I'd like a new knife

Hi,I haven't been carrying knives very long, but the knives I have carried are a kershaw shuffle II which i liked the shape of a lot. On the shuffle I really enjoyed the blade shape but it was a little small for my hands. I now carry a benchmade bugout which I love, I don't have a single problem, from the size of it,the weight of it and deep carry clip are fantastic. I only want a new knife to be able to switch it up a little. I have been looking at flipper knives and I'm interested in ZT and WE knives, or if anyone has another brand that they suggest I'll gladly take a look. (btw my budget is around $160) -THANK YOU

Check the exchange here and your money will likely go a lot further on a lightly used or even new in box ZT or Spyderco. Oh, and welcome to BF.

Last edited:
what kind of knife do you want? heavy duty, good slicer, something that disappears in your pocket?

Hello. I've carried traditional slipjoints all my life until the last year or so. I still carry a traditional for use with a small task,but I really like the versatility of the more modern folders. Kershaw makes some good knoves,but I've fallen in love with spydercos. The blades with ffg and the leaf like shape cut better than any other I've used. They make several knives around your price poimt. Of all the ones I've handled the manix 2 and the native 5 feel the best in hand to me. In the lightweight version both can be had for under 100 dollars.they aren't flippers but are 2 of the best knives I've ever handled

If you "really like" the shuffle, except for its small size, then maybe check out a kershaw knockout or a Cold Steel recon one or American Lawman for a larger knife with somewhat similar ergo's.

Kizer and Stedemon both have a few interesting models gor everyone's taste.

Wellcome Blade:) If your starting out with Kershaw's like I did and are now looking to scoreing a nice flipper than you should think about moveing up to ZT's. They offer many shapes and sizes to fit most anyones needs and thay are buttery smooth. WE also makes some beautful stuff if don't mind their color schemes

With a budget of 160$ you may be able to get 2 nice knives.
Probably find a zt AND a spyderco... welcome to BT and good luck in your search.
As previously stated the sales exchange would be a good place to start.

Russ

Hi,I haven't been carrying knives very long, but the knives I have carried are a kershaw shuffle II which i liked the shape of a lot. On the shuffle I really enjoyed the blade shape but it was a little small for my hands. I now carry a benchmade bugout which I love, I don't have a single problem, from the size of it,the weight of it and deep carry clip are fantastic. I only want a new knife to be able to switch it up a little. I have been looking at flipper knives and I'm interested in ZT and WE knives, or if anyone has another brand that they suggest I'll gladly take a look. (btw my budget is around $160) -THANK YOU
Recommend a Real Steel m390 Megalodon. Two different versions and each around your price range. The eclipse is the 2018 version with carbon fiber and different blade design. The 2017 is without a doubt the coolest of the two because of its flowing blade design and full flat grind. They first introduced the 2017 version with needle bearings but have since switched to ceramic ball bearings. Best quality flippers for the price.

For zt I'd recommend avoiding because they are art knives. But if you like them get one they are nice flippers. 0562cf or 0562 non cf is the most popular model. They are too thick behind the edge for any real slicing and they have some lock geometry issues. But the quality of materials is there for a really good price.

We knives.... Ehh. They are fairly nice overall. But nothing special. I have a few and I've always had minor issues or annoyances. People praise them though.
Id recommend going with there budget flipper the civivi brand. They use a good heat treatment on a budget steel and it's very thin behind the edge for slicing. And everyone says it's a good flipper for the price. So it's a decent tool. Then if you like move up and try some of there titanium knives.

Last edited:
As I recommend with most newcomers, try to find a Spyderco that you like. Theyre very good slicers. You can find para 2’s for like 100-110 on the exchange. I’m biased for sure, I don’t like flippers.

Reactions: Mo2
Go traditional. Nail nick, no thumbstud or thumbhole, slipjoint or lockback, no pocket clip, stainless or carbon, nice looking scales, something your great grandfather might have carried.

Zieg

Spyderco Manix 2. The PM2 gets recommended a lot, and it was what I bought first, but the Manix is an amazing knife. Absolutely positively one of the ergonomic-ist platforms I’ve owned. I’m partial to the Caged Ball Bearing Lock(CBBL), with liners and G10(mine is carbon fiber). Though if you don’t mind the FRN, the Lightweight model could suit you more and there’s more steel choices for that one these days it seems.
I know it’s not a flipper, but every knife nut should try at least one Spyderco. Be it a PM2, Delica, or any other model.

1MHWBrF.jpg

Go hunt down a spyderco mantra for discontinued price. It's amazing for $135 I just bought a second I like it so much. Full ti lock insert and m4, believe me when I say I tried to kill my first one and I couldn't. Tip never broke lock is solid as rock for folder purposes and amazing ergos. If u can maintain the m4 it will treat u good. Ignore the bugout and 200 it's the only pic of my new mantra.
C28O9rg.jpg

For Spyderco you can check out their Byrd line before investing in their normal line so you can see what you like and don't like.

Or find a local knife shop and hold a bunch of knives till one feels right. I discovered some of the Spydercos I was eyeing didnt feel right to me so I saver a few hundred dollars in buying and trying knives I wouldn't have liked.

Back