ID this buck knife?

Just bought the top knife in this picture because it looked like it would make a good bushcraft folder. I was told it is a buck, but he doesnt know what it is specificly.

Can anyone help me out?

photo7.jpg

Its a Buck Cross Lock. They made them in several models with both single and double blades.

Its the model 180s1 crosslock and made its' first appearance in the '96 catalog, along with the s2 serrated version. These came in several colors. I buffed off the coating on mine and like the almost mirror polish it has. Nice knife.

whats the lock like? thick enough to use for woods tasks? and any idea of what kinda steel it is?

I'm guessing here but I would imagine it is whatever Buck was using then 440 or 425mod, not sure they sharpen up well and hold a good edge. The liner lock is kind of thin though so i'm not sure it would hold up to what ever you have in mind. What are you thinking of using it for. They were made for hunting and different models come with hooks for skinning and such. I'm not to keen on the idea of a folder for the dressing of animals (my opinion). The blade well gets all gooped up and its hard to clean. I use mine in my EDC rotation.

Was thinking of this as a "folding bushcraft" knife, like whittling, carving notches, fire prep (NOT batonning)

Was thinking of this as a "folding bushcraft" knife, like whittling, carving notches, fire prep (NOT batonning)

Hi nc527,
That Buck 180 cross lock will do just fine for what you want it to do. It will take and holds an edge just fine. I used one just like that as my only EDC for a few years; it handled every task I tossed it's way. It even field dressed, skined and parted out a vary large Brahma Bull....all by it's self, had to put a new edge on it a few times. But, it did the job!
jb4570

Even if it doesnt work so well for bushcraft, I still only payed 10 bucks for it, so itll make a good edc.

Back