ID two hatchet heads

RickW

Basic Member
Here are two hatchet heads I'm having trouble identifying.
The first one has a hammer handle installed in it. It dosen't fit, and I'm going to install a proper one once I ID the head.
Here are some pictures:
5QXCPJU.jpg
EUwFHCn.jpg
erTngcC.jpg
yZskZrP.jpg

It measures about 5 3/8 inches long by 2 7/8 inches across the blade. it is about thick 11/16 inch across the eye. The whole hatchet including the handle weighs about 1 1/2 lbs. It is marked "PRESBREY".
What is the proper name for this style hatchet? If it were a full-size axe, I would call it a Hudson's Bay pattern, but does that pattern apply to hatchets as well?
The second head is small, too. It is unmarked. Here are the pictures:
v5uLLMo.jpg
KjmZooE.jpg
GkIpbOD.jpg

It measures about 5 3/8 inches long and 3 1/8 inches across the blade. It is 13/16 across the eye.I know it's unmarked, but are there any characteristics that could help identify the maker?
Thanks,
Rick W

Attachments

• IMG_3438.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3441.jpg
    IMG_3441.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3442.jpg
    IMG_3442.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
The first one has a hammer handle installed in it. It dosen't fit, and I'm going to install a proper one once I ID the head.
Here are some pictures:
5QXCPJU.jpg
EUwFHCn.jpg
erTngcC.jpg
yZskZrP.jpg

It measures about 5 3/8 inches long by 2 7/8 inches across the blade. it is about thick 11/16 inch across the eye. The whole hatchet including the handle weighs about 1 1/2 lbs. It is marked "PRESBREY".
What is the proper name for this style hatchet? If it were a full-size axe, I would call it a Hudson's Bay pattern, but does that pattern apply to hatchets as well?
v5uLLMo.jpg
KjmZooE.jpg
GkIpbOD.jpg

It measures about 5 3/8 inches long and 3 1/8 inches across the blade. It is 13/16 across the eye.I know it's unmarked, but are there any characteristics that could help identify the maker?
Thanks,
Rick W
Sportsman's/Hunter's axe. It is a little bit heavy but I can see influence of Kephart. Search for Colclesser Bros. and L.A. Sayre Hunter's axes.

Here are some pictures:
5QXCPJU.jpg
EUwFHCn.jpg
erTngcC.jpg
yZskZrP.jpg

v5uLLMo.jpg
KjmZooE.jpg
GkIpbOD.jpg

Thanks,
Rick W
The first hatchet is really interesting. I suspect a hardened poll due to lack of mushrooming and the small chipping. Presbrey probably learned of the hardened poll when he tried to press his name into it. It is a later all steel axe.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Definitely not a factory stamp on the 1st, you can see the raised edges around the lettering where it was stamped after it was made.

Probably the original owners name.