sure I will keep the forum informed. I think this is a matter that will give us a good indication of what kind of responses we can expect from GSM/Cold Steel. I have dealt honestly with them, and I hope they will do so also. So far, they have been helpful, even making suggestions I had not thought of. We'll see. You bet I got a tracking number! I check on the progress every day. Thanks for the suggestion.

Put this in the wrong place originally. Thanks for removing those misplaced images. I have learned a little more about posting images since I posted the first ones. I find Spark's advice to use the "media" option to be very helpful. It also explains why I see so many square images. Thanks, again.

Update: Looks like I did it again. I'm responsible for their removal. I thought the images were gone, but when I scrolled down further they were still there. I apologize for this unnecessary intrusion into your day. One last thing, please. Would you have kept the BBC or not? Ignore that if you find it offensive in any way.

Sorry, I only saw this now. Your BBC with the gouge needs to be returned and replaced. As I mentioned I have returned and replaced a Japan made BBC just for discolored micarta. A gouge like yours is completely unacceptable.

Sorry, I only saw this now. Your BBC with the gouge needs to be returned and replaced. As I mentioned I have returned and replaced a Japan made BBC just for discolored micarta. A gouge like yours is completely unacceptable.

I agree completely. For myself, a flaw like that might be acceptable in a $50 knife, with acceptable meaning that I wouldn't care or complain. Once a knife passes a hundred bucks I expect it to be basically right. Once I hit a couple hundred I expect it to be perfect. I won't always return it but I won't be as happy as I might be.

For example, last week I got a Bark River Sandstorm with some kind of wood burl handle. It looks great from either side, the fit and finish are flawless, the sheath is extremely well done... But.... looking straight down at the back of the knife the dramatic wood patterns of the two scales do not match, giving it a sort of cammo look from that angle -- one many people might really appreciate, and which might have even been deliberate. The knife is NOT going back, but even something that petty is a bit disappointing at that price.

The BBC shown in this thread would be completely unacceptable to me.

I agree completely. For myself, a flaw like that might be acceptable in a $50 knife, with acceptable meaning that I wouldn't care or complain. Once a knife passes a hundred bucks I expect it to be basically right. Once I hit a couple hundred I expect it to be perfect. I won't always return it but I won't be as happy as I might be.

For example, last week I got a Bark River Sandstorm with some kind of wood burl handle. It looks great from either side, the fit and finish are flawless, the sheath is extremely well done... But.... looking straight down at the back of the knife the dramatic wood patterns of the two scales do not match, giving it a sort of cammo look from that angle -- one many people might really appreciate, and which might have even been deliberate. The knife is NOT going back, but even something that petty is a bit disappointing at that price.

The BBC shown in this thread would be completely unacceptable to me.
Your words mirror my thoughts almost exactly. I, too, may have kept it in a knife of far different price and quality, but not in one of Cold Steel's flagship products. Even so I thought I may have been over-reacting so I came here to ask those of you who have experience with theses things. Thank you very much for your supportive and well stated input. I understand what you mean concerning the knife that you are not going to send back, I have one or two like that. Disappointing, but does not rise to the level of 'No way am I keeping this.'

You were the first to respond to my S-O-S. I valued your input and my anxiety level started decreasing significanly when I read it. Especially as the pictures of the Tai-Pan (read that book, will never forget it) relieved my concerns over the VG-10 not being on the ricasso. Actually when I saw that groove and the missing VG-10 I wondered if I had a fake. When you showed me a missing steel designation is sometimes the norm for Cold Steel, I stopped panicking. Then came the input from other members. Taken all together, everyone was so helpful. Thank you for your input on keeping/not keeping. Having San Mai knives, you would know if the BBC I had was up to snuff or not. I am glad that we (and I include the others of same opinion) were in agreement.

Last edited:
That absolutely needs to go back to the Seller and get replaced.
I had a Seki made BBC that had not damaged, but discolored micarta and I returned it
for a clean one. I would never accept that gouge in the photo.
Sorry KenHash, I missed this until today! Replied in another post. Thanks again, and it went back. Now the ball is in GSM's court. As I said to another member, will keep the forum updated on their response. I think their actions may be a good preview of what we can expect from them in future.

In case anyone is wondering, I "like" these posts because I truly liked them. They were invaluable in helping me understand the situation clearly, and assured me my course of action was warranted. All these people coming to the aid of someone they don't even know.

I now see the problem in Post #30. Personally, I would send it back. That would drive me crazy. I have an original version from Japan - the fit & finish is Perfect.

As you said, "You can clearly see width and length, but not depth." For me, even if there is no "depth" to the mark - discoloration like that should not be accepted.

I've previously read this entire thread, but I can't remember where you purchased the knife. I would send it back to where you made the purchase. Contact them first to get an RMA #, or whatever is their procedure for returns.

I would not - at this time - return the knife to Cold Steel / GSM - as there have been issues when dealing with them (as seen in posts on this forum). Cold Steel was recently sold to GSM - covered in many posts on this forum.

