I'd Buy a Knife Over a Gun

Owen K.

Gold Member
I often hear the "if I were to spend over X number of dollars I'd just buy a gun". What if you are a huge gun guy, but already have all the guns you will ever need or want. There also is the point that gets thrown around, "You can do more with a gun than with a knife". That seems true, because guns can protect life and limb, BUT on a day to day basis you might use a knife more. Training and hunting are both great but those both require a time and monitary comitment to go out, buy ammo, and shoot. Knives can be with you all day every day to use and in some cases help you earn your wage. Mostly I am just wondering what are your thoughts on knife vs gun. Which would you buy and for what reason? Also what is your cut off amount? For me I have all the gats I need so I tend to put my money into blades. However, over $800 it will go to a gun or something else. That is my absolute max for a blade. (Only reached once) Cheers guys!

I own two guns and that's likely more than I'll ever need. I maintain them, practice with them so my aim doesn't deteriorate, but that's about it. They're tools to me in the same way hammers or screwdrivers are. I suspect that puts me in the minority here, but I don't watch for what new guns are coming out or lust after different ones, the ones I have are fine.

Knives, on the other hand, are my hobby and I could probably buy one every day and still find more that I wanted to at least handle. No idea why they hit me that way so much more than guns but, well, I'm here on Bladeforums, not on Glock Talk, so I can't deny that they do.

I am constantly buying/selling/trading both. Yes I do use my knife more, but like you said, a gun is much better at protecting life and limb, from hundreds of meters away at that.

In this day and age, I’m keeping my guns and stocking up on ammo. I have more knives than I know what to do with.

I own two guns and that's likely more than I'll ever need. I maintain them, practice with them so my aim doesn't deteriorate, but that's about it. They're tools to me in the same way hammers or screwdrivers are. I suspect that puts me in the minority here, but I don't watch for what new guns are coming out or lust after different ones, the ones I have are fine.

Knives, on the other hand, are my hobby and I could probably buy one every day and still find more that I wanted to at least handle. No idea why they hit me that way so much more than guns but, well, I'm here on Bladeforums, not on Glock Talk, so I can't deny that they do.
Yeah, same boat. On average, they cost less per unit and take up less space. Both pluses in my book. Just like the Swiss flag.:rolleyes:

I am constantly buying/selling/trading both. Yes I do use my knife more, but like you said, a gun is much better at protecting life and limb, from hundreds of meters away at that.

In this day and age, I’m keeping my guns and stocking up on ammo. I have more knives than I know what to do with.
Yup at this point I'm not selling anything firearm related, due to the political climate but I also have more than what I need so I'm happy. Never too many knives.;)

Would probably be more into guns if it wasn't for the cost and being a huge pain in the ass in MA. I have my LTC, and own a few, but these days trying to get ammo and range time just isn't worth the hassle.

I have enough guns, but more ammo is always good. Very hard to get it here in prices that aren’t stupid high.

Example: Remington Core-lokt in .270 is $80+ for a box of 20.

Barf.

7.62x39 used to be $20 a box, now it’s up to $50 and that’s for steel case corrosive junk.

Gag.

I can still buy good knives and not worry about illegal mag sizes, restrictions on shipping, variable Ammo rates and availability. Month long wait for a single handgun with neutered mags, and only one per permit, and only good for 30 days. Long gun permit only lasts a year. Full background checks and the police chief has to sign off. No concealed carry options here either. It sucks.

At least with knives (so far) I can still purchase and get most offerings with the exception of Bali’s and OTF.

I don’t particularly have any desire to purchase knives over $150. I feel guilty using them and don’t value the gains of quality over that price point at this stage of my life.

I have enough guns, but more ammo is always good. Very hard to get it here in prices that aren’t stupid high.

Example: Remington Core-lokt in .270 is $80+ for a box of 20.

Barf.

7.62x39 used to be $20 a box, now it’s up to $50 and that’s for steel case corrosive junk.

