ID/guidance: Is this an "ADZE"? [Need to get a new handle and rehang this]

Guys, is this an ADZE? (It's my neighbor's...he's an old-timer. He wants/needs to have it rehung. I told him not to bother going to Home Depot looking for a handle lol.) If this is not referred to as an adze, please let me know the proper term for this tool.

fnyHHqe.jpg

The measurements of the eye are approx 2" x 1-1/2" x 2-3/4". Are these standard dimensions? Are there handles available for a tool like this? I reviewed the Seymour Midwest Link handles website but they only had one entry for adzes, "Carpenter's Adze Handles" and it was without any dimensions. Also, I don't think this is a carpenter's tool! Or at least that's not how my neighbor has been using it. He digs in his garden with it...

Wsh3QNW.jpg

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!!

VLA8YNJ.jpg

• Guys, is this an ADZE? (It's my neighbor's...he's an old-timer. He wants/needs to have it rehung. I told him not to bother going to Home Depot looking for a handle lol.) If this is not referred to as an adze, please let me know the proper term for this tool.
fnyHHqe.jpg

The measurements of the eye are approx 2" x 1-1/2" x 2-3/4". Are these standard dimensions? Are there handles available for a tool like this? I reviewed the Seymour Midwest Link handles website but they only had one entry for adzes, "Carpenter's Adze Handles" and it was without any dimensions. Also, I don't think this is a carpenter's tool! Or at least that's not how my neighbor has been using it. He digs in his garden with it...

Wsh3QNW.jpg

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!!

VLA8YNJ.jpg
Oh what a shame! It definitely is an adze, and it IS most certainly a carpenter's tool! It's for dressing, or smoothing lumber. I'm no expert on them, but I believe ones like that are called a "foot adze". Ones with nothing on the poll nor lipped.
But to answer your question the eye sizes you mentioned are similar to both my adze and the new (it's old, just brand new and old) adze helve I have. So buying that one from link should work just fine. Just bear in mind it'll be curved, as an adze haft should be.
That adze appears to have plenty of carbon steel left so it's not too late too save the tool.
Might I suggest you get him a grub hoe? You can find them cheap pretty much anywhere. Or even a new pulaski. Anything but a nice old carpenter's adze! :confused::D
This is the shape of a replacement adze helve; 1597279152750114645001763318386.jpg
Anyhow, hope that helped.

Oh what a shame! It definitely is an adze, and it IS most certainly a carpenter's tool! It's for dressing, or smoothing lumber. I'm no expert on them, but I believe ones like that are called a "foot adze". Ones with nothing on the poll nor lipped.
Anyhow, hope that helped.

Wow Josh thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. Really appreciate the info. Now I see that if I'd selected one of the two finish options for the handle on the item page, it would've displayed dimensions and other details...
kTPzysL.jpg

Back