Well, I have sent the knife, GSM has received it and I am currently corresponding with them to find out when they will be shipping me my replacement. I'm going to detail my interactions with GSM, but I think that has to go in GBU since it is vendor feedback. I'll be sure to keep you informed as to where to find the post after I write it.

You can be sure I will keep the forum informed. I think this is a matter that will give us a good indication of what kind of responses we can expect from GSM/Cold Steel. I have dealt honestly with them, and I hope they will do so also. So far, they have been helpful, even making suggestions I had not thought of. We'll see. You bet I got a tracking number! I check on the progress every day. Thanks for the suggestion.

Y Your Name Goes Here : I think that I may have inserted your user ID incorrectly in my post in GBD so I am going to try inserting a link to direct you to the post regarding my experience with GSM' customer service department. Hope I did not mess it up or double alert you. It is here https://bladeforums.com/threads/whats-your-experience-been-like-with-other-gsm-outdoors-companies-and-products.1764585/#post-20465013

Y Your Name Goes Here : I think that I may have inserted your user ID incorrectly in my post in GBD so I am going to try inserting a link to direct you to the post regarding my experience with GSM' customer service department. Hope I did not mess it up or double alert you. It is here https://bladeforums.com/threads/whats-your-experience-been-like-with-other-gsm-outdoors-companies-and-products.1764585/#post-20465013

Thank you for the update. Responded in the other thread.

Next year we will see what the product lineup looks like without Mr Thompson's personal preferences playing a role. Historically Cold Steel has offered products and prices based on what Lynn wanted to sell. It was his reputation after all, his baby.

But now dad is no longer there, and as is always the case the kid ain't listening to the old man anyway. My worthless predictions:

1. Most production moves to China as quickly as it can be managed. When it happens you can forget quality control, it will be gone.
2. Steel will be switched to cheap Chinese sourced trash -- the label stays the same but the quality and consistency is nonexistent. It other words, it will be Chinese Aus8, which is trash, rather than real Japanese Aus8 which is good to go.
3. Despite the first two predictions, I expect retail prices continue to skyrocket.
4. If the promised higher end knives like the 3V Bowles and Kukri and the Black Bear Classic are ever actually delivered (I am skeptical) they won't be around long or ever again. If you want one get it or forget it.
5. I suspect that GSM Cold Steel is buried in debt and will be fighting to stay alive. Whether they survive or not remains to be seen.

Just my thoughts and opinions. No offense intended to anyone.
Chris_Texas, As you know, I recently had to deal with GSM Outdoors/Cold Steel's customer service department as I updated in GBU. Fortunately for me, my experience ended well, but you have verbalized, here, all the things that were troubling me underneath as I dealt with them. It felt like your #2,3,and 4 were distinct future possibilities and now would be the time to get what you reallllly want before any of this happens. That is one of the reasons I was so motivated to get the Black Bear Classic while the opportunity existed. You wrote your assessment long before I had to deal with GSM, but if I read it correctly, I don't think it is any less a possibility today. I definitely got the feeling that "Cold Steel" as we knew it under Lynn Thompson no longer existed. That was just based on how they handled things, and the ads they subject you to while waiting for help. No mention of Cold Steel products at all.

Last edited:
I've been out of the knife loop for a few years, and I very recently took a look at what's now available.

I quickly discovered the SRK compact. I really really want one.

THEN....I discovered that none of the usual suspects here in Ontario seem to have any in stock. Neither does Amazon.ca.

THEN....I found about this Cold Steel/GSM acquisition. Now I don't know what to think. I believe the Compacts used sk5 steel and were manufactured in Taiwan (not China).

Does anybody have any idea if this is going to change...or if Cold Steel/GSM will even continue to produce the SRK Compact....or, dare I be so bold....when any new batches might be release and even make their way to Canadian distributors?

I'm hurt, I'm sad that my daughter can't go to school because of Ontarios' Covid lock-downs, and only a new knife will make me feel better. Maybe also a bottle of good scotch.

My new XL Espada came with the new GSM Cold Steel logo etched into the blade, (which is ever so slightly more stylistic than the old logo), but... is otherwise the same XL Espada as before the GSM purchase of Cold Steel. As before, it's marked as Taiwan made and has the S35VN steel marking that their catalog and website have it listed as being made of.
Same holds true with my two recently received specimens of their Recon Tanto model... they are marked Taiwan and SK5 steel. I have had quite a few other CS items shipped to me recently, and so far, no changes to them, they fitting the specs listed on their website/catalog.
Although this can all change in the near future, I have a feeling they'll keep things as specified in their 2021 catalog, at least for now. I feel they will likely be working throughout this year on what their 2022 offerings will be, and I think that's when we might see what direction they may be headed towards.
Just my opinion, but I believe that buying from their 2021 lineup, may be the last chance we have in basically buying Cold Steel products we are accustomed to. After that, all bets are probably off.
Of course, dealing with them for customer service, is another matter... That part of it is all new GSM Cold Steel, (we shall see). Fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:
Back