Gag.

I can still buy good knives and not worry about illegal mag sizes, restrictions on shipping, variable Ammo rates and availability. Month long wait for a single handgun with neutered mags, and only one per permit, and only good for 30 days. Long gun permit only lasts a year. Full background checks and the police chief has to sign off. No concealed carry options here either. It sucks.

At least with knives (so far) I can still purchase and get most offerings with the exception of Bali’s and OTF.

I don’t particularly have any desire to purchase knives over $150. I feel guilty using them and don’t value the gains of quality over that price point at this stage of my life.
Those ammo prices are insane! At the moment, can't even buy 9mm in PA because of the shortages.
Also those gun laws are BS. Rest of us better stay vigilant or its going to be the same way in the rest of the states.

For me it's easier to sell/trade knives. I can also fidget knives. If you're fidgeting firearms, you're doing it wrong. :cool:
iu

Last edited:
Buy knives, they are way cheaper, last for ever!

Way cheaper? Have you seen the prices for Shiros, Koenig, Brown etc.? Also, I've got a model 12 Remmy 870 pump shotgun that is lasting forever. lol. But I do see your point.

Last edited:
As a native southerner, I have acquired dozens of hand-guns and rifles and hundreds so knives... Now that I am retired I am being forced to sell off parts of my collections for spending money....

All that said, my most expensive knife is a custom Shirogorov, worth over two grand, and my most expensive hand-gun is a collectable German Walther PPKS worth about the same....

As much as I like guns, I'll probably be putting more into knives from here on out. I have almost all my favorite guns as well as good carry guns. The only one I'm still waiting to get is the 2020 Python when my turn on my local shop's waiting list comes. I was six down when I signed up in January and I'm still waiting.

Knives have a ton more advantages though. They don't consume expensive ammunition, can be use much more frequently in your day-to-day, and it's much easier to take my favorites with me wherever I go. For example, taking my Sebenza with me wherever is no issue at all but my Colt SAA doesn't exactly make a good carry gun.

I often hear the "if I were to spend over X number of dollars I'd just buy a gun". What if you are a huge gun guy, but already have all the guns you will ever need or want. There also is the point that gets thrown around, "You can do more with a gun than with a knife". That seems true, because guns can protect life and limb, BUT on a day to day basis you might use a knife more. Training and hunting are both great but those both require a time and monitary comitment to go out, buy ammo, and shoot. Knives can be with you all day every day to use and in some cases help you earn your wage. Mostly I am just wondering what are your thoughts on knife vs gun. Which would you buy and for what reason? Also what is your cut off amount? For me I have all the gats I need so I tend to put my money into blades. However, over $800 it will go to a gun or something else. That is my absolute max for a blade. (Only reached once) Cheers guys!
It’s a free country. Get both! :D Get a 1911 and a Paramilitary 2, a Busse and an AR-15.

A lot depends on your lifestyle and daily activities of course. If you hunt often, you need both a quality rifle and quality knife set. If you spend plenty of time around seawater, it may be a good idea to invest in an H1 or LC200N blade.

Realistically for me, I usually don’t get knives north of $500. Every knife I get I intend to use in some fashion. Any more expensive than that, I’d rather spend on a blaster. Pew pew!

As much as I like guns, I'll probably be putting more into knives from here on out. I have almost all my favorite guns as well as good carry guns. The only one I'm still waiting to get is the 2020 Python when my turn on my local shop's waiting list comes. I was six down when I signed up in January and I'm still waiting.

Knives have a ton more advantages though. They don't consume expensive ammunition, can be use much more frequently in your day-to-day, and it's much easier to take my favorites with me wherever I go. For example, taking my Sebenza with me wherever is no issue at all but my Colt SAA doesn't exactly make a good carry gun.
I heard the 2020 Python had problems though? I saw it fail to go boom in one of Hickok45’s YouTube vids. I hope they fixed it by now.

